Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: offense

Re: offense

If Castellanos plays anywhere close to this for another 45 games, I think he'll opt out. He could beat the 3/$52 remaining on the Reds deal. But what do I know, maybe he loves what Cincinnati offers. A lot depends on how this season plays out. If the Reds miss out on an expanded playoff and he's at home watching, he could decide to cut his losses and try a new contract. Let's not forget he could opt out after next season too. I don't know how the OF market looks for the next few offseasons, but I do that Castellanos is looking like a good value for what the Reds have him signed for.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Offense? Yes, please.

If Castellanos opts out they will get another player.

Or they will bring in Aquino and spend on a different need.

As long as the Reds are trying to win can’t agonize if one guy decides to leave.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    If Castellanos plays anywhere close to this for another 45 games, I think he'll opt out. He could beat the 3/$52 remaining on the Reds deal. But what do I know, maybe he loves what Cincinnati offers. A lot depends on how this season plays out. If the Reds miss out on an expanded playoff and he's at home watching, he could decide to cut his losses and try a new contract. Let's not forget he could opt out after next season too. I don't know how the OF market looks for the next few offseasons, but I do that Castellanos is looking like a good value for what the Reds have him signed for.
    His best case scenario is probably JD Martinez’s contract with the Sox, and they didn’t sign that deal during a global pandemic that’s taking a dump on the economy right before a contentious CBA fight. I could see him maybe getting the AAV but not the years. In that case, they should sign him for like 3 years 65-70 mil if that deal is on the table and he has a good enough season to opt out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If Castellanos opts out they will get another player.

Or they will bring in Aquino and spend on a different need.

As long as the Reds are trying to win can’t agonize if one guy decides to leave.
    What other middle of the lineup type player is available though, honestly

They spent money to get him because that’s the only real resource that they have to spare. So if he splits and goes elsewhere, what other free agents could they sign to fill that hole in the lineup? And it would have to be spent on the lineup, because that’s still been the weak link even with Castellanos here right now.

7. Likes:

Mitri (08-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    What other middle of the lineup type player is available though, honestly

They spent money to get him because that’s the only real resource that they have to spare. So if he splits and goes elsewhere, what other free agents could they sign to fill that hole in the lineup? And it would have to be spent on the lineup, because that’s still been the weak link even with Castellanos here right now.
    There will be other good hitters available in the off-season.

It’s too soon to know the candidates. Reds added another, Moustakas, just last year. They aren’t that rare.

If Reds are willing to spend or trade they can get one.

Teams have won without Nick Castellanos. He’s a very good hitter but not the linchpin of all baseball.

Reds should absolutely try to keep him - but if he leaves, he leaves. And maybe he’ll stay.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-07-2020 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    There will be other good hitters available in the off-season.

It’s too soon to know the candidates. Reds added another, Moustakas, just last year. They aren’t that rare.

If Reds are willing to spend or trade they can get one.

Teams have won without Nick Castellanos. He’s a very good hitter but not the linchpin of all baseball.

Reds should absolutely try to keep him - but if he leaves, he leaves. And maybe he’ll stay.
    Maybe. From what I saw of the free agent pool, every comparable player is going to get an even bigger contract than Castellanos will. I can’t imagine the Reds ponying up for a Realmuto, Semien, or Springer type.

Clearly the key to salvaging the offense is to contract Covid.

Looks like Votto was just holding everybody back.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Of course the Reds can hit against a weak National League team lol. Still can't touch the AL or the Indians where it matters most.

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Red View Post
    Of course the Reds can hit against a weak National League team lol. Still can't touch the AL or the Indians where it matters most.
    I’m still guessing this game will be a one run game by the end.

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Red View Post
    By definition, games vs. AL teams matter less than games against NL Central teams.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

We have a heartbeat!!!

Need to get some offense today against Anderson because it could be more difficult tomorrow against Woodruff. Over the next 10 games (2 - Milwaukee, 4 - Kansas City, 4 - Pittsburgh), this team must get its offense going and our overall record above water if we have hopes of being relevant this season.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Unfortunately I'm guessing we are without Moose and Senzel until Tuesday...ironic, same 2 players from last weekend :X

Turn Off Ads?