Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: Thom Brennaman suspended for on-air comments

Re: Thom Brennaman suspended for on-air comments

I'm not sorry he is gone. It was time for a change, however. In this day and time, you just can't say things like that. I have for years worked for a Fortune 100 company and I'm sure they would have said the same thing about me without delay. Dismiss kindly. That's the way it's done, like it or not. I've met Thom, and although his pbp on Reds games was not my cup of tea, he was a nice guy. He got fired. I take no joy in anyone getting fired no matter who it is. I've had to fire people. It's no fun. I hope Thom and his family are going to be okay.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Likes:

64red (09-28-2020),Big Klu (09-27-2020),Billy_Bearcat (09-27-2020),mth123 (09-29-2020),Revering4Blue (09-27-2020),Roy Tucker (09-27-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Not defending him but this was between innings and he didn't realize that people other than anyone in the booth could hear him. No excuse for saying that though. I'm sure people have said worse when they weren't on the air but they didn't get their comment picked up and sent out to the world..
    Even if it didn’t get sent over the air, he would have been fired if someone in the booth complained and reported it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Likes:

Chip R (09-28-2020),Revering4Blue (09-27-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Even if it didn’t get sent over the air, he would have been fired if someone in the booth complained and reported it.

Maybe there had been complaints, but they wouldn't fire Thom when his dad was still broadcasting. Could be that this event was the final straw.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

7. Likes:

Chip R (09-28-2020),goldglover9 (09-27-2020)

I think Motley Crue provided the most incisive take on this sort of situation.

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-27-2020),StRedlegs900 (09-28-2020),WrongVerb (09-27-2020)

IF

The off-the-mic stuff? Sincerely doubt any of his booth buddies, part of the sorority, would file one. IMO, it has to get out public, in some manner, before anyone says anything or anything is done.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

11. Likes:

Chip R (09-28-2020)

This happened to Bob Lamey of the Colts booth.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    IF

The off-the-mic stuff? Sincerely doubt any of his booth buddies, part of the sorority, would file one. IMO, it has to get out public, in some manner, before anyone says anything or anything is done.
    You are assuming no one would file a complaint.

If someone did, he would be fired.

If no one did, It likely goes unreported and therefore unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Maybe there had been complaints, but they wouldn't fire Thom when his dad was still broadcasting. Could be that this event was the final straw.
    If there had been complaints and then didn’t do anything, they would have a different lawsuit on their hands.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

17. Likes:

M2 (09-27-2020),Revering4Blue (09-28-2020)

Thom must have really been feeling his homophobic oats to fire off something like that unsolicited.

...or was he having a conversation about it with someone else and his last word is all that made it on air?
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 09-28-2020 at 09:09 AM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

19. Likes:

goreds2 (09-28-2020),mth123 (09-29-2020),texasdave (09-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

47 mins into the song motley bunch delivers the chorus line...incisive maybe, concisive not. I wont get that time back.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    IF

Sorority, Gracie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

22. Likes:

westofyou (09-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Thom must have really been feeling his homophobic oats to fire off something like that unsolicited.

...or was he having a conversation about it with someone else and his last word is all that made it on air?
    I imagine we’ll never know but it does make you wonder who that conversation was with and what was said before we heard Thom’s slur.

Quote Originally Posted by faffy42 View Post
    47 mins into the song motley bunch delivers the chorus line...incisive maybe, concisive not. I wont get that time back.
    Or 2 minutes and 15 seconds, dependent on your understanding of time.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

25. Likes:

faffy42 (09-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I imagine we’ll never know but it does make you wonder who that conversation was with and what was said before we heard Thom’s slur.
    Yup.

I doubt it was out of nowhere. Like they were talking about KC BBQ and then Thom drops the f bomb? Even for Thom, that doesn't seem likely.

Doesn't matter. But I wondered if I was the only one who considered that possibility. Seems more likely than not that there was an inappropriate back and forth there.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Turn Off Ads?