Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A little help- Dayton and Centerville area

A little help- Dayton and Centerville area

My son is moving to Centerville just outside Dayton. Not sure about the area. He will be needing an apartment. Any areas in the Miamisburg/Kettering/Centerville area to either look into or avoid? Any help would be appreciated, eith in this thread or in messages. Thanks!
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A little help- Dayton and Centerville area

I know the area well. What is he looking for? Something cheap, something nice, close to restaurants and shopping?

If you need a second opinion, I've spent some time in that area.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Just some things to think about:

There are some new places near and in Austin Landing and right off 675 in Centerville. They are pricier, but they are much better insulated and have far better amenities. Expect to pay $1100 for a one bedroom, $1300 for a two bedroom. You can pay $900 for a one bedroom at similar older properties, but you will pay much more for utilities. For instance, Austin Springs in right across from Austin Flats and is cheaper, but you will pay far more to heat the place and close to $100/month for trash and common electricity, so you end up paying more.

If he has a high income, he should consider Miami Township, which doesn't have a city income tax.

I'm not a mall guy, but if he likes outdoor places with some bars and restaurants, Centerville and Kettering are close to the Greene, and Austin Landing is close to Miamisburg. But I wouldn't pick one town over another just for that, because they are both easily accessible and right off the highway.

Thanks for the help. I haven't rented for about 21 years. I didn't realize rent was what it is. He isn't making a ton of money. He is employed by a church. I think he has found something not too much more than we were hoping to find in Centerville.

It is both fulfilling and terrifying watching your children starting their adult life!
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

7. Likes:

RFS62 (08-14-2020),Roy Tucker (08-09-2020),The Operator (08-09-2020)

The New Yorker had an article recently about dollar stores in Dayton (there are 70 dollar stores in East Dayton) detailing all the violent crime that occurs in them and how they have created a food desert driving out traditional grocery stores since they do not provide fresh food.
    https://www.daytondailynews.com/news...QSFOtxGrolK4L/

Quote Originally Posted by jimbroznan View Post
    The New Yorker had an article recently about dollar stores in Dayton (there are 70 dollar stores in East Dayton) detailing all the violent crime that occurs in them and how they have created a food desert driving out traditional grocery stores since they do not provide fresh food.
    https://www.daytondailynews.com/news...QSFOtxGrolK4L/
    The only quibble I have is that they didn’t actually drive out traditional grocery stores. The traditional ones left, and dollar stores fill the void. Trust me, if Kroger thought a store could be profitable, they would have one right there. They actually do have one in East Dayton on Smithville Road.

On a sidenote, I love east Dayton. There are a lot of cool dive places they are far more fun than places like the Greene.

10. Likes:

dfs (08-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    The only quibble I have is that they didn’t actually drive out traditional grocery stores. The traditional ones left, and dollar stores fill the void. Trust me, if Kroger thought a store could be profitable, they would have one right there. They actually do have one in East Dayton on Smithville Road.

On a sidenote, I love east Dayton. There are a lot of cool dive places they are far more fun than places like the Greene.
    I don't know if they are classified as East Dayton bars, but I spent a few thousand hours at McGuffeys/Jimbos and Clancy’s Tavern back in the day.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I don't know if they are classified as East Dayton bars, but I spent a few thousand hours at McGuffeys/Jimbos and Clancy’s Tavern back in the day.
    Oh boy, McGuffey's was awesome. Such great live music. I didn't go out much because we had kids, but my wife encouraged me to go out when there was an opportunity to jam on some blues.

Even to this day, East Dayton is cool and there are still some dives. Beavercreek can have the Greene and south Dayton can have the cookie cutter stuff, but give me a little hole in the wall anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Oh boy, McGuffey's was awesome. Such great live music. I didn't go out much because we had kids, but my wife encouraged me to go out when there was an opportunity to jam on some blues.
    Yeah, I was lucky (?) to be between marriages. So I had a good paying job with spare cash and spare time to go out whenever I wanted. Probably every Friday night between about 1977 and 1982, I met an ever evolving group of pals at McGuffeys for cheap ass draft beer, a lot of video games (Galaga, Defender, Centipedes, Asteroids, etc), a lot of foosball, and whatever the dinner special was. We’d bring whoever our main squeeze of the week was and get the opinion of the guys if she was a keeper or not (usually not but who cared). Sometimes we’d have to avoid the fights that broke out, but we went through a lot of pitchers of beer.

Frank and John are no longer with us, Nick disappeared with some wives in Indiana, Jerry married my old girlfriend, Tim saw God and became a priest. And there are a few others that I lost track of in the fog of life. I met a good girl, got married, had 3 kids, and 35 years later I’m wondering where the **** all that time went.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Lol in 1977 I was living in the apartments next door to McGuffey's. Of course, being only 7 at the time I wasn't allowed to go drinking.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yeah, I was lucky (?) to be between marriages. So I had a good paying job with spare cash and spare time to go out whenever I wanted. Probably every Friday night between about 1977 and 1982, I met an ever evolving group of pals at McGuffeys for cheap ass draft beer, a lot of video games (Galaga, Defender, Centipedes, Asteroids, etc), a lot of foosball, and whatever the dinner special was. We’d bring whoever our main squeeze of the week was and get the opinion of the guys if she was a keeper or not (usually not but who cared). Sometimes we’d have to avoid the fights that broke out, but we went through a lot of pitchers of beer.

Frank and John are no longer with us, Nick disappeared with some wives in Indiana, Jerry married my old girlfriend, Tim saw God and became a priest. And there are a few others that I lost track of in the fog of life. I met a good girl, got married, had 3 kids, and 35 years later I’m wondering where the **** all that time went.
    Did you ever go to a place off Patterson called Hank's Pub? It's been there for over 40 years at least, and they still have some killer music, including a weekly blues jam. I've seen some awesome acts there. Just a tiny little dive.

Turn Off Ads?