Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Top 5 Vocalists

Re: Top 5 Vocalists

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    And here are some unique voices who aren't considered great singers in the technical sense, but are some of the most successful of all time

Mick Jagger
    Bob Dylan
    Johnny Cash
    Tom Petty
    Hank Williams
    Personally, I think there's a difference between singer and vocalist. Tom Petty is an incredible musician and songwriter and I love listening to him sing, but he's not much of a vocalist... and I don't think it matters. He sings his songs beautifully.

I know it's blasphemous to many, but years ago I became a convert to the rock bands of the 60s and 70s (I wasn't born when they were all big), but as hard as I tried, I just couldn't find it in me to like the Rolling Stones. And I think the main reason is because I absolutely can't stand to listen to Mick sing. I just can't get past it. Add in that he doesn't really play an instrument (harmonica doesn't count) and I just don't see any musical talent in him at all. He's one of the greatest entertainers of all time, so I can fully recognize his talents there. But I can't get past his voice and lack of musical ability. I could envision a scenario where a different singer and Keith Richards could have been just as big. I can't envision any scenario where Mick Jagger and someone other than Richards rising to that level. And it's not like the Beatles or Dylan, where the songs themselves drew me in and have kept them on top of most of my playlists. It's a point of contention with my in-laws who are like rock encyclopedias and know more about music than anyone I know, and are good musicians themselves. Nothing compares to the Stones for them. But they always tell me about how different they were they came out. "No one sounded like them" is what they say. I'm sure that's true.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-02-2020),KronoRed (09-10-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Chris Stapleton
    Oh, that's good one I didn't think about. I don't love that he's more in the country world now, but he can sang. The live version of Amanda that he does with his wife gives me the chills.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Personally, I think there's a difference between singer and vocalist. Tom Petty is an incredible musician and songwriter and I love listening to him sing, but he's not much of a vocalist... and I don't think it matters. He sings his songs beautifully.

I know it's blasphemous to many, but years ago I became a convert to the rock bands of the 60s and 70s (I wasn't born when they were all big), but as hard as I tried, I just couldn't find it in me to like the Rolling Stones. And I think the main reason is because I absolutely can't stand to listen to Mick sing. I just can't get past it. Add in that he doesn't really play an instrument (harmonica doesn't count) and I just don't see any musical talent in him at all. He's one of the greatest entertainers of all time, so I can fully recognize his talents there. But I can't get past his voice and lack of musical ability. I could envision a scenario where a different singer and Keith Richards could have been just as big. I can't envision any scenario where Mick Jagger and someone other than Richards rising to that level. And it's not like the Beatles or Dylan, where the songs themselves drew me in and have kept them on top of most of my playlists. It's a point of contention with my in-laws who are like rock encyclopedias and know more about music than anyone I know, and are good musicians themselves. Nothing compares to the Stones for them. But they always tell me about how different they were they came out. "No one sounded like them" is what they say. I'm sure that's true.
    Mick definitely doesn't have a great voice, but somehow it fits those songs. Listen to Linda Ronstadt, who does have a great voice, sing Tumblin' Dice and then Listen to the Stone's version. There is no comparison. Linda's voice is hugely better, but the Stone's version is way better than Linda's. Some of that is the music but the main difference is Mick.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4 pages and nobody has mentioned this guy?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

This is just all sorts of wrong.

8. Likes:

westofyou (09-10-2020)

The answers to the first post and question of this thread remind of when the question gets asked of the public, "Who are the greatest celebrities ever?", and one after another starts answering "The Kardashians!"

The greatest voices come from the long list of opera singers. This isn't debatable. All the rest of the singers mentioned in this thread are among the greatest "entertainers", not greatest "voices". They might make you feel great because of what you hear when they sing, but that doesn't increase their standing as one of the greatest "voices" ever.

It reminds me of the traveling Broadway musicals where good singers get the leads, but those who get the leads from the same show that remains on Broadway, that get the standing ovations or sometimes steal a show are always the ones with a more "operatic" training that comes through in the sounds from their voices. It's deeper and richer and more precise in all tones because they have "a greater voice". "Popular" singers are just that..."Pop" - Stars from popular culture of the time, like the Kardashians of the entertainment world of today.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

11. Likes:

Betterread (09-13-2020)

Not going to argue that he's top 5 or top any number, but about 20 years ago Peter Yarrow came to the school where I was teaching to put on a concert for his anti-bullying initiative. I was part of the team for the audio and video recording of the concert. I can still remember the chills I got when I had my headphones in for his sound check. Until that point, I always thought it was more luck than anything that determined if one made it big (and certainly luck is a part of it). But after that day, I recognized that most of the singers who become stars are just on another level than any other "good" singers.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Did someone mention opera?

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Another George MIchael performance:

These artists can make me stop and listen to them no matter what I'm doing, if that is a measure of my top five:

Ella Fitzgerald
    Aretha Franklin
    Luciano Pavoratti
    Frank Sinatra
    Freddie Mercury
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Nothing compares to the Stones for them. But they always tell me about how different they were they came out. "No one sounded like them" is what they say. I'm sure that's true.
    I remember those days well (lol). While the Beatles were portrayed as the "clean" pop band, safe, harmless, as well as others - Four Seasons, DC5, Herman's Hermits, etc ... if there was a "dark side" to pop music back then, bad influence, the type of music you didn't want your kids listening to ... it was the Rolling Stones. Most "typical" parents didn't care for them, their music or the image they portrayed (lol). But that's what the Stones wanted. They didn't want to be Beatle-like. They were far more rooted in rhythm and blues, as the Beatles were rock n roll. The Stones weren't Tiger Beat and 16 Magazine material for the most part.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

No mention of Jim Morrison, Harry Nilsson, or Joe Cocker? I also thought David Gates of Bread was an excellent vocalist.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-19-2020 at 07:47 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?