Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nick Senzel

Nick Senzel

Senzel looks great when he is on the field this year.

The key words in that sentence are “on the field”

I think this guy has loads of talent. The issue is he is pretty obviously injury prone.

Now, I’m not saying he is bad or worthless, or anything like that. I am curious what folks think about the long term approach to Senzel is and/or should be for the Reds?

To me: I hope he plays for at least a 3-4 week stretch without missing time because of injury (tall order for Senzel’s body, I know) and puts up solid numbers and then I use him this offseason to either acquire a top SS, CF, or SP replacement for Bauer. I have a feeling he’s going to be a frustrating player to rely on for the next 4 years. Frustrating because he very obviously is quite talented but just can’t stay on the field. I think the reds may have to strike while the iron is potentially hot this offseason and there are a couple glaring holes they could fill using him as a trade chip.

What say you, RZ?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nick Senzel

He's too injury-prone to keep but he's going to being back a premium player in a trade?

I'm a big Senzel supporter, but agree that the injuries are frustrating. At this point, he's probably more valuable to the Reds than anything you'd get in a trade and we will have to hope to get 130 games out of him a (normal) year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    He's too injury-prone to keep but he's going to being back a premium player in a trade?

I'm a big Senzel supporter, but agree that the injuries are frustrating. At this point, he's probably more valuable to the Reds than anything you'd get in a trade and we will have to hope to get 130 games out of him a (normal) year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I think a team far away from contention may be willing to roll the dice on him being healthy for them and would be willing to trade an established player with less control.

Yeah it's hard to imagine unless a team is desperately in love with him or feels like they need exactly what he brings that he would be much of a trade chip in terms of getting anything of great value back. The only way it could even possibly work is if a team has a glut of prospects that are going to be blocked for a while in their organization and they again have a real need/spot for a guy like Senzel.

If I'm a gm, I'm going to be very reluctant to give up much for a player that I don't know can be healthy and available for even 120 games out of a regular 162 game season. I mean, it just takes one but it has to be the right one. On both sides as far as that goes to make sense for the Reds as well.

The tough tattoos make the brittleness more annoying. I think he's going to be a good player for a long time but more of a 3.0+WAR, 115 game guy than a star. I probably wouldn't trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    The tough tattoos make the brittleness more annoying. I think he's going to be a good player for a long time but more of a 3.0+WAR, 115 game guy than a star. I probably wouldn't trade him.
    I'll take that..

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-08-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    The tough tattoos make the brittleness more annoying.
    what

10. Likes:

HammerTime (08-08-2020),ochoa30 (08-08-2020),Ron Madden (08-08-2020)

Prognosis...Negative StRedlegs900's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    what
    I remember reading that there indeed IS noticeable correlation between "tattoo toughness" and long-term health. The fact that Senzel apparently is an outlier here can be slightly frustrating. Just chalk it up to another Cincinnati sports curse cliche!!
    Last edited by StRedlegs900; 08-08-2020 at 11:38 AM.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I think they end up with a bigger hole in CF than whatever they get back for him, unless they throw in one of our major prospects too, and I’m hesitant to do that at this point because I don’t see this as a slam dunk win now window. I think he’ll be reasonably productive for the time he actually does spend on the field since he is in fact looking like his play is improving.

The fragility is super concerning though.

Aren't Nicks tattoos more of a sentimental and religious nature more than anything tough guy?

I don't understand how his tattoos annoy anyone.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 08-08-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Senzel has had a number of injuries and absences. He’s still quite young and has plenty of opportunity to play a long, mostly healthy career.

What is most encouraging is that his CF play has improved so much. Not tha easy, and he’s done a great job becoming a CFer.

15. Likes:

Mitri (08-08-2020),Ron Madden (08-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Senzel has had a number of injuries and absences. He’s still quite young and has plenty of opportunity to play a long, mostly healthy career.

What is most encouraging is that his CF play has improved so much. Not tha easy, and he’s done a great job becoming a CFer.
    Agree on both points. He's looked really impressive in CF, and solid at the plate.

He's day to day with a groin injury, let's wait until he misses more than a few games before we sound that alarm again.

17. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Aren't Nicks tattoos more of a sentimental and religious nature more than anything tough guy?

I don't understand how his tattoos annoy anyone.
    Ya it was on the Pregame a few days ago. They are an homage to his mom who I believed suffered from alcoholism and who was not a part of his life until recently.

19. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-08-2020)

I think if he sorts his fitness out he'll be a great player. Small sample size for what are minor niggling injuries so early in a season, so will give him the benefit of the doubt (even if i'm relentlessly making fun of it) Has a lot of assets, not least he's pretty mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishRed View Post
    I think if he sorts his fitness out he'll be a great player. Small sample size for what are minor niggling injuries so early in a season, so will give him the benefit of the doubt (even if i'm relentlessly making fun of it) Has a lot of assets, not least he's pretty mobile.
    It’s not a small sample size. It’s been years.

22. Likes:

bm1475 (08-08-2020),Bob Sheed (08-08-2020)

Turn Off Ads?