Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Vocalists

Re: Top 5 Vocalists

Axl Rose....

Everyone else
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Axl Rose....

Everyone else
    I'm certainly not a "music guy", but whenever this topic comes up, Axl Rose is the first person that comes to my mind every single time.

I'll first name a couple of vocalists not yet mentioned that I like, in part because of their ability to sing various styles of music.
    Ray Charles sang rhythm and blues, jazz, gospel, country and pop, and seemed at home in each genre, even as he sometimes pushed their limits.
    Glen Campbell is best remembered for his country and country-pop hits (and his guitar playing), but he was also a Beach Boy briefly in the mid-60s. He's the only male singer I've ever heard who didn't embarrass himself by covering Roy Orbison's "Crying."
    I realize that Martina McBride has been mentioned by another poster, but I want to second that nomination. In addition to her country hits, Martina can do rock, in concert she rivals Judy Garland's version of "Over the Rainbow," and she can cover tradional country artists such as Loretta Lynn (adding a twang) or Tammy Wynette.
    Linda Ronstadt nailed songs in both Spanish and English, could rock, and did pop standards justice.
    Elvis Presley has been mentioned, but Elvis was almost unique in his ability to cover multiple genres of music, and to do it well.
    Pat Benatar has an amazingly powerful voice.
    Whitney Houston, Karen Carpenter, Aretha Franklin, Patsy Cline and Roy Orbison have already justly been mentioned.
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 08-18-2020 at 12:17 PM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Dave Grohl
    Eddie Vedder
    Zac Brown
    Chris Stapleton
    Freddie Mercury

To each his own. I threw Eddie Vedder in there, but I don't think he is a great vocalist. Other than him, all the other four guys have either a great voice or a voice where it makes me stop and say 'man I like his voice.'

George Jones
    Marvin Gaye
    Aretha Franklin

Everyone else

7. Likes:

redsfanmia (08-18-2020)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    George Jones
    Marvin Gaye
    Aretha Franklin

Everyone else
    This is the correct answer. Mods please close this thread.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

My top five favorites are:
    Adele
    George Jones
    Chris Cornell
    Mavis Staples
    Patsy Cline.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I'll throw one name I haven't seen yet and wonder how he can't be mentioned yet... Bob Seger.

My list is probably (in no particular order):
    Freddy Mercury
    Bob Seger

I don't have speakers working for this comp right now so I can't really sit here and listen to music to find 3 more.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

This is as subjective a topic as could possibly exist.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

12. Likes:

marcshoe (08-18-2020)

Female:

Alice Faye
    Judy Garland
    Doris Day
    Irene Dunn
    Kathryn Grayson
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

14. Likes:

marcshoe (08-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    This is as subjective a topic as could possibly exist.
    Absolutely. I love every singer mentioned in this thread. A lot depends on genre. Also, songs are important too. For example, I think Adele has an incredible voice, but I don’t like her songs for some
    reason. I prefer Sia for that reason. I’m a big Axl Rose fan because I think he has the most unique voice of all-time. No one sounds even remotely like him. I like Guns ‘n Roses too, but I need to be ready to rock before listening.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Female:

Alice Faye
    Judy Garland
    Doris Day
    Irene Dunn
    Kathryn Grayson
    Came very close to naming Doris Day and should have listed Judy Garland, who can tear a person apart with a song.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 08-19-2020 at 12:05 AM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-19-2020)

Current day, Marcus Mumford from Mumford and Sons has some serious pipes. He’s my favorite vocalist right now. Listen to Delta Live when you get a chance. It’s awesome.

Donna freakin' Summer

and Sam Cooke

and Noddy Holder
    Last edited by M2; 08-19-2020 at 12:31 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Donna freakin' Summer
    "Bad Girls"

- - - Updated - - -

Modern? I love Randy Crawford.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-19-2020 at 12:40 AM.

Turn Off Ads?