Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do w Joey Votto

Re: What to do w Joey Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Votto's OBP (.370) is 50 points higher than everybody not named Winker (.493) and Castellanos (.352). That's why he's batting 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

The Oakland A's haven't won a World Series or AL pennant in 30 years. Hopefully the Reds don't try to emulate them.

Fact is, the Reds have plenty of money to compete, even with Votto's contract on the books. He's made the organization a ton of money throughout his career and his contract is already paid for. If they wanted to base his salary on production value, he'd have several years where he would be worth upwards of 40 and even 50+ million. Teams don't want to do that though, they want to spread it out.
    1. Oakland has been a ton more competitive getting to the playoffs, being in playoff contention than the Reds have been for 20 years. Success isn't just World Series or bust to many people.
    2. If the Reds have plenty of money......do you think we're going to pony up for Bauey and Castellanos?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I can maybe understand not starting him at 1B, but he’d be the team’s best LH hitter off the bench if he wasn’t starting.

I imagine that is how he spends the last year or two of his contract.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

4. Likes:

faffy42 (08-24-2020)

The most upsetting thing about Votto and his contract is that the Reds locked him up only to waste his prime years failing miserably at rebuilding and/or putting a decent team on the field.

6. Likes:

757690 (08-20-2020),BillDoran (08-20-2020),Coopdaddy67 (08-20-2020),Cursh14 (08-20-2020),DocRed (08-20-2020),dubc47834 (08-20-2020),Edd Roush (08-20-2020),GullyFoyle (08-20-2020),mth123 (08-20-2020),Red Raindog (08-20-2020),Revering4Blue (08-20-2020),Roy Tucker (08-21-2020),WildcatFan (08-21-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    2. If the Reds have plenty of money......do you think we're going to pony up for Bauey and Castellanos?
    There's a difference between having the money and spending it. I have no idea what they plan on doing.

Right now, Castellanos probably wouldn't opt out. After starting hot, he's had a rough couple weeks.

I have no idea what happens with Bauer or if he'd even be interested in returning to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The time to ask this question was after the 2016 season when he was performing like an MVP and would have returned a couple of top prospects in addition to unloading his money. The team was tanking anyway. Most of Redszone did not agree.
    No he wouldn't have. He would have gotten a couple lotto tickets and a bag of balls maybe...
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

9. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (08-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    If he retired today, he'd be a member of the ultra exclusive .300/.400/.500 club.

He's one of the greatest OBP guys in baseball history.

He's a Hall of Famer.
    I think he's HOF worthy if he ends there, but I don't think he gets voted in unless he gets to around 350 HR and 1200 RBIs to go with all of that. 3 more years like the last 2 and that slugging percentage may not stay above .500.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    No he wouldn't have. He would have gotten a couple lotto tickets and a bag of balls maybe...
    Some contender would have paid that easy. He was the best hitter in the game.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

MRed set up his account on the same day Thom was suspended .... coincidence or do we know how Brennaman will be spending his downtime? In all seriousness, welcome to the site.

In all seriousness, I hope that Votto can drive the ball with more authority. His exit velocity concerns me but at least his walk and K rates seem better this year. I am glad the Reds did not move Votto 5 years ago. He was the primary reason to watch this team during the dark period of the rebuild (along with seeing Billy do silly fast things, etc) and I doubt I would be engaged with the team at all at this point if it was not for what he did through 2017.

12. Likes:

NebraskaRed (08-20-2020),westofyou (08-20-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    The most upsetting thing about Votto and his contract is that the Reds locked him up only to waste his prime years failing miserably at rebuilding and/or putting a decent team on the field.
    Not only failed. They tanked intentionally.

It never made any sense to keep him around if tanking was the plan. By Mid 2016, it was clear that there was no quick rebuild as they were hoping. It was going to be a long haul. They should have put him on the market at the deadline or that winter. I think teams would have lined up for him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-20-2020),Rojo Rijo (08-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think he's HOF worthy if he ends there, but I don't think he gets voted in unless he gets to around 350 HR and 1200 RBIs to go with all of that. 3 more years like the last 2 and that slugging percentage may not stay above .500.

- - - Updated - - -

Some contender would have paid that easy. He was the best hitter in the game.
    Sabermetrics have taken over the game and the counting stats guys currently voting are going to keep being phased out. That is very very good news for Votto's candidacy. He was the second-best player of the 2010's, only trailing the guy on pace to potentially be the greatest baseball player ever.

As to Votto's contract, nobody was taking that on after 2016. As Slyder said, you'd be getting a couple lotto tickets and still have to eat a good chunk of his salary.

He was still owed over 175 million for 2017-2023 + the 7 mil buyout in 2024.
    Last edited by Coopdaddy67; 08-20-2020 at 04:22 PM.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

(Sung to the tune of 'What do you do with a drunken sailor?')

What will we do with a Joey Votto?
    Early in the ballgame!

Way hay and the pitch's a ball
    Early in the ballgame!

Shave his belly if he drops an f-bomb
    Early in the ballgame!

Early in the ballgame!

Put him in a long boat till he swings
    Early in the morning!

Early in the ballgame!

Stick him in a scupper with a horse named nibbles
    Early in the morning!

Early in the ballgame!

Put him in the bed with cozart's donkey
    Early in the morning!

Early in the ballgame!

That's what we do with a Joey Votto
    Early in the morning!

Early in the ballgame!

Early in the ballgame!
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

17. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-20-2020),faffy42 (08-24-2020),NebraskaRed (08-20-2020),Red Raindog (08-20-2020),Rojo Rijo (08-21-2020)

Votto's bat lacks punch for sure. That's not coming back. He needs to keep getting on base, lift a few in the air (these two things he's done fine so far in 2020), but play solid defense (this he has not). His intangibles are priceless, and we're stuck with him anyway, so make the best use of what's left. The biggest problem is that the franchise continues to consider him as a primo bat in the lineup. That mindset needs to be updated.

Maybe in 1999 someone would have given a bunch of prospects for Votto, but not in 2016. You'd be on the hook for his age 40 season. Teams know better now.

20. Likes:

Crumbley (08-21-2020),EnglishRed (08-20-2020)

Votto will still be our first baseman in 2021. He won't retire, we won't DFA him, we don't have any first base prospects to replace him with and there isn't really anyone on the FA market who represents enough of an upgrade to warrant paying two $20m+ salaries for the same position. If Votto doesn't have an indian summer next season, then there are some really interesting free agent options on the market for 2022. Freddie Freeman, Carpenter etc.

yes we can replace him
    vanmeter and jankowski are the answer to everything with a soupcon of colon, and a tincture of shogu added

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    yes we can replace him
    vanmeter and jankowski are the answer to everything with a soupcon of colon, and a tincture of shogu added
    Didn't realise David Bell was a Redszone member.

24. Likes:

Bruce Berenyi (08-20-2020),mth123 (08-20-2020),NebraskaRed (08-20-2020)

Turn Off Ads?