Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 62 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Thom Brennaman suspended for on-air comments

Re: The Thom Brennaman haters might get their wish......

Quote Originally Posted by 1thru5 View Post
    It seems both pugnacious and morally repugnant to heap scorn and vitriol on those we do not agree with.

That's true for Thom, and all who speak as he did, as well as those who may celebrate his demise.

In the end, hate always loses.
    It's too early for false equivalence responses. Ugh.

2. Likes:

wolfboy (08-19-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Is it pretty bad that the two most famous people from Ohio University are Thom Brenneman and Matt Lauer?
    Mike Schmidt
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-20-2020),Redsland (08-20-2020),Revering4Blue (08-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Mike Schmidt
    I stand corrected.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Nope, Sinclair owns FSNOhio and Sinclair slants conservative.
    I’m pretty sure the Reds contract with FSO says the broadcasters work for and are compensated by the club, however.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    "I pride myself and think of myself as a man of faith."

Oh brother . Thom should have argued that this was just "Locker room talk". It worked for that other guy.
    He hid behind god and apologized to "the people who sign my paychecks."

Disgusting.

9. Likes:

dabvu2498 (08-20-2020),dreghorntwo (08-19-2020),goldglover9 (08-19-2020),Griffey012 (08-19-2020),OGB (08-19-2020),Revering4Blue (08-19-2020),wolfboy (08-19-2020)

I agree, we all should be much more tolerant of bigots.

Good use of "pugnacious" though. Kind of...

Quote Originally Posted by 1thru5 View Post
    It seems both pugnacious and morally repugnant to heap scorn and vitriol on those we do not agree with.

That's true for Thom, and all who speak as he did, as well as those who may celebrate his demise.

In the end, hate always loses.
    No, sorry. He used a hateful slur. There's no equivalency.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

12. Likes:

Cursh14 (08-19-2020),Revering4Blue (08-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gant View Post
    I agree, we all should be much more tolerant of bigots.

Good use of "pugnacious" though. Kind of...
    I am not just being pugnacious here when I say that it felt like a pretty forced use... Didn't really make sense except to give it a Seinfeld Jackie Chiles feel.

How have we canceled anything?

He said it, with a pretty obvious amount of vitriol I might add. Did people here call into fox? Is it crazy to think Fox Sports execs were like “yeah, nah, we don’t want this bigot repping our brand. Bye”?

He said it with a significant amount of vitriol.

15. Likes:

dabvu2498 (08-20-2020),RedTeamGo! (08-19-2020),Revering4Blue (08-19-2020),wolfboy (08-19-2020)

Seriously though, what kind of grown man talks like that in real life, in this century? Sounded like a sad, unfunny person’s imitation of Archie Bunker.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

17. Likes:

Ironman92 (08-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Cursh14 View Post
    I am not just being pugnacious here when I say that it felt like a pretty forced use... Didn't really make sense except to give it a Seinfeld Jackie Chiles feel.
    It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!

19. Likes:

Cursh14 (08-20-2020),dreghorntwo (08-19-2020),mgbrown66 (08-19-2020),StRedlegs900 (08-20-2020),Unassisted (08-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Thom being a closeted homophobe has to be one of the least surprising things ever. His whole schtik is predicated around believing his opinions and hot takes are fact and not adjusting to the times, people around him, or actual facts and data.
    Good point. Just last week he was saying the greatest tv characters of all time were Fonz, Archie Bunker, George Jefferson....

I can be sympathetic to older folks who don’t follow social media or know what they are saying can be hurtful or trigger others. But Thom is only 56 and I have a feeling he knew damn well he shouldn’t say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    He said it with a significant amount of vitriol.
    Yeah, I think there are scenarios Thom doesn’t get fired using that word. Like quoting The Hangover or something else dumb. That was full blown someone else said something about Kansas City and his response was a very hateful “thats one of the fag capitals of the world” without a hint of trying to make a joke. That was a hateful comment about homosexuals. Bad jokes can be forgiven and eventually forgotten. That was not meant as a bad joke, it was straight up hate.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Yeah, I think there are scenarios Thom doesn’t get fired using that word. Like quoting The Hangover or something else dumb. That was full blown someone else said something about Kansas City and his response was a very hateful “thats one of the fag capitals of the world” without a hint of trying to make a joke. That was a hateful comment about homosexuals. Bad jokes can be forgiven and eventually forgotten. That was not meant as a bad joke, it was straight up hate.
    Ron Gant posted it earlier but it’s basically Go Bleep Yourself San Diego from Anchorman.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    John Rocker got punished several times for saying insensitive things.. It was so long ago, I don't remember what he said, but it was pretty severe.. so yes, I agree with you. The player might not be released, but he'd be
    disciplined.
    Rocker's suspension by Selig about his comments in SI was at the time one of the largest suspensions in MLB history at the time, I vividly remember that because it's when I was just entering the industry. His suspension was cut in half and he had to attend sensitivity training.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (08-20-2020)

Turn Off Ads?