Turn Off Ads?
Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: Thom Brennaman suspended for on-air comments

Re: Thom Brennaman suspended for on-air comments

Surprised they had the guts to sweep him out.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I feel a little sad about Thom's Reds broadcasting career ending like this, but he only has himself to blame. When you're at the workplace, concentrate on your work and keep your disapproving opinions about others' lifestyles to yourself.

And claiming "That's not me" afterward has never made things better for anyone and never will.

4. Likes:

goldglover9 (09-25-2020),RedsfaninMT (09-26-2020),UKFlounder (09-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Surprised they had the guts to sweep him out.
    Zero tolerance is zero tolerance. We Redszone veterans as of today may need to admit that just maybe this club isn't the perpetual train wreck we make it out to be. An organization actually doing what it says it will, and handling it in a way that keeps things from escalating to dumpster fire status deserves a little credit for putting one foot in front of the other rather competently in a veritable minefield.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

6. Likes:

goldglover9 (09-26-2020),Kurt Stillwell (09-26-2020),mth123 (09-26-2020),RedlegJake (09-26-2020)

Thom's Reds career just took one right down the can. Unbelievable! On a side note, I heard worse broadcasters than Thom. Those two clowns last Saturday night on big Fox.

8. Likes:

Chip R (09-27-2020)

never-ending conversation on the best players to make up the team. Now Reds management needs to make a future forward decision on the vocal face of the Reds - a marketing decision with a high value of finding a person who will attract younger fans.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    I feel a little sad about Thom's Reds broadcasting career ending like this, but he only has himself to blame. When you're at the workplace, concentrate on your work and keep your disapproving opinions about others' lifestyles to yourself.

And claiming "That's not me" afterward has never made things better for anyone and never will.
    I never paid much attention to his broadcasting to be honest as I listen to the radio broadcast more. That being said, how dumb is he? To blurt that out was pure stupidity....

11. Likes:

Always Red (09-26-2020),TexasRedsFan (09-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JustaFan View Post
    never-ending conversation on the best players to make up the team. Now Reds management needs to make a future forward decision on the vocal face of the Reds - a marketing decision with a high value of finding a person who will attract younger fans.
    I dunno. Do people really decide if they're gonna follow a certain baseball team because they think their announcer is hip? I think if you enjoy watching the game, you'll watch it regardless of how young or old the game caller is. I'd just suggest staying away from someone who seems pompous enough that they might stupidly say something homophobic on air.
    Last edited by TexasRedsFan; 09-26-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Also, to all of you piling on, "I'm so happy," and all that.

Not a good look.
    I definitely don’t like the idea of getting giddy about the entire situation; we can be bigger as there's a drive into deep left field by Castellanos and that'll be a home run. And so that'll make it a 4-0 ballgame. But I am glad he’s no longer the broadcaster.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

14. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-27-2020),Chip R (09-27-2020),Crumbley (09-27-2020),RichRed (09-26-2020),TexasRedsFan (09-26-2020),The Operator (09-27-2020),westofyou (09-27-2020),Yachtzee (09-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    I dunno. Do people really decide if they're gonna follow a certain baseball team because they think their announcer is hip? I think if you enjoy watching the game, you'll watch it regardless of how young or old the game caller is. I'd just suggest staying away from someone who seems pompous enough that they might stupidly say something homophobic on air.
    I suspect liking the announcer causes people to stick with the broadcast.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaFan View Post
    Joe Rogan it is, then
    I've got my pride, I drink my wine

17. Likes:

bm1475 (09-27-2020),Crumbley (09-27-2020)

Anyone who thinks Joe Rogan is for "younger fans" probably thinks Bill Cunningham is "mainstream".
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

19. Likes:

757690 (09-27-2020),alwaysawarrior (09-28-2020),BillDoran (09-28-2020),Chip R (09-27-2020),goldglover9 (09-27-2020),Number_Fourteen (09-27-2020),westofyou (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Anyone who thinks Joe Rogan is for "younger fans" probably thinks Bill Cunningham is "mainstream".
    Good point.

Hire PewDiePie as play-by-play, with color commentator Mr. Beast!
    I've got my pride, I drink my wine

21. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-27-2020)

The saddest thing is that people who use that language usually have unresolved issues about their own sexuality. Thom may have more to face about himself than he thinks.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

We were all jealous of Thom Brennaman because we all wished we had his job.

We disliked him because he was not good at his job that we wish we all had.

Quote Originally Posted by zigbeenuthouse View Post
    I never paid much attention to his broadcasting to be honest as I listen to the radio broadcast more. That being said, how dumb is he? To blurt that out was pure stupidity....
    Not defending him but this was between innings and he didn't realize that people other than anyone in the booth could hear him. No excuse for saying that though. I'm sure people have said worse when they weren't on the air but they didn't get their comment picked up and sent out to the world.

That said, it probably can be attributed to his personality. We have seen over the past 15 years how much he resists new ideas and changes in the game. You don't have to embrace these ideas and changes but you don't have to be openly hostile to them. He must have thought he was bulletproof after he was kept on after his dad retired even though there has been a lot of criticism of him as a broadcaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

25. Likes:

redhawkfish (09-29-2020)

Turn Off Ads?