Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Will Castellanos stay?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. If the Reds make the playoffs.

12 17.91%
  • No. He’ll take the $.

36 53.73%
  • Yes. He likes the team and the stability of his contract.

20 29.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Will Castellanos stay?

Re: Will Castellanos stay?

The state of the game is reflected in all the comments. Not one thought about whether Cast thinks the franchise is poised to win and that being part of the basis of his decision. But I get it, that's the reality.

Money being equal, I'd need to have a conversation about the franchise's commitment to winning. With only 4 winning seasons since 2000, I'd question it in Cincinnati.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    The state of the game is reflected in all the comments. Not one thought about whether Cast thinks the franchise is poised to win and that being part of the basis of his decision. But I get it, that's the reality.

Money being equal, I'd need to have a conversation about the franchise's commitment to winning. With only 4 winning seasons since 2000, I'd question it in Cincinnati.
    I think that is a fair point. The Reds, as we know, like to market the past, but for the current lot of ball players and future MLB'ers they've only ever known the Reds as a losing franchise. Thus, the guys who want to win know Cincinnati is not the place to be.

Starting to come back down to earth a bit, maybe we won’t have to worry about it at all lol
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

mgbrown66 (08-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Starting to come back down to earth a bit, maybe we won’t have to worry about it at all lol
    I mean nothing in his history suggested he was a 1.100 OPS hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I mean nothing in his history suggested he was a 1.100 OPS hitter.
    Well you can say that bout everyone in baseball not named Trout. Heck even Trout doesn't have a career OPS of 1.100

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Well you can say that bout everyone in baseball not named Trout. Heck even Trout doesn't have a career OPS of 1.100
    Right, but my point was his early returns were not even close to sustainable, even for a 60 game season.

Right, but my point was his early returns were not even close to sustainable, even for a 60 game season.
    True, but I still think he bounces. And I won’t blame him.

Has nothing to do with what I said. If he finishes with an OPS around .850 I think he stays.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Has nothing to do with what I said. If he finishes with an OPS around .850 I think he stays.
    I was responding to DocRed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    True, but I still think he bounces. And I won’t blame him.
    I do too. He’ll get an offer for 20 million a season, if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I actually see things differently. I think that because of the shortened 2020 season and the wacky weirdness of this season, it will motivate some owners to spend more in order to bring fans back to the sport next year. Baseball has a HUGE PR problem. And the more Castellanos hits this year, the more that potential suitors will be willing to cough up more than $14 million.

I hope you are right, but these are the Reds, and if there is the remotest chance that he will bolt via some bizarre loophole, you can be sure it will probably happen.
    I wish you were right, but the owners were the ones lobbying for a shorter season and stalled. They could have theoretically started baseball up before any other sport and had an advantage winning fan interest, but instead, they wanted to fight to maximize this year's profits. The owners are always just about money. Now that they have those long term, high paying TV contracts, they really don't care about fan interest.
    If the dreadful tanking period the Reds just went through isn't evidence that owners don't care about fan interest, not sure what would be.
    Last edited by REDREAD; 08-14-2020 at 05:30 PM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

I'll take a 20-1 flyer on him finishing his career in cincinnati because he likes our ballpark.

14. Likes:

DocRed (08-19-2020)

flawed poll due to the options. option #2 -- "no, he'll take the money" -- assumes that there will be a contract waiting for him better than 3-years, $48M (which is what the reds would owe him from 2021-23). given the amount of money baseball is losing this year, it could be a very dry market for free agents. there is a chance castellanos stays just because "taking the money" will mean staying with cincinnati. not just the "stability" of the contract, but the overall dollar amount. scott boras would have to get a team to promise they would pay castellanos more before castellanos would void the rest of the contract.
    Last edited by JFLegal; 08-19-2020 at 11:11 AM.

16. Likes:

DocRed (08-19-2020),RiverRat13 (08-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    flawed poll due to the options. option #2 -- "no, he'll take the money" -- assumes that there will be a contract waiting for him better than 3-years, $48 (which is what the reds would owe him from 2021-23). given the amount of money baseball is losing this year, it could be a very dry market for free agents. there is a chance castellanos stays just because "taking the money" will mean staying with cincinnati. not just the "stability" of the contract, but the overall dollar amount. scott boras would have to get a team to promise they would pay castellanos more before castellanos would void the rest of the contract.
    Ya, ppl that think he will get $20M a year for several years just aren't reading the market correctly. Based on how well he played last year with the Cubs he would have gotten that this year. I'll take that bet any day no matter how hot he finishes this season.

Castellanos has a massive hole in his swing and he is a well below average defender. No chance he gets more than his current contract sorry....

19. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-22-2020)

Castellanos is struggling along to a .190/.283/.429 line in his last 30 games, or half of the shortened season. I'd be shocked if he even considered opting out at this point, and am floored that he's been struggling along as badly as he has been since his blistering start to the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-08-2020)

Turn Off Ads?