Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone here written a book?

Re: Has anyone here written a book?

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    It's definitely not a money thing.

I hate to say it, but it is kind of an ego thing, to say I have been published and also to leave a local legacy, at least among the people who like local history in this area, including the Historical Society where I volunteer. I've done some work for the society, but having a book with my name on it would be sort of concrete evidence that I had done something that might last beyond my time here.

I appreciate everyone's encouragement and advice. Time will tell how it goes
    Dude there is nothing the matter with a healthy dose of ego. Sounds like you know what you want to do and that's more than half the battle in an endeavor like this. Put the time in and you'll have a book.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Likes:

marcshoe (08-15-2020),UKFlounder (08-15-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redhawkfish View Post
    Wasn’t it “old right hander” who wrote a book?
    I have five novels out so far, number six coming soon.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

5. Likes:

cincinnati chili (03-06-2021),marcshoe (08-16-2020),Roy Tucker (08-17-2020),UKFlounder (08-22-2020)

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Go for it, and if you decide to go the self publishing route and need a hand with anything, feel free to pick my brain. I know some good editors and cover designers.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

7. Likes:

UKFlounder (08-22-2020)

Thank you.

Still working on this project, finding Much more than I expected and, I have to say, maybe too much for one book.

My current idea is to take the list of soldiers snd their information and put this section - over 1,000 names, with military and genealogical information for each - on a website. I believe that would be easier to read in terms of cpace, and it would allow me to make additions and/or corrections fairly easily. I also could add links to various regiments, battles, etc. to provide more information than would feasibly fit in a book. Ideally, it would be sortable and searchable by various data points - name, unit, birthplace, etc.

I would then still pursue a book, but only with the stories I find about these men. The book would be the narrative and the website would be the list of information.

My information is currently in a spreadsheet. Is adding it to a website reasonable or should it be in a database like access? I am not a technology expert, do snything i fo will likely need to be fairly simple. I am not opposed to hiring someone to hrlp, or, more likely, using a paid service like Wix.com or something similar, but funds are not unlimited.

Is this idea feasible?

I’m still not ready to go through with it right now, but I am very happy with how much I have found ( I know that pride comes begotten the fall, but I have done a lot of work) and am thinking about ways to share it eventually. Maybe it can be useful to other researchers somewhere or some day, but if I don’t find an existing website to add it to (my local historical society might be interested in it) is creating such a site a reasonable idea?

Again, any thoughts or ideas are appreciated

10. Likes:

marcshoe (03-05-2021)

Still working on this project, finding Much more than I expected and, I have to say, maybe too much for one book.

My current idea is to take the list of soldiers snd their information and put this section - over 1,000 names, with military and genealogical information for each - on a website. I believe that would be easier to read in terms of cpace, and it would allow me to make additions and/or corrections fairly easily. I also could add links to various regiments, battles, etc. to provide more information than would feasibly fit in a book. Ideally, it would be sortable and searchable by various data points - name, unit, birthplace, etc.

I would then still pursue a book, but only with the stories I find about these men. The book would be the narrative and the website would be the list of information.

My information is currently in a spreadsheet. Is adding it to a website reasonable or should it be in a database like access? I am not a technology expert, do snything i fo will likely need to be fairly simple. I am not opposed to hiring someone to hrlp, or, more likely, using a paid service like Wix.com or something similar, but funds are not unlimited.

Is this idea feasible?

I’m still not ready to go through with it right now, but I am very happy with how much I have found ( I know that pride comes begotten the fall, but I have done a lot of work) and am thinking about ways to share it eventually. Maybe it can be useful to other researchers somewhere or some day, but if I don’t find an existing website to add it to (my local historical society might be interested in it) is creating such a site a reasonable idea?

Again, any thoughts or ideas are appreciated
    I once provided census data to a friend who wrote a book about the civil war. Just so happens this past week, I found one of the spreadsheets I made for him, when I was moving folders from an old pc to a new one. I have no idea what has happened to all the others I made for him.

I have no idea if it has any relevance to your project, but I'd be happy to give it to you if you want.

Sounds good. If it’s emailable, send it to captainrlm at live dot com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I once provided census data to a friend who wrote a book about the civil war. Just so happens this past week, I found one of the spreadsheets I made for him, when I was moving folders from an old pc to a new one. I have no idea what has happened to all the others I made for him.

I have no idea if it has any relevance to your project, but I'd be happy to give it to you if you want.

I wrote a chapter of a law school text, publishing late this year. "Meeting the Legal Needs of Disaster Survivors: Third Responders"
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

14. Likes:

UKFlounder (03-07-2021)

Is this idea feasible?
    So you've run into the issue of scope.

Is it feasible? I'm not the person to tell people what they can't do, but since you implied upthread that this is a vanity project I would think long and hard about taking on something that open ended. Can you do it? Sure. Will you execute it? Meaning are you motivated enough to carry through on something like that? Only you can answer that question.

I wouldn't say this except you explicitly asked for thoughts or ideas. A 200-300 page historical tract aimed at getting in gift stores? Yeah. That's doable if you want to do it. I would focus on getting the best/most interesting stories instead of a comprehensive list. If there is interest in that then I would think about expanding the scope.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Good thoughts. That is definitely something worth considering. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    So you've run into the issue of scope.

Is it feasible? I'm not the person to tell people what they can't do, but since you implied upthread that this is a vanity project I would think long and hard about taking on something that open ended. Can you do it? Sure. Will you execute it? Meaning are you motivated enough to carry through on something like that? Only you can answer that question.

I wouldn't say this except you explicitly asked for thoughts or ideas. A 200-300 page historical tract aimed at getting in gift stores? Yeah. That's doable if you want to do it. I would focus on getting the best/most interesting stories instead of a comprehensive list. If there is interest in that then I would think about expanding the scope.

Sounds good. If it’s emailable, send it to captainrlm at live dot com

Thanks
    I sent you the one I had, hope it's of use.

Turn Off Ads?