Turn Off Ads?

Thread: MLB Should Reconsider the IL Rules

MLB Should Reconsider the IL Rules

If Nick Senzel, for example, is out for two days, why can’t Reds replace him for two days? Why must he go on a 10-day disabled list or remain active. Shouldn’t teams have the ability to change the roster daily if someone is hurt?

One might even ask why teams shouldn’t be able to change the roster daily - even without an injury. Why all the limits on bringing guys up and down. Why can’t you option a guy for a day, rather than ten days?

At minimum, teams should have a taxi squad or inactive list exempt from normal transaction rules. Why not have five guys (on the 40 man roster) with the team who can be activated (with others de-activated) on a daily basis.

I can understand MLB doesn’t want starting pitchers pulled off roster between starts, but they can legislate that specific point.

This idea arises from the COVID IL which is indeterminate in length. Why shouldn’t the IL always be indeterminate in length?

Would be interested in other fans’ reaction to these thoughts.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-08-2020 at 01:19 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: MLB Should Reconsider the IL Rules

I think teams would definitely abuse it for the bullpen the way they use relievers now

4. Likes:

bm1475 (08-08-2020),Ron Madden (08-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I think teams would definitely abuse it for the bullpen the way they use relievers now
    Why is it an abuse? If you need relievers, why not be able to access them?

The NBA and NFL have extra “inactive players’ on roster. Why not baseball? You can activate them daily as need may be. Rules seem outdated to me.

Maybe the objective is to provide continuity for the minor leagues. Keep AAA players in AAA playing games. Makes things unnecessarily difficult for big leagues day to day.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-08-2020 at 01:00 PM.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (08-11-2020)

I think it's probably a safe bet that you could put Senzel on the 10 day IL and something else will pop up. He'll probably shatter his wrist brushing his teeth.

8. Likes:

bm1475 (08-08-2020),goldglover9 (08-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishRed View Post
    I think it's probably a safe bet that you could put Senzel on the 10 day IL and something else will pop up. He'll probably shatter his wrist brushing his teeth.
    Yeah, maybe a bad example.

I get what you’re saying but it’s a bit of a slippery slope. What’s to stop putting yesterday’s starting pitcher on the IL till his next start and replacing him. Joey Votto needs a day off so he’s put on the IL and replaced. A long reliever goes 3 innings and can’t pitch for 2 days. Etc etc

If the intent is to put the best 26 players on the roster for that day, then yeah, you can rotate players on and off the IL. But I think (just my speculation) is that the length of time on the IL is a deterrent to doing what I just described. Injuries can be faked up. Hamstrings get tweaked, player has a migraine, someone gets the flu, etc
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

11. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I get what you’re saying but it’s a bit of a slippery slope. What’s to stop putting yesterday’s starting pitcher on the IL till his next start and replacing him. Joey Votto needs a day off so he’s put on the IL and replaced. A long reliever goes 3 innings and can’t pitch for 2 days. Etc etc

If the intent is to put the best 26 players on the roster for that day, then yeah, you can rotate players on and off the IL. But I think (just my speculation) is that the length of time on the IL is a deterrent to doing what I just described. Injuries can be faked up. Hamstrings get tweaked, player has a migraine, someone gets the flu, etc
    I addressed the starting pitching point in my opening post. But I don’t see the slippery slope. A slope to where, more roster moves? Too much paperwork? What is the harm if a roster is flexible?

If Joey Votto isn’t playing one night, why not replace his roster spot that game? Who’s being hurt by it?
    Especially if he’s injured, but what if he’s just tired. Why prevent a move?

If an NBA player is out one game they just declare him inactive. They have extra guys to replace him. If an NFL player has a one-game injury they declare him inactive. Somebody else takes the spot. Why not in baseball?
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-08-2020 at 04:24 PM.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (08-11-2020)

The last thing they need is more terrible players to choose from. With a 28 man roster, there are already guys there I hope never get to play. The problem isn't that they need more spots. They need the right guys filling the spots they have. It makes no sense whatsoever that guys like Jankowski are on teh roster and Aquino is not. He should be in CF tonight with a lefty on the mound and Senzel hurting. If you absolutely want Jankowski for whatever reason, then Deleon can go down.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

Crumbley (08-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The last thing they need is more terrible players to choose from. With a 28 man roster, there are already guys there I hope never get to play. The problem isn't that they need more spots. They need the right guys filling the spots they have. It makes no sense whatsoever that guys like Jankowski are on teh roster and Aquino is not. He should be in CF tonight with a lefty on the mound and Senzel hurting. If you absolutely want Jankowski for whatever reason, then Deleon can go down.
    I’m raising a general baseball issue about the inflexibility of rosters in MLB. Hard to replace guys for short term injuries, rests, or absences. The IL requires a player to miss ten days. When somebody is out for a game or two teams cannot just swap his spot, briefly, for somebody else.

For example, if Senzel is out for two days, would like to add Aquino. Should be able to do this very easily and directly. Should be allowed to just declare Senzel as inactive, and AA active for two days.

That’s my intended point. Wasn’t addressing whether Jankowski or others are scrubs or terrible players.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-08-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Totally disagree. That's why you carry 26 players (now 28). To have extra guys. If he's going to be gone for extended time, put him on the IL. Solution in search of a problem.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-08-2020),texasdave (08-08-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I've said for awhile that there should be an "active roster" and a "game roster" which is a subset of players on the active roster. That way if a player needs a day off, another player is listed on the game roster in his place.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I addressed the starting pitching point in my opening post. But I don’t see the slippery slope. A slope to where, more roster moves? Too much paperwork? What is the harm if a roster is flexible?

If Joey Votto isn’t playing one night, why not replace his roster spot that game? Who’s being hurt by it?
    Especially if he’s injured, but what if he’s just tired. Why prevent a move?

If an NBA player is out one game they just declare him inactive. They have extra guys to replace him. If an NFL player has a one-game injury they declare him inactive. Somebody else takes the spot. Why not in baseball?
    I don’t really have any rejoinder. The NFL is kinda funky with its Players Unable to Perform and Injured Reserve so I don’t think that’s the model you’re going after. Probably more like the NBA where they have the Inactive List. I think they are pretty flexible for players coming on and off it. What the hell, everything else is changing this year, why not MLB.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injured_reserve_list
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I don’t really have any rejoinder. The NFL is kinda funky with its Players Unable to Perform and Injured Reserve so I don’t think that’s the model you’re going after. Probably more like the NBA where they have the Inactive List. I think they are pretty flexible for players coming on and off it. What the hell, everything else is changing this year, why not MLB.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injured_reserve_list
    NFL does have a system like the NBA. Only 46 players on 53-man NFL active roster can dress each week. Seven are deemed inactive and that list is announced 90 minutes before each game. (Separate from Injured Reserve or PUP.)

What’s interesting is I’ve yet to hear a rationale for baseball’s system. Seems simple enough to allow a replacement when a player is unavailable, regardless whether he needs a 10-day absence.

Guess MLB just doesn’t want the disruption of more frequent player moves, not sure why it cares.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-08-2020 at 11:14 PM.

Guess MLB just doesn’t want the disruption of more frequent player moves, not sure why it cares.
    My guess is that it all comes down to money ... minor league players get major league pay for the games that they are declared “active.” The NBA and NFL salary structures are a bit different.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

23. Likes:

Kc61 (08-09-2020)

I’m raising a general baseball issue about the inflexibility of rosters in MLB. Hard to replace guys for short term injuries, rests, or absences. The IL requires a player to miss ten days. When somebody is out for a game or two teams cannot just swap his spot, briefly, for somebody else.

For example, if Senzel is out for two days, would like to add Aquino. Should be able to do this very easily and directly. Should be allowed to just declare Senzel as inactive, and AA active for two days.

That’s my intended point. Wasn’t addressing whether Jankowski or others are scrubs or terrible players.
    I know what you are saying, and I'm saying there are already too many minor league talents on big league rosters and this rule would just add to that problem. I hate the 28 man roster to be honest. I'd prefer less quantity and more quality. If they would cut the roster back to say 24 or so, then I'd be fine with the rule you are suggesting.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?