Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

Re: Dick Williams Needs To Resign

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    This thread is still dumb because why on earth would DW resign.

The only reason would be if he has an offer elsewhere he would rather have, I think Cincy is his dream baseball job considering the connections. Or he has some ridiculous offer outside of baseball, very likely not the case.
    Yeah, they’re not going to fire a nepotism hire. We get that. That’s a strong argument against nepotism.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (08-03-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The only reason would be if he has an offer elsewhere he would rather have, I think Cincy is his dream baseball job considering the connections. Or he has some ridiculous offer outside of baseball, very likely not the case.
    He should resign because it's the right thing to do.. It's what's best for this franchise that he claims to love. He should be very aware that he is incompetent, and his incompetence is damaging the Cincinnati Reds.

If he has true integrity and a strong moral compass than he should do what is right, and that is make the decision to step away from the job for which he cannot handle. For the team. For the fans. For the city.

Hopefully Williams does the right thing.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (08-03-2020)

I never said he would resign.

Also, this thread is a good one, IMHO. There has been some good discussion in here.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

7. Likes:

REDREAD (08-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I never said he would resign.

Also, this thread is a good one, IMHO. There has been some good discussion in here.
    Okay, and what benefit does he get from resigning? You said he needs to resign.

Usually people resign to take a different position or because they are getting fired and it is a way to avoid getting “fired”.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Okay, and what benefit does he get from resigning? You said he needs to resign.

Usually people resign to take a different position or because they are getting fired and it is a way to avoid getting “fired”.
    I say he needs to resign instead of be fired because he is the son of an owner, therefore he can’t and won’t be fired. The only way he leaves is if he resigns.

Again, I never said he would actually resign. I am saying he needs to resign for the team to take the next step.

I say he needs to resign instead of be fired because he is the son of an owner, therefore he can’t and won’t be fired. The only way he leaves is if he resigns.

Again, I never said he would actually resign. I am saying he needs to resign for the team to take the next step.
    If you believe the nepotism angle then that’s fantasy land.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

11. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-02-2020)

If you believe the nepotism angle then that’s fantasy land.
    What? It’s fantasy land to believe the only reason Dick Williams has this job and keeps it is because he is literally a family member of some of the owners?

For real?

13. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-02-2020),REDREAD (08-03-2020)

What? It’s fantasy land to believe the only reason Dick Williams has this job and keeps it is because he is literally a family member of some of the owners?

For real?
    No. Fantasy land that he is going to resign out of goodwill if the nepotism angle is the reason he has and maintains the job.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 08-02-2020 at 09:07 PM.

They call me "chef"

The Reds won two in a row and now everyone in the “Fire Williams” mob is suddenly silent. Exactly what I thought.

16. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    The Reds won two in a row and now everyone in the “Fire Williams” mob is suddenly silent. Exactly what I thought.
    They actually kinda only won 1.5 in a row
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

The thread title's incomplete. Who does Williams need to resign? Bauer?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

19. Likes:

757690 (08-03-2020),Griffey012 (08-03-2020),RedTeamGo! (08-03-2020),Revering4Blue (08-03-2020),RichRed (08-03-2020),Stray (08-03-2020),westofyou (08-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Fire Dick! So you were wrong.

21. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If you want to discuss Williams objectively and unemotionally, we need to start with this past off-season. He got very high marks from many Reds fans. He engineered major pickups like Moose and Castellanos. And while Reds have opened poorly, it’s only seven games, and previous seasons were different, this team has a stronger roster.

But it’s fair at this point to begin to consider two major, impactful decisions that don’t turn on seven games and represent strategic choices by the front office.

1. The hiring of David Bell. Bell had lots of attributes but no history as a winning manager. That kind of hiring is always a risk. Bell’s smart, knowledgeable, very experienced in baseball. But he had no specific track record of doing the thing required - winning as manager.

2. Decision not to revamp the bullpen. I could go on about Iglesias. His numbers showed decline. Beyond Iggy, Reds don’t have enough dynamic late inning arms. Yes, Reds have pitching coaches who can help guys. But they obviously made the strategic decision not to prioritize this area in a meaningful way.

In both cases, there is still a chance it can work out, it’s early in an oddball season. And the pen can be changed, certainly by 2021. But if I were ownership counting on a successful 2020, these would be the areas of my concern with this management, Williams, Krall and others.
    I've been largely in favor of what Williams has done given the financial constraints it seems he's had to deal with at times.
    Each of the last two offseasons I've been a proponent of adding more bullpen arms.
    Unfortunately, if you look at a lot of the top bullpen signings in 2019, many of them had poor seasons.
    You can absolutely fault Dick for not doing more to address that.
    BP arms can be a bit of a crapshoot, though.
    Managing your bullpen correctly is really important.
    David Hernandez and Jared Hughes were lights out in 2018. Bell kept going to the well with them in early 2019 when they were getting destroyed.
    The bullpen has held this team back since 2019, but I have to blame both Bell and Williams.
    It's also been incredibly unfortunate that every guy we brought up through the system who we thought might be an impact BP arm the last 4-5 years fell on his face for the most part.
    TJ Antone might be the first in a long time to do the opposite.
    Hopefully having DJ and Boddy will increase our organization's chances of developing some BP arms.
    Last edited by OGB; 08-03-2020 at 02:18 PM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

23. Likes:

Griffey012 (08-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    The thread title's incomplete. Who does Williams need to resign? Bauer?
    Who let you out of the Panic Room? LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Fire Dick! So you were wrong.
    Dick who?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    They actually kinda only won 1.5 in a row
    Well, since many claimed each game is worth about 2.8 games when we lost, I think we actually won 5.6 games yesterday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

26. Likes:

757690 (08-03-2020),HammerTime (08-03-2020),Patrick Bateman (08-03-2020),Ron Madden (08-03-2020)

Turn Off Ads?