Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any hope at a successful 2020 season?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: Any hope at a successful 2020 season?

I don't see it. The SP looks a lot shakier now with Miley & T-Bone on the mound lighting fires. This offense is way too streaky.

And then there's the bullpen and Davy Bell. These guys will hover a game or two below .500 and possibly sneak a wild card, but I don't think it happens.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Worth The Wait

The “hope” is that because over half the league will make the playoffs this year that the Reds can still get in the mix. I mean it’s not inconceivable that a 25-35 team could sneak in. So in that regard, sure there is “hope.” Do I have any hope that the Reds will turn into an actual good to really good baseball team? No.

With the expanded playoffs, the hope is this team can sneak into the post season and then Gray, Bauer, and Castillo can carry them to the World Series.

5. Likes:

CaiGuy (08-14-2020),Red Raindog (08-14-2020)

thats funny

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    thats funny
    Why? In the playoffs pitching is king. And those guys have the stuff to carry a team. I’d not bet on it, but crazier things have happened.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 08-14-2020 at 11:19 AM.

8. Likes:

DocRed (08-14-2020),Edd Roush (08-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    thats funny
    Well, the thread is about hope in a speculative, make-believe type of way. I didn't say it was realistic or had any hell's chance of happening, buuuuut if any reality is to be brought to the speculation, it's that starting pitching can carry a team to success.

Its a shame, that you feel like those top 3 guys have to pitch a shutout every night to win the game. As soon as Bell points to the Pen, I start waiting for the whiplash effect to happen.

Even in consideration of how they've played so far, they currently project for 30-30 with better than even odds at making the playoffs. I'm disappointed with how things have gone so far, but the fatalism around here is eye-roll inducing.

I'm not even trying to be optimistic, just realistic. This season can EASILY be turned around. The time to get depressed is if/when we're 20-30 with 10 to play and with a few of our best SP headed to Tommy John.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

12. Likes:

CaiGuy (08-15-2020),Old school 1983 (08-14-2020),Ron Madden (08-14-2020)

Turn Off Ads?