Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is a sneak preview should the Reds sneak into the expanded playoffs

Re: This is a sneak preview should the Reds sneak into the expanded playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Reds are 1 game out of the last WC behind WSH at 4-5
    I thought it was just first and second place teams made the playoffs. Or is it the top 16 teams by record make it?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I thought it was just first and second place teams made the playoffs. Or is it the top 16 teams by record make it?
    Top 2 teams in each division. Then the next 2 by record, so 8 total in NL.

4. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-07-2020)

It's 8 teams in each league
    1st and 2nd place teams in each division
    A team from each league with the best W-L records become the two wildcard teams

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    5-8 is not a disaster.

Reds have a good chance to make expanded playoffs.

Team has been in a slump. Indians pitching very impressive, starting and relief.

As fore the OP, it’s too soon to tell how Reds would do in playoffs. They have 3 very good starters, plus a solid Disco. If they can get the pen in order, which is possible, they could be good in a short series.
    I think so too. With the starters the Reds have, they have a good shot at winning. There have been few Reds teams over the years where I could have said that. And I felt like 3 of the 4 games against the Indians were playoff-level baseball. The offense will come around. And hopefully a decent bullpen can emerge. It’s way too early to give up hope.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

7. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-07-2020)

Calling Shogo a bust after 13 games seems incredibly premature.

9. Likes:

camisadelgolf (08-07-2020),DocRed (08-07-2020)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

5-8 is not a disaster.

Team has been in a slump. Indians pitching very impressive, starting and relief.

As fore the OP, it’s too soon to tell how Reds would do in playoffs. They have 3 very good starters, plus a solid Disco. If they can get the pen in order, which is possible, they could be good in a short series.
    The starters are really good. The bullpen may get straightened out. And then you still have run production and defense to solve. A whole lotta IFs.

I read earlier today that they are at 20% odds as of now.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Lance McAlister
    @LanceMcAlister
    Per
    @fangraphs
    #Reds odds of making playoffs
    50.4%

12. Likes:

Rolando (08-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Lance McAlister
    @LanceMcAlister
    Per
    @fangraphs
    50.4%
    Lol. No.

5-8 is not a disaster.

Why do you believe the Reds have a “good” chance to make expanded playoffs? I agree the Reds starting pitching has been good, but starting pitching has never been less important to success in my lifetime (the 5 inning max/hard 100 pitch count ceilings). Now it’s 1. Offense 2. Bullpen/starting (tied) 3.Defense. Where it used to be starting pitching by a long shot.

no chance absolutely no chance look at the line up

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Lance McAlister
    @LanceMcAlister
    Per
    @fangraphs
    50.4%
    I'd be curious to see their math. I'll take their word for it because they're really good with that kind of stuff... however, that 50.4 still puts them in the 8 hole. No margin for error, and, like I said initially, more than likely places them in a really hard matchup with one of the best teams in the league if they do get in.

It would be interesting, though, to see if, say, the Dodgers would pick a team with the Reds' rotation to play. (Are they still doing the pick your opponent thing?)

Next 11 games are a big swing.
    3 Brewers
    4 KC
    4 Pirates

Good chance the offense gets healthy leaving the Indians pitching staff in the rear view mirror.
    Go 8-3 and they’re over .500 and probably back in the top 8 playoff picture with momentum.

If you're so pessimistic that you don't see the Reds making the playoffs in a season in which the majority of teams are making the playoffs, I feel bad for everyone around you. Granted it's no guarantee that the Reds will get there, but so far, there is absolutely no reason to think they won't unless you look at the W-L record and nothing else. There's enough talent to get them there. And with the starting pitching they have, they could potentially do some damage in the playoffs, too. I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but it's ludicrous to think they don't have a chance.

NostraRedlegus tried to warn you.

20. Likes:

Reds (09-30-2020)

Turn Off Ads?