Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are the "Dystopian" classics?

Re: What are the "Dystopian" classics?

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I am probably one of the few people that didn't hate Waterworld. Even I wouldn't put it in as a classic, but I do wonder if it was just before it's time (1995). I suspect it would be better received in the current climate.

Escape from New York and The Hunger Games all come to mind.
    I think it was hurt by the Kevin Costner hype post Dancing with Wolves. I remember I enjoyed Waterworld at the time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Agree. However, I immediately followed that up by starting Victoria at my wife's suggestion, and it was pretty difficult to adjust to Rufus Sewell's character in Victoria after watching TMINTHC!
    I haven't seen that one, but Sewell also had a role in an episode of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel that was decidedly un-Obergruppenfuhrer-esque. It was jarring after getting used to the John Smith character.
    Last edited by RichRed; 08-19-2020 at 03:29 PM.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

4. Likes:

Boston Red (08-19-2020)

We're on page three and nary a mention of Paul Verhoeven's 80s/90s oeuvre: RoboCop, Total Recall, Starship Troopers, etc. I love the way he mixed accessible, slapstick humor with dark, cynical themes about modern society...

6. Likes:

M2 (08-21-2020),RichRed (08-20-2020),Rojo (08-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    We're on page three and nary a mention of Paul Verhoeven's 80s/90s oeuvre: RoboCop, Total Recall, Starship Troopers, etc. I love the way he mixed accessible, slapstick humor with dark, cynical themes about modern society...
    You've left out his most dystopian work - Showgirls.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-31-2020)

When I started this thread I was only expecting a few replies; and was hoping for a lead on what to tackle next. So good job everybody? But I'll leave a couple:

TV (Anime)- Psycho-Pass season one. There is a lot of bad anime out there. But Psycho-pass season one is probably the best theme-driven dystopias in TV. I highly recommend watching the Japanese audio with subtitles. Great Characters. Good tension. Warning: Graphic violence at times.

Interactive (Video Game)- Deus Ex: Human Revolution. This game explores the questions 1) How much can you alter humanity until you are no longer human? And what powers or forces can be trusted to chart human engineering.

I'll Fifth Children of Men. When will we see our "Baby Diego?"

Let me throw one out there that hasn't been mentioned yet:

A Clockwork Orange
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?