Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is a sneak preview should the Reds sneak into the expanded playoffs

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

This is a sneak preview should the Reds sneak into the expanded playoffs

It would likely be against one of the top couple of seeds. An opponent similar to CLE with three really strong starting pitchers will completely shut down this club's offense. If they don't hit the ball out of the park, they don't score. And if they're not playing at home, they don't hit the ball out of the park. All the games would be on the road, if I'm not mistaken. They're in Game No. 13 today, and I can only think of one or two games where they strung some hits together and looked like a decent offensive club.

If they get in, I think you'd be looking at a replay of that 2010 series with Philadelphia, minus the no-hitter shame (maybe).
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Likes:

REDREAD (08-06-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This is a sneak preview should the Reds sneak into the expanded playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    It would likely be against one of the top couple of seeds. An opponent similar to CLE with three really strong starting pitchers will completely shut down this club's offense. If they don't hit the ball out of the park, they don't score. And if they're not playing at home, they don't hit the ball out of the park. All the games would be on the road, if I'm not mistaken. They're in Game No. 13 today, and I can only think of one or two games where they strung some hits together and looked like a decent offensive club.

If they get in, I think you'd be looking at a replay of that 2010 series with Philadelphia, minus the no-hitter shame (maybe).
    I’d be stunned if they made the playoffs. Shogo looks like a bust, Moose can’t stay on the field. Suarez either needs another 6 weeks of rest or rehab. At this stage this is a one-bat line-up, much like it was last season. Time to trade a starter or two for some offense. Try to swing a Suarez for Simon type of deal.

5. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-07-2020),Crumbley (08-06-2020),REDREAD (08-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I’d be stunned if they made the playoffs. Shogo looks like a bust, Moose can’t stay on the field. Suarez either needs another 6 weeks of rest or rehab. At this stage this is a one-bat line-up, much like it was last season. Time to trade a starter or two for some offense. Try to swing a Suarez for Simon type of deal.
    Trading feels like the only way out of this mess. They were gawd-awful for six years and don't have one single difference-maker on the roster to show for it. There is no cavalry coming.

7. Likes:

Crumbley (08-06-2020),Falls City Beer (08-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Trading feels like the only way out of this mess. They were gawd-awful for six years and don't have one single difference-maker on the roster to show for it. There is no cavalry coming.
    They certainly don’t have the right mix. I’d look to trade Castillo before he turns into an expensive pumpkin.

Playoffs? You talking about the playoffs? Playoffs? This team can't score for crap and has the worst bullpen in the league.

10. Likes:

DocRed (08-06-2020),Falls City Beer (08-06-2020)

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMS View Post
    Playoffs? You talking about the playoffs? Playoffs? This team can't score for crap and has the worst bullpen in the league.
    As nutty as it sounds, 8 teams in the NL have as many or fewer Ws than the hapless Reds. (Granted, STL, MIA and PHI only have a handful of games.)

And the Indians are a very average team but they are still 10 times better than the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Red View Post
    And the Indians are a very average team but they are still 10 times better than the Reds
    Lol
    Crazy Reds Fan

15. Likes:

camisadelgolf (08-07-2020)

Seems like at the start of every season I am like the guy that has been divorced three or four times and is planning on marrying again because this one is different. That man doesn't need a best man. He needs an executioner.

17. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-07-2020),BluegrassRedleg (08-07-2020),RedsFanInMS (08-07-2020)

The Reds are scoring about as many runs as they're allowing. So far they look like a ~.500 team, and they pretty much have the record to show for it. What's nice about that is that the majority of teams are going to make the playoffs this year, so in theory, a .500 team should get in. With the rotation being as strong as it is, the Reds should at least have a chance at doing something in the playoffs. I'd also like to point out that, so far, the biggest weakness of the team has been the bullpen, and they're still striking out over 30% of the batters they've faced. That's insane. It's not always that the talent represents the record, but the Reds clearly have the talent to be an above-average team. It would take some surprising events for them not to be.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-08-2020)

5-8 is not a disaster.

Reds have a good chance to make expanded playoffs.

Team has been in a slump. Indians pitching very impressive, starting and relief.

As fore the OP, it’s too soon to tell how Reds would do in playoffs. They have 3 very good starters, plus a solid Disco. If they can get the pen in order, which is possible, they could be good in a short series.

21. Likes:

BoxingRed (08-07-2020),goreds2 (08-07-2020),mth123 (08-07-2020),Rdirtypirates (08-07-2020),RedsManRick (08-07-2020),Roy Tucker (08-07-2020)

This team has been in a 5 year slump. With a 60 game season you can't afford slumps. 5-8 isnt a .500 team if my math is correct. Something is missing in this organization and now it is apparent that it isnt the unwillingness of Bob to spend money.

Reds are 1 game out of the last WC behind WSH at 4-5

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    Seems like at the start of every season I am like the guy that has been divorced three or four times and is planning on marrying again because this one is different.
    Ric Flair!?!?!?

Turn Off Ads?