Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thom.......

Re: Thom.......

He's slightly less annoying than his father.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MR X View Post
    He's slightly less annoying than his father.
    I disagree. There were times Marty seemed to actually gleam joy from the game. Yes he could get incredulous, but Thom banters on about issues that only he seems to see.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

4. Likes:

DocRed (08-05-2020)

They call me "chef"

Thom makes Welsh’s job easy. Welsh just lets him talk for a bit then he takes a deep breath and explains why everything Thom just said was wrong, then he sits back and repeats the process again.

6. Likes:

CaiGuy (08-05-2020),Cursh14 (08-05-2020),Edd Roush (08-05-2020),Griffey012 (08-05-2020),Joeyjection19 (08-06-2020),OesterPoster (08-20-2020),pahster (08-07-2020),Patrick Bateman (08-06-2020),PuffyPig (08-05-2020),RiverRat13 (08-05-2020),Ron Madden (08-05-2020),Roy Tucker (08-05-2020),Sabo Fan (08-05-2020),SirFelixCat (08-06-2020),Tom Servo (08-05-2020),WildcatFan (08-05-2020)

Haunted by walks

Thom quite often makes reference to “the people who give him a hard time” and such. I wish he would use that to push himself to become better. I feel that even well-known broadcasters with secure jobs could use a little extra batting practice. You don’t have to be as obsessed as Joey Votto about it, but you can always work to get better.

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-05-2020),Falls City Beer (08-05-2020),Indymoon (08-07-2020),OGB (08-05-2020),Ron Madden (08-05-2020),StRedlegs900 (08-05-2020)

Ahhh. Baseball is officially back. RZ is bashing a Brennaman. A bit of normalcy in an otherwise chaotic year.

10. Likes:

CySeymour (08-05-2020),MrRedSkull (08-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I disagree. There were times Marty seemed to actually gleam joy from the game. Yes he could get incredulous, but Thom banters on about issues that only he seems to see.
    Marty is the greatest of all time in my book. Not sure why ppl want to group Thom with him...

12. Likes:

MrRedSkull (08-05-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Marty is the greatest of all time in my book. Not sure why ppl want to group Thom with him...
    Because for the last decade both of them have complained more than they've called the game while refusing to learn much at all about all of the changes in the game, and complaining and questioning almost all of the new information we've learned about value within the game?

Marty, however, could still make an absolute gem of a baseball call when the situation warranted it. The man has a ton of talent in that regard.

When people say Marty was the GOAT, I just assume they have never listened to anyone else.

Ernie Harwell made Marty look like an amateur.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

15. Likes:

Chip R (08-12-2020),Indymoon (08-07-2020),REDREAD (08-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    When people say Marty was the GOAT, I just assume they have never listened to anyone else.

Ernie Harwell made Marty look like an amateur.
    Well, I don't listen to any game the Reds aren't playing...so ya

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Because for the last decade both of them have complained more than they've called the game while refusing to learn much at all about all of the changes in the game, and complaining and questioning almost all of the new information we've learned about value within the game?

Marty, however, could still make an absolute gem of a baseball call when the situation warranted it. The man has a ton of talent in that regard.
    I think Reds fans do WAY more complaining than either of them by a country mile...

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-05-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think Reds fans do WAY more complaining than either of them by a country mile...
    Reds fans aren't paid truckloads of money to talk about the baseball game by the team. It's not their job to be uneducated about the game they are paid that truckload of money to talk about.

Is it annoying that fans complain about stuff that's factually incorrect? Yes. It's not the same as when announcers do it. It should be a part of their job to know better.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (08-20-2020)

Well, I don't listen to any game the Reds aren't playing...so ya

- - - Updated - - -

Wait... you don't listen to ANY other games but Reds games?

Don't be this guy, there's a lot of good stuff out there

21. Likes:

pahster (08-07-2020),Tom Servo (08-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He's unlistenable

He's the loudmouth at the bar, your boring boss, annoying neighbor and the idiot who grew up three houses down from you all in one entity. He doesn't want to know more about baseball than he did when he was ten, he's wooden and gets all incredulous about every incident during the game that goes against his preprogrammed ideal of the game of baseball

It's the worst
    The number of times he says he’s STUNNED by something is, well, stunning.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

23. Likes:

CySeymour (08-05-2020)

I think Thom gets much more abuse than he deserves, but I agree that if he spent more time describing the game and less time judging it would be a much more pleasant viewing experience for most. But I'll defer to those who watch (vs. listen) to more games than I do.
    Last edited by LeDoux; 08-05-2020 at 11:18 AM.

25. Likes:

cincinnati chili (08-05-2020),CySeymour (08-05-2020),DocRed (08-05-2020)

I’ve always said Thom is much better suited to NFL games. His style is always based on heavy handed drama and baseball just isn’t that kind of game. So he tries to create drama in stentorian John Facenda-like tones and that doesn’t fit MLB baseball. Baseball drama is created by situational awareness and accurately commenting on that with insight and knowledge. And that isn’t Thom’s strength.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

27. Likes:

1990worldchamps (08-20-2020),dfs (08-05-2020),Indymoon (08-07-2020),NachoMan (08-05-2020),Patrick Bateman (08-06-2020),Tom Servo (08-05-2020),westofyou (08-05-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-05-2020)

the best (worst?) so far this year from thom was when he was ranting and raving about advanced pitching stats like FIP, questioning why they needed to exist. "WE ALREADY HAVE ERA!" that was his argument. the beginning, middle and end of his argument. why does anyone talk about advanced pitching stats when ERA is the end all, be all?

welsh just ignores him (and it's funny when welsh goes silent when thom says something stupid and allows thom to keep digging the hole deeper). but thom won't shut up. he keeps going on and on about why only ERA should matter and all the advanced stats like FIP are irrelevant.

finally, thom -- sounding like a 12-year-old -- asked welsh, "chris, can you explain to me why things like FIP are even brought up when we have ERA? i mean, can you even explain that to me?"

welsh was basically like, "sure, idiot. i'll explain it to you." then went on to school thom for the rest of that half-inning, then came back to continue the schooling after the commercial break. it was fantastic. by the end, thom was trying to change the subject because he realized he was getting owned so bad.

29. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-05-2020)

Turn Off Ads?