Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Will Castellanos stay?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. If the Reds make the playoffs.

12 17.91%
  • No. He’ll take the $.

36 53.73%
  • Yes. He likes the team and the stability of his contract.

20 29.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Castellanos stay?

Will Castellanos stay?

He looks on track to cash in of her opts out.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Castellanos stay?

Still too early to tell, IMO. He could continue hitting well or he could slump badly for the rest of the year or, suffer a major injury. The virus might become a much lesser issue, or it may stay around and threaten next season.

Assuming he continues to play well and that next season seems prepared to happen, I guess he will try to cash in, but who knows right now

4. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-11-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I mean with his defense and seeming desire to not want to DH, he’s still probably like a 3 win kind of guy and probably won’t get much more than we already gave him to begin with. So combined with a likely depressed FA market this offseason with the CBA and pandemic economic meltdown, I think he probably ends up staying.

So yeah he stays, but not necessarily for the reasons you provided there.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-11-2020),alwaysawarrior (08-11-2020),CaiGuy (08-11-2020),REDREAD (08-11-2020)

Tough to say what the FA market will be like, but I'd be on him being gone.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I can't imagine anyone opts out of a contract with the mess of an offseason we're going to go into. With revenue slashed the money for free agents isn't going to be there, the smart move is to take the guarantee you already have.

9. Likes:

CaiGuy (08-11-2020),Crumbley (08-11-2020),Gallen5862 (08-12-2020),marcshoe (08-11-2020),mth123 (08-11-2020),Number_Fourteen (08-13-2020),REDREAD (08-11-2020),RiverRat13 (08-11-2020),savafan (08-11-2020),thatcoolguy_22 (10-20-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-11-2020)

They take the money. There's always that faint hope to think the player likes the team, the ballpark, etc....but that so very rarely happens. The expectation should be that he is somewhere else next year.

I think he and Bauer both head elsewhere for better deals.

Looks like you can vote for more than one option!

I think Castellanous will stay through 2021, due to the uncertainty of the upcoming FA market.
    I also expect FA prices to be depressed this winter. The owners have the perfect excuse for a "mini-collusion", and will likely use it.
    If he has a big season in 2021, I expect him to opt out then.

Staying in Cincy for 2021 ought to really help him have a GAB-inflated power year and really cash in.
    He's off to a great start now, but will the small sample size season get him significantly more money than he has now? Probably not.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I think he is gone. I don't think he ever had any intention of staying. The way the contract was structured, it was too easy for him to opt out. Even if the Reds win the World Series, he's gone.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I think he is gone. I don't think he ever had any intention of staying. The way the contract was structured, it was too easy for him to opt out. Even if the Reds win the World Series, he's gone.
    The way his contract is structured makes me worried. Next year he is only getting $14M. I could see the Red's restructuring this a bit to try and keep him. But free agents aren't gonna get anywhere near what they have gotten in the past for several reasons. One being the uncertainty of the new CBA and looming lockout/strike and of course the lost revenue of this year and potentially next year as well. Both of which are in our favor.
    Last edited by DocRed; 08-11-2020 at 02:43 PM.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (08-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    The way his contract is structured makes me worried. Next year he is only getting $14M. I could see the Red's restructuring this a bit to try and keep him. But free agents aren't gonna get anywhere near what they have gotten in the past for several reasons. One being the uncertainty of the new CBA and looming lockout/strike and of course the lost revenue of this year and potentially next year as well. Both of which are in our favor.
    I actually see things differently. I think that because of the shortened 2020 season and the wacky weirdness of this season, it will motivate some owners to spend more in order to bring fans back to the sport next year. Baseball has a HUGE PR problem. And the more Castellanos hits this year, the more that potential suitors will be willing to cough up more than $14 million.

I hope you are right, but these are the Reds, and if there is the remotest chance that he will bolt via some bizarre loophole, you can be sure it will probably happen.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

If the Reds lose revenue this year due to lack of fans, how will that affect next year’s budget, and, perhaps, their desire for Cast to return or opt out?

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    I think he and Bauer both head elsewhere for better deals.
    Sad, but true. Reds will give QO's to both for draft picks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Guy has played 15 games as a Red, he's as likely to stay as he is to leave.

The market is going to be a crapshow before a CBA reboot, smart money says he stays because of that stuff more than he leaves because of his 15 games of torrid hitting in 2020 so far

21. Likes:

1thru5 (08-11-2020),DocRed (08-11-2020),Rolando (08-12-2020)

Turn Off Ads?