Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Northern Trust Fedex Playoffs

The Northern Trust Fedex Playoffs

Should be a good first leg of the Fedex Cup Playoffs with the top 125 in the standings to be whittled down to 70 for the BMW championships the next week and then the Tour Championship with the top 30 the following week. Tiger is currently #49 in the Fedex standings and opens up as a 40-1 with JT and Bryson favored at 12-2. Tiger has tee times of 8:37am on Thursday and 1:17 on Friday.

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/...ed-six-majors/

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/...tee-times.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Northern Trust Fedex Playoffs

Good topic:

We have some world class courses here in Bandon Oregon (ranked #'s 1 & 3 over various years) that people fly to just to play golf (it's my favorite part of the world for the beauty of its beaches, but the winds are treacherous, which what makes their courses great LINKS courses. You have to keep the balls low and accurate and control your spin, no bonus for being able to whack the ball a million miles). The Bandon courses are filled with players from the Orient who fly 5000 miles and 14 hours in the air to play there.

My question:

What is the farthest distance you have traveled to play a round of golf?

For me, it was Portland to Phoenix (Superstition Springs Golf Course), which is 1009 flight miles. Tossed in a Bengals/Cardinals pre-season game while I was there. It was 118 degrees that afternoon there. My friend could only get through 15 holes being on the heavy-set side, which is fine, as it was pretty scary to watch him.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-19-2020 at 10:16 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Good topic:

We have some world class courses here in Bandon Oregon (ranked #'s 1 & 3 over various years) that people fly to just to play golf (it's my favorite part of the world for the beauty of its beaches, but the winds are treacherous, which what makes their courses great LINKS courses. You have to keep the balls low and accurate and control your spin, no bonus for being able to whack the ball a million miles). The Bandon course are filled with players from the Orient who fly 5000 miles and 14 hours in the air to play there.

My question:

What is the farthest distance you have traveled to play a round of golf?

For me, it was Portland to Phoenix (Superstition Springs Golf Course), which is 1009 flight miles. Tossed in a Bengals/Cardinals pre-season game while I was there. It was 118 degrees that afternoon there. My friend could only get through 15 holes being on the heavy-set side, which is fine, as it was pretty scary to watch him.
    I can’t believe you live in Bandon. I’m jealous. Can’t wait to go there. I traveled from
    Cincinnati to Portland to play in the ‘98 Us Amateur at Pumpkin Ridge. That’s the year Tiger won his third in a row. I traveled to Southport, England to caddy in the ‘05 Ladies British Open at Royal Birkdale. Nowadays, I travel 3 miles to work/play at my home course.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I can’t believe you live in Bandon. I’m jealous. Can’t wait to go there. I traveled from
    Cincinnati to Portland to play in the ‘98 Us Amateur at Pumpkin Ridge. That’s the year Tiger won his third in a row. I traveled to Southport, England to caddy in the ‘05 Ladies British Open at Royal Birkdale. Nowadays, I travel 3 miles to work/play at my home course.
    I wish I lived in Bandon. That would be fantastic. No. In fact, I just signed a lease on a place in Vancouver (just a short walk to the beach along the Columbia River). I was down in Bandon at the end of June, though.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-19-2020 at 10:18 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

7. Likes:

Redhook (08-19-2020)

That is really cool. I remember that '98 tournament. Wasn't there in attendance, but I worked just a couple miles from there in Beaverton. Pretty special tournament. Want to say that Tiger won that by one stroke, but I'm not sure.

I separated my shoulder two and one half years ago and it hasn't gotten much better after three surgeries. Don't know if I'll ever golf again. Will definitely get to Scotland within the next five years. Would love to see if I could somehow get my shoulder going before then.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-19-2020 at 10:18 PM.

9. Likes:

Redhook (08-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That is really cool. I remember that '98 tournament. Wasn't there in attendance, but I worked just a couple miles from there in Beaverton. Pretty special tournament. Want to say that Tiger won that by one stroke, but I'm not sure.
    It was match play. He was 3 down to Steve Scott on the back 9 then made an epic comeback. I think he won 1 Up on 18. He was 1 down going to 17.

Personally, I missed making match play by a shot. It’s hard to make. They take the top 64 out of 312 golfers. It was a cool week though. I got to watch Tiger on the range. Insane! And, I was paired with Trip Kuehne the first two rounds. Trip lost to Tiger in the ‘96 final at Sawgrass. He was really good. And his brother, Hank, won the ‘99 amateur. Hank played on tour for a bit and led the tour in driving distance is ‘03 with 320 yards a drive (Bryson is 323 this year). I played with Hank too. He outdrove me by 70 yards a hole and I’m not short....compared to normal pros.
    Last edited by Redhook; 08-20-2020 at 09:11 AM.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-19-2020)

It was match play. He was 3 down to Steve Scott on the back 9 then made an epic comeback. I think he won 1 Up on 18. He was 1 down going to 17.

Personally, I missed making match play my a shot. It’s hard to make. They take the top 64 out of 312 golfers. It was a cool week though. I got to watch Tiger on the range. Insane! And, I was paired with Trip Kuehne the first two rounds. Trip lost to Tiger in the ‘96 final at Sawgrass. He was really good. And his brother, Hank, won the ‘99 amateur. Hank played on tour for a bit and led the tour in driving distance is ‘03 with 320 yards a drive (Bryson is 323 this year). I played with Hank too. He outdrive
    me by 70 yards a hole and I’m not short....compared to normal pros.
    That's just crazy numbers. That trip to Phoenix in '95 was the first time I used Callaway Titaniums. Could not believe the distance (at the time) they made for me. In '96, I spent the whole summer on a golf course playing about 36 holes a day rehabbing foot surgery (boss didn't like it, even though I used all vacation time...he was just jealous because I could still make sales from the golf course and do my job almost as well). It's amazing how good you can get when you play that much (and combine it with lessons) and how you'll never improve if you only play twice a week.

I have an ex-coworker who drives to Bandon about a dozen times a year from Vancouver. He really loves to play there. It's about a four, five hour drive.

13. Likes:

Redhook (08-19-2020)

Redhook, you know how you like Eric Davis?

From '85 to '91 I used to put an Eric Davis card in my sock for motivation (and had a Pete Rose card in my wallet for motivation before that).

You do whatever you have to do to encourage yourself in this world. Nobody is going to do it for you. Nobody else is paying the bills. It helps to remember who is responsible for the state of my affairs.

15. Likes:

Redhook (08-19-2020)

Tiger is -2 thru 13 and t13. I ponied up and paid $9.99 just to watch him today. Hope I didn't jinx him :X

I'm pretty sure DocRed needs a separate Tiger Woods thread.

18. Likes:

DocRed (08-20-2020)

With the way players score these days, 68s and 69s aren't going to cut it.

I've got small plays on Berger, JT and Kokrak (hey, why not on the 150-1 lottery ticket?) this week. Decent starts for Berger and JT. Kokrak goes in the afternoon.

Tiger had it rolling, but bogeyed 18. 3-under par 68.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I've got small plays on Berger, JT and Kokrak (hey, why not on the 150-1 lottery ticket?) this week. Decent starts for Berger and JT. Kokrak goes in the afternoon.
    When you bet on golf is it a Ricky Bobby bet - if you ain't first, you're last?

22. Likes:

DocRed (08-20-2020)

Yes, if you bet to win the tournament. But you can also bet matchups for the day. So I have Kokrak over Fleetwood for just today's round (not a great start on that one!). There are also often bets on making/missing the cut, finishing in the top 10 or top 5.

24. Likes:

DocRed (08-20-2020),texasdave (08-20-2020)

Fleetwood -5!

Turn Off Ads?