Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Reds @ Cleveland 8-6-20

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Re: Reds @ Cleveland 8-6-20

I’m glad I shut it off when Cleveland went up by three......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

2. Turn Off Ads?

It pained me greatly to see the Reds allow the runners to move to 2nd and 3rd on that hot box play early in the bottom of the 7th inning. The 3rd baseman should be right on top of 3rd base as the catcher runs the runner back toward 3rd. The SS should be 6' to the 2B side of 3rd base and back 6' so he can see the runner who started from 1B when he commits to coming to 3B so he can alert the C and 3rd baseman. The 2nd baseman follows the runner who started from first as he moves toward 3rd base. CF comes in to cover 2nd, RF comes in to cover 1st, LF backs up 3B for a bad throw, 1st baseman comes in to cover home. The catcher with the ball quickly runs the runner back to 3rd and does not release it until he either tags out the runner who started from 3rd, or times his throw to 3rd after the runner commits to 3B to tag him as he goes back into 3B. If the C tags the runner out, he immediately turns his attention to the next runner and if he has committed from 2nd, he throws to 3B, SS, or the 2nd baseman to get the runner tagged or trapped. If the first runner is tagged out by the 3rd baseman, with the SS's voice help, he immediately looks to tag out or throw to get the next runner trapped, if he is vulnerable. If he is not vulnerable, then the original goal is met of getting the lead runner out without either of the other runners advancing more than their one base. If an other runner is vulnerable, then you attack for a 2nd out at 2nd base with it being possible to have two runners that are each closer to 2B. If the Reds could have executed the play better they may not have given up 10 runs in the inning. For 60 years I've been waiting to see a 3rd baseman to get a double play on two tags within a half second, one on a runner coming back to 3rd, then on a runner coming into 3rd. Even rarer would be the 3rd baseman to tag the runner coming into 3rd first, and then tag the runner coming back to 3rd. That would be more rare than another play I've never seen, which is the catcher intentionally dropping a foul tip on a first or 2nd strike to make a runner who seems to have the base stolen go back to his original base for the next pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes it rains.
    Over the last seven years with this organization, more often then not, they lose.

5. Likes:

lnn6574 (08-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mhs95_06 View Post
    It pained me greatly to see the Reds allow the runners to move to 2nd and 3rd on that hot box play early in the bottom of the 7th inning. The 3rd baseman should be right on top of 3rd base as the catcher runs the runner back toward 3rd. The SS should be 6' to the 2B side of 3rd base and back 6' so he can see the runner who started from 1B when he commits to coming to 3B so he can alert the C and 3rd baseman. The 2nd baseman follows the runner who started from first as he moves toward 3rd base. CF comes in to cover 2nd, RF comes in to cover 1st, LF backs up 3B for a bad throw, 1st baseman comes in to cover home. The catcher with the ball quickly runs the runner back to 3rd and does not release it until he either tags out the runner who started from 3rd, or times his throw to 3rd after the runner commits to 3B to tag him as he goes back into 3B. If the C tags the runner out, he immediately turns his attention to the next runner and if he has committed from 2nd, he throws to 3B, SS, or the 2nd baseman to get the runner tagged or trapped. If the first runner is tagged out by the 3rd baseman, with the SS's voice help, he immediately looks to tag out or throw to get the next runner trapped, if he is vulnerable. If he is not vulnerable, then the original goal is met of getting the lead runner out without either of the other runners advancing more than their one base. If an other runner is vulnerable, then you attack for a 2nd out at 2nd base with it being possible to have two runners that are each closer to 2B. If the Reds could have executed the play better they may not have given up 10 runs in the inning. For 60 years I've been waiting to see a 3rd baseman to get a double play on two tags within a half second, one on a runner coming back to 3rd, then on a runner coming into 3rd. Even rarer would be the 3rd baseman to tag the runner coming into 3rd first, and then tag the runner coming back to 3rd. That would be more rare than another play I've never seen, which is the catcher intentionally dropping a foul tip on a first or 2nd strike to make a runner who seems to have the base stolen go back to his original base for the next pitch.
    Too much thought and too many words for a game thread post.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I'm beginning to think this team is jinxed.Since they fired Dusty for not winning in the playoffs, this team has not played very well. All the cries to fire Dusty snd all we got was misery and a rebuild that didn't work. They've made FA signings and new players. That didn't work so far and the bullpen is horrid. Surely this will end soon.
    I will grant the point that they have not played well for much of the time since they fired Dusty. But it was not the fact they didn't have Dddddusty that they went bad, it was they had already peaked in 2012 and failed to achieve what they could have if Dusty was not the manager.

is anyone still defending this group of uninspired underachievers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Over the last seven years with this organization, more often then not, they lose.
    In part that's true. However, the reality is this organization has had only 4 winning seasons since 2000. So, it's actually much worse.

...and the hits just keep on comin'. Well, except for this team...very few hits are actually coming...

I stopped reading after the 2nd sentence cause I’m pretty sure you nailed it, and I’m a millennial. I agree that was bad Baseball.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

NVM.
    Last edited by texasdave; 08-06-2020 at 10:50 PM.

Good news: Indians off the books until we meet them in the World Series.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

13. Likes:

REDREAD (08-06-2020)

I will grant the point that they have not played well for much of the time since they fired Dusty. But it was not the fact they didn't have Dddddusty that they went bad, it was they had already peaked in 2012 and failed to achieve what they could have if Dusty was not the manager.
    Exactly. Anyone who thinks the same players we've had since 2014 on would've won with Dusty is fooling themselves.

No hidden meaning. Just pointed it out that's when it started.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    No hidden meaning. Just pointed it out that's when it started.
    Key theme, a manger is always holding the players back until the players play well.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Not cool, things like that don’t matter

Maybe I’ll read this tomorrow if I’m bored at the office and without several beers.

Turn Off Ads?