Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thornburg activated, Colon DFA'd

Re: Thornburg activated, Colon DFA'd

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Yes, but that's what happens when Moustakas gets hurt and you have little depth in the middle infield.

The past week they've put him in a role that he's not suited for.
    Of course that’s what happens. But it shouldn’t when you have a top MI prospect in your off site camp and there’s zero service time penalty for calling him up

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    The Reds just DFAd a guy they used in 11 out of 19 games. A dude that wouldn’t even be on the team without expanded rosters. Do we think he may have been over utilized?
    According to some this is the organizational direction.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Of course that’s what happens. But it shouldn’t when you have a top MI prospect in your off site camp and there’s zero service time penalty for calling him up
    Players get service time when they are called up.

Now, I'm definitely not one to not call someone up over service time issues because screw that, it's a garbage way to treat people, but the argument you're making simply isn't true. If you call someone up this year, they get service time, prorated for the games played/season length.

5. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (08-14-2020),marcshoe (08-14-2020),Ron Madden (08-14-2020),Tom Servo (08-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Players get service time when they are called up.

Now, I'm definitely not one to not call someone up over service time issues because screw that, it's a garbage way to treat people, but the argument you're making simply isn't true. If you call someone up this year, they get service time, prorated for the games played/season length.
    I could have sworn I read somewhere that at this point a team wouldn’t lose a year of control if they called a player up at this point. Maybe I’m mistaken or it was a bad source.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I could have sworn I read somewhere that at this point a team wouldn’t lose a year of control if they called a player up at this point. Maybe I’m mistaken or it was a bad source.
    That is not what you said, though. You said there's no penalty for calling him up.

But let's play this out and say you call him up for one week this year and the Reds play 60 games this year. That means he would get 19 days of service time in 2020 on his "record" moving forward. If the Reds then want to "hold him down" next year to get that "extra year", he's got to be out in 2021 until the start of May.

Now, if the Reds simply wanted to call him up this year, and the plan was to have him on the team forever until free agency moving forward, they already have waited enough to lock in that "extra year". But we're still talking about a guy who has never had an at-bat above A-ball. They may not be quite ready to make such a solid commitment.

8. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (08-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That is not what you said, though. You said there's no penalty for calling him up.

But let's play this out and say you call him up for one week this year and the Reds play 60 games this year. That means he would get 19 days of service time in 2020 on his "record" moving forward. If the Reds then want to "hold him down" next year to get that "extra year", he's got to be out in 2021 until the start of May.

Now, if the Reds simply wanted to call him up this year, and the plan was to have him on the team forever until free agency moving forward, they already have waited enough to lock in that "extra year". But we're still talking about a guy who has never had an at-bat above A-ball. They may not be quite ready to make such a solid commitment.
    What’s the biggest penalty associated with service time...you know the one that’s manipulated by teams every year...it’s the year of control. Now that I clarified what I meant, let’s have the actual discussion. I really don’t care if he’s held out to May in 2021. In 2021, there may be no Disco, Castellanos, or Bauer on the team. Of course they may be replaced with equal or better talent, but we know they are here now. My point was guys like colon were being overused when there’s a guy who likely adds more to the team right there in Prasco, and the not losing a year of service time risk is minimal. If he comes up and kills it, you’re playing him all the way through to free agency like your argument. If he doesn’t, no one will fret over having him in the minors until May 2021. In both scenarios, I’d damn near bet my life savings he provides more performance to the team than Colon...probably Farmer too. Same with Stephenson. I’d be willing to wager he could outplay Barnhart and Casali right now. And Aquino on the bench would bench makes sense too. This isn’t a wait and see year. It’s a year to win. So go in guns blazing and try to win. Call those guys up. Use some of the people they’re going to replace as trade chips for pen help. Win this thing. The talent is there.

Turn Off Ads?