Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 60

Thread: Massive Explosion in Lebanon

  1. #16
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    8,931

    Re: Massive Explosion in Lebanon

    I kinda think that if there was an explosion that massive anywhere in the world, people would immediately start speculating terrorist attack. And I mean, there is quite a lot of violence and tensions in the Middle East. I’ll be the last one to dispute the racism of America in general, but I don’t think that’s necessarily what it’s about in this scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member LeDoux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    672

    Re: Massive Explosion in Lebanon

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Lol no

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...rut/index.html



    He clearly made that claim up on the spot based on it happening in the Middle East, which gets back to my earlier question/post.
    I can understand being skeptical of any official statements on... well, anything. But your source is a CNN article citing anonymous sources.

    But the defense officials, who declined to be identified so they could speak freely, said they didn't know what the President was talking about.
    And you think this is an open and shut case of Trump making this up!? You do know that CNN has an axe to grind here right?

  4. #18
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    8,931

    Re: Massive Explosion in Lebanon

    Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    I can understand being skeptical of any official statements on... well, anything. But your source is a CNN article citing anonymous sources.



    And you think this is an open and shut case of Trump making this up!? You do know that CNN has an axe to grind here right?
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

  5. Likes:

    RedTeamGo! (08-06-2020),WrongVerb (08-06-2020)

  6. #19
    Member RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    18,810

    Re: Massive Explosion in Lebanon

    Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    I can understand being skeptical of any official statements on... well, anything. But your source is a CNN article citing anonymous sources.

    And you think this is an open and shut case of Trump making this up!? You do know that CNN has an axe to grind here right?
    The president would never make stuff up. He's quite well informed about almost everything but is perfectly willing to say "I don't know" when he doesn't have a good answer.

    Anonymous defense officials though? Sounds like the lamestream media just making things up against to make God Emperor look bad again. Amirite?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  7. Likes:

    dougdirt (08-06-2020),marcshoe (08-06-2020),RFS62 (08-06-2020),SteelSD (08-07-2020)

  8. #20
    Member LeDoux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    672

    Re: Massive Explosion in Lebanon

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The president would never make stuff up. He's quite well informed about almost everything but is perfectly willing to say "I don't know" when he doesn't have a good answer.

    Anonymous defense officials though? Sounds like the lamestream media just making things up against to make God Emperor look bad again. Amirite?
    RedsManRick. I remember reading your many of your post and thinking "thats a pretty good argument." You often put evidence behind your claims. Now I read this.

    Did you even read all of my post? In the first sentence I talked about legitimate skepticism. And now your response is to pretend you can read my mind and sarcastically imply that my devotion to Trump makes me blind to reason. What do you know about my political views? It is obvious to me very little. And what do you know about any of this explosion? That is central topic of this thread. Do you have any inside sources you wish to share?

    I do not consider smugness to be a persuasive argument. Do you have anything else of substance to add or do you want to continue mocking me for daring to question the objectivity of these reporters and their anonymous sources? I am trying to sort this out. But I have skepticism toward both sides. Your reply leads me to believe you are very selective in your skepticism.

  9. Likes:

    Rojo (08-06-2020)

  10. #21
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,177

    Re: Massive Explosion in Lebanon

    Politics should be reserved for the politics area.

  11. #22
    Winning is fun.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,578

    Re: Massive Explosion in Lebanon

    If anyone is interested, The NYT's podcast "The Daily" has a good first person account from one of their reporters who is stationed there. She was injured in the explosion (needed a few wounds stitched up).

  12. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    2,691

    Re: Massive Explosion in Lebanon

    Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    RedsManRick. I remember reading your many of your post and thinking "thats a pretty good argument." You often put evidence behind your claims. Now I read this.

    Did you even read all of my post? In the first sentence I talked about legitimate skepticism. And now your response is to pretend you can read my mind and sarcastically imply that my devotion to Trump makes me blind to reason. What do you know about my political views? It is obvious to me very little. And what do you know about any of this explosion? That is central topic of this thread. Do you have any inside sources you wish to share?

    I do not consider smugness to be a persuasive argument. Do you have anything else of substance to add or do you want to continue mocking me for daring to question the objectivity of these reporters and their anonymous sources? I am trying to sort this out. But I have skepticism toward both sides. Your reply leads me to believe you are very selective in your skepticism.
    A Russian ship ran out of money in 2013, illegally docked in Beirut, and left behind 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate. About a year later they moved it off the ship and put it in a warehouse. Several people were trying to get the Lebanon government to move, sell or dispose of the ammonium nitrate, but they didn't because well they aren't very good at governing. They also stored explosives in the same building. 2 days ago while fixing a metal door by welding it, a fire started that was accelerated by the explosives and ultimately blew up 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate that leveled the city.

    That's what happened. You can go to any reputable source you want (including CNN) and you'll get that story.

  13. Likes:

    RedTeamGo! (08-06-2020),SteelSD (08-07-2020),WrongVerb (08-06-2020)

  14. #24
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    50,059

    Re: Massive Explosion in Lebanon

    Port Chicago type of mishap

  15. #25
    Member LeDoux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    672

    Re: Massive Explosion in Lebanon

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    A Russian ship ran out of money in 2013, illegally docked in Beirut, and left behind 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate. About a year later they moved it off the ship and put it in a warehouse. Several people were trying to get the Lebanon government to move, sell or dispose of the ammonium nitrate, but they didn't because well they aren't very good at governing. They also stored explosives in the same building. 2 days ago while fixing a metal door by welding it, a fire started that was accelerated by the explosives and ultimately blew up 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate that leveled the city.

    That's what happened. You can go to any reputable source you want (including CNN) and you'll get that story.
    Okay, fair enough. Let's call this the leading hypothesis. It may turn out exactly as you just described. But I'd like to maintain an open mind for awhile. I don't reject the bomb hypothesis just because I find Trump disagreeable. And our media has a nasty habit of sourcing each other instead of getting into the details of those directly involved. I'll keep an open mind. But I am growing weary of being brow-beaten by people parroting their favored form of filtered news. Is that unreasonable?

  16. Likes:

    Rojo (08-11-2020)

  17. #26
    TyrannoSuarez Wrecks WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    15,472

    Re: Massive Explosion in Lebanon

    I would think any terrorist organization worth its salt would have claimed responsibility by now.

    Accidents do happen, and despite the geographic location, it's not unreasonable to think that this was a horrific accident, just as is being claimed.

    If more information comes to light to suggest this was some sort of attack (like, say, an incendiary device was used to detonate the explosive material), then we can change our ideas. But that's not what this appears to be.
    Gratitude + Forgiveness = Happiness

  18. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    10,382

    Re: Massive Explosion in Lebanon

    Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I would think any terrorist organization worth its salt would have claimed responsibility by now.
    I was thinking Israel. But, you know, I'm a hater.

  19. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    2,691

    Re: Massive Explosion in Lebanon

    Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    Okay, fair enough. Let's call this the leading hypothesis. It may turn out exactly as you just described. But I'd like to maintain an open mind for awhile. I don't reject the bomb hypothesis just because I find Trump disagreeable. And our media has a nasty habit of sourcing each other instead of getting into the details of those directly involved. I'll keep an open mind. But I am growing weary of being brow-beaten by people parroting their favored form of filtered news. Is that unreasonable?
    Is what unreasonable?

  20. #29
    Member LeDoux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    672

    Re: Massive Explosion in Lebanon

    Update!

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Lol no

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...rut/index.html



    He clearly made that claim up on the spot based on it happening in the Middle East, which gets back to my earlier question/post.

    A brief anecdote then my point. Last year one of my oldest friends (+30 years) was working with a large group on planning the US withdrawal. He is an officer in the Navy. An honest guy. He was not in charge of thesis group, but he was one of the few people that knew that plan, the risks, the contingencies very well. After this plan was complete, Trump announced the withdrawal. Many of my friend's family members contacted him and informed him of what irrational decisions Trump was making. My friend informed them that he was part of making the plan. It was a solid plan derived from all the best intelligence available. He was acting on their recommendations. His family ignored all of this. The preferred their sources to a direct source- their own flesh and blood.

    I went back and looked at the reporting from the time. Guess what I found!

    [URL="https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/14/politics/trump-syria-withdrawal-scramble/index.html"]

    The lead reporter is the same as from the article you cite. Barbara Starr. CNN Pentagon Correspondent. Same vague sourcing. In this case I know from my own, much more reliable source, that she is mischaracterizing the withdrawal as rash and sudden. So I have at least one example of CNN's Starr being misleading and unreliable.

    Update 2


    Lebanese President Michel Aoun says there are two possible causes of Tuesday’s explosion that killed nearly 150 people – either negligence or “external intervention” by a missile or bomb.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...mb/ar-BB17H8xM

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Is what unreasonable?
    Answered my own question!

  21. #30
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    49,322

    Re: Massive Explosion in Lebanon

    Third option that also has no evidence based around it being believable.



Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator