Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Van Meter and Antone to alternate training camp to get to 28

Re: Van Meter and Antone to alternate training camp to get to 28

Wade Miley should be back soon to replace somebody. Please replace somebody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Wade Miley should be back soon to replace somebody. Please replace somebody.
    There sure are plenty of guys to pick from.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Some of you guys really don't understand a sample size and it shows.

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Some of you guys really don't understand a sample size and it shows.
    People are just offering opinions, but hey you go be condescending guy.

7. Likes:

NebraskaRed (08-07-2020),TheBigLebowski (08-07-2020)

The real question is what is the small sample size. Is it VanMeter's entire minor league career when he was considered a non-prospect organizational player or is it last year where he suddenly started pounding the ball out of the park? I don't think it's time to completely close the book on VanMeter, but his failure so far this season and late last year is consistent with the larger sample size of his career. Add that information to the eye test where he looks completely overmatched and I think sending him back down is a reasonable action. They didn't cut him loose, he's still there and may get another chance to show that last year is the real guy, but the evidence isn't just 14 PAs in 2020.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

DocRed (08-07-2020),jwdoc77 (08-07-2020),malcontent (08-07-2020),Mitri (08-07-2020),NebraskaRed (08-07-2020),Stray (08-07-2020),Tom Servo (08-07-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The real question is what is the small sample size. Is it VanMeter's entire minor league career when he was considered a non-prospect organizational player or is it last year where he suddenly started pounding the ball out of the park? I don't think it's time to completely close the book on VanMeter, but his failure so far this season and late last year is consistent with the larger sample size of his career. Add that information to the eye test where he looks completely overmatched and I think sending him back down is a reasonable action. They didn't cut him loose, he's still there and may get another chance to show that last year is the real guy, but the evidence isn't just 14 PAs in 2020.
    That was a question I wanted to ask since I legitimately didn't know much about him prior to being on the big league roster. Was VanMeter ever considered much of a prospect?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    People are just offering opinions, but hey you go be condescending guy.
    And some of us make statements like "He's a AAAA guy at best" then follow it up by claiming they know next to nothing about his minor league career at all and write off that he was actually a solid big leaguer in 2019 for more than half of a season.

But for a while there, VanMeter was known as a solid guy with a lower floor MLB kind of guy. Some scouts liked, but didn't love the tools. Thought there was a chance for him to hit a little bit, play defense enough to be a big leaguer. But then he changed his swing and started showing power (this happened before the baseball got juiced last year, FTR). One high ranking scout I talked to early in 2019 compared him to Scooter Gennett.

So to answer the question of what he was thought of as a prospect is pretty varied because it depends on when you are talking about. Pre-mid 2018, utility guy ceiling was about what you heard. Post swing change? Starter possibility at 2B with a little upside.

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-07-2020)

Bench guys don’t always get repeated chances and large samples to show their stuff. Teams are looking for production with limited opportunity. That’s the requirement of bench performance, not easy, sometimes unfair basis to judge.

Van Meter had a hot July 2019 - but then fell off despite regular use. In August through September/Oct he didn’t hit much in 169 PAs. Then another unproductive 17 PAs this year.

186 PAs may not be a significant sample, but for a bench player, it’s too long to slump, and I don’t know if Josh will get that kind of chance again. Hope he does, wish him luck. Tough business.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-07-2020 at 04:36 PM.

14. Likes:

reds77 (08-08-2020),Tom Servo (08-08-2020)

Turn Off Ads?