Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Van Meter and Antone to alternate training camp to get to 28

Van Meter and Antone to alternate training camp to get to 28

Van Meter’s a surprise, but he and Antone were sent “down.”

Antone could mean Miley is ready. He could be back pretty soon if there’s a need for a starter or long man.

Reds don’t have much LH pinch hitting as things stand.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-06-2020 at 12:10 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Red sent Van Meter and Antone to Prasco to get to 28

how is van meter a surprise?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    Probably because most thought it would be Colon. I mean he had 1 good game which is 1 more than JVM, but his OPS is still only .425

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Van Meter and Antone to alternate training camp to get to 28

Raley may have saved his spot last night. I do think we are lacking LH power on the bench now. I would have thought that JVM would have more use than Colon and Davidson going forward. I wonder if this decision was made because the other guys are out of options.

6. Likes:

DocRed (08-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    Despite VM’s slow start, he’s Reds’ main LH hitter off the bench, has been their primary IF backup. I didn’t think they would cut bait just yet. I certainly hadn’t heard anyone suggest he would be sent out in this cut.

Thin on LH bench bats now.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-06-2020 at 12:15 PM.

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-06-2020)

Cody Reed was saved by being out of options

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Probably because most thought it would be Colon. I mean he had 1 good game which is 1 more than JVM, but his OPS is still only .425
    OPS doesn’t really matter with so few plate appearances. It’s moreso about how bad they look. In the few at bats I’ve seen of these players Colon actually seems to be making ok contact and have a clue at the plate. JVM looks awful.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

11. Likes:

malcontent (08-06-2020)

Am I wrong to assume that Antone was sent down specifically because he's going to be unavailable for awhile anyway?

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-06-2020),klw (08-06-2020),RedTeamGo! (08-06-2020),Ron Madden (08-06-2020),StRedlegs900 (08-06-2020),Tom Servo (08-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Raley may have saved his spot last night. I do think we are lacking LH power on the bench now. I would have thought that JVM would have more use than Colon and Davidson going forward. I wonder if this decision was made because the other guys are out of options.
    I don’t see the Antone move as a surprise. He’ll need rest from yesterday’s start. They don’t need him in the rotation again soon, it was because of the double header. If they need long relief or another starter, he’ll be back.

How long does player have to wait this year before being called back up? Still 10 days?

Colon is a quality IF. Especially at second base. Van Meter's glove has hurt a couple of times. Moose is a lefty, so it makes sense to have a righty to play against a lefty when Moose is in need of a day off, though Farmer could be used there as well.

The LH pinch hitter doesn't come into play much with the DH. Seems like Colon is more useful for the reasons stated above.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

How long does player have to wait this year before being called back up? Still 10 days?
    I think that's true and like normal, that can be cut short if a guy gets injured who needs his spot to be taken.

18. Likes:

DocRed (08-06-2020)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Fine with VanMeter going bye bye. I'm completely sold on Antone, however, and loathe the idea of watching Miley getting bombed instead of having Tejay in his spot.

I still have no idea why Brooks Raley is on a major league roster, much less this one.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

20. Likes:

DocRed (08-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Fine with VanMeter going bye bye. I'm completely sold on Antone, however, and loathe the idea of watching Miley getting bombed instead of having Tejay in his spot.

I still have no idea why Brooks Raley is on a major league roster, much less this one.
    There’s a little known rule that there must be at least one player with the first name Brooks at the MLB level at all times.

This is the way.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post

More guys have to go when Stephenson and Miley come back. My guess is Raley will go then. Maybe Reed as well. Personally I'd keep those guys to soak up unimportant innings and send out Jankowski and Davidson. Raley and Reed would only pitch when the Reds are well behind, the starter is taken out early or its extra innings and there isn't anybody else.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

23. Likes:

REDREAD (08-06-2020)

Turn Off Ads?