Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do w Joey Votto

Re: What to do w Joey Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    yes we can replace him
    vanmeter and jankowski are the answer to everything with a soupcon of colon, and a tincture of shogu added
    Constantly bashing Reds bench players to death in unrelated threads definitely wasn't what we had in mind when we asked you to stop beating the Aquino topic to death in unrelated threads.

2. Likes:

Cursh14 (08-20-2020),DocRed (08-20-2020),Patrick Bateman (08-20-2020),Ron Madden (08-20-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The idea that the reds need a 1b prospect ready to go, to
    Push a negative war producing shell 1b out is hilarious.

It’s the most replaceable position on the field. You could move literally 5 guys to 1b with a acquisition.

The cardinals or cubs (or any respectable org) wouldn’t march out negative war player because of historical nostalgia. Let alone a team who has been ‘rebuilding’ for over half a decade

But I guess that’s why the reds are the worst run team In baseball and a perennial laughingstock.

But the fans here seem excited about votto, he’s gonna turn the corner!Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    And have him clog the bases?!?
    The game as it is played today in my opinion makes Joey a perfect lead off hitter. Take a walk and stand on first and wait for a home run to be hit. Stealing, hit and run, and bunting is a thing of the past. A typical inning for the Reds and I apologize ahead of time for the negativity, is a lead off walk and then stand on first while the next 3 batters strike out or fly out.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mred View Post
    This is hilarious - so amazing to hear the 2 camps.

I want votto off the team, cause they will be better without him, and for him to get his money and that's that.

No hate. But, they are worse with him on the field, and its going to continue getting worse.

How about this? I want the reds to be competitive, something they havent been in 6 years, and rarely over 25 years.

Playing a terrible player because of the money owed will only hurt the team. no one cares about vottos feelings lol

- - - Updated - - -

He's not a Hall of famer, so who cares? He deff is a Reds HOFer, right next to Dunner.
    Man...take your whopping 11 post and get outa here!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

7. Likes:

HammerTime (08-20-2020),Revering4Blue (08-21-2020),Ron Madden (08-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by sdm24 View Post
    The game as it is played today in my opinion makes Joey a perfect lead off hitter. Take a walk and stand on first and wait for a home run to be hit. Stealing, hit and run, and bunting is a thing of the past. A typical inning for the Reds and I apologize ahead of time for the negativity, is a lead off walk and then stand on first while the next 3 batters strike out or fly out.
    Sad, but true. Measuring and touting exit velocity is the worst thing that could happen to baseball. I imagine that bragging about exit velo is about to replace bragging about your contract.

The cardinals or cubs (or any respectable org) wouldn’t march out negative war player because of historical nostalgia. Let alone a team who has been ‘rebuilding’ for over half a decade
    Kris Bryant is a negative WAR player right now.

Matt Carpenter is a negative WAR player right now too.

Who knows if Votto can get back on track, but if he were to go 4-4 tonight his sabermetric stats jump up considerably. Stop getting caught up in WAR with this little sample size. Winker was presumably a negative WAR player (I don't know how to check on that) for a long time until the past 2.5 weeks happened.
    Last edited by Coopdaddy67; 08-20-2020 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    Personally, I would not DFA Votto as I don't think moving Moose/Saurez to 1B really solves much as the hole left at 2b/3b would be pretty big IMO. And Davidson I am not sure would be a much better 1B than Votto. But the lessons I'd learn are:

1. Votto doesn't deserve to hit in the middle of the batting order based upon reputation. So let's not manage around Joey's ego and his place in Red's history. If we feel we have better hitters at the 1-5 spot...then Joey needs to move down in order or just put him leadoff and see if his OBP holds up enough to be reasonable.
    2. Please...don't ever do another long term deal. The Larkin, Griffey and now Votto deals kill payroll in the end and inhibit us to pay guys that can actually be star power dudes. We are going to lose 1-2 starting players next year because we can't pay them due to Joey's nice 25M contract sitting here playing bad defense at 1b and hitting for crap average with zilch power numbers. That ain't close to worth 25M and we get to enjoy this for 3 more years.

We need a front office that thinks like the Oakland As and keeps guys for value contracts and doesnt' do this nonsense of paying for "star" power...whatever that means to begin with.
    I think it's crazy to say Votto's deal "killed" payroll. The last few years have shown that Votto's deal hasn't kept the Reds from signing players who they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-21-2020)

Junkhead/Bresser
    What would you say.....ya do here?

13. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-20-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Junkhead/Bresser
    There's been way too many variations for me to remember who's who, but Bresser or not, this was definitely a previously banned user.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Some contender would have paid that easy. He was the best hitter in the game.
    BuT hE wAs OnE oF tHe BeSt HiTtErS iN bAsEball. Go back to your MLB The Show or RBI Baseball League where you can make ridiculous trades like Votto, some filler for Mike Trout circa 2016 and feel smart.

Who was still on the wrong side of 30 (he was 33 in 2017). Teams aren't overpaying for previous successes any more, we'd be lucky to get a Homer package for him even then. No amount of magic dust and wishing would make teams take his contract unless the Reds wanted to pay him to play somewhere else.

We knew this would happen with the deal, I was hoping Votto wouldn't fall off the side of the mountain like he did but he's still one of the smartest hitters in the sport maybe see if he can help the next generation by being a pseudo player coach.
    Last edited by Slyder; 08-20-2020 at 08:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

The idea that the reds need a 1b prospect ready to go, to
    Push a negative war producing shell 1b out is hilarious.

It’s the most replaceable position on the field. You could move literally 5 guys to 1b with a acquisition.

But I guess that’s why the reds are the worst run team In baseball and a perennial laughingstock.

But the fans here seem excited about votto, he’s gonna turn the corner!Lol

Ernie Banks...
    Ryne Sandberg...
    Aaron Miles...
    Jhonny Peralta...
    Willie McGee...
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

He’d be dfa. So who cares where he went? Lol

Reds must be the first team in the history of sports to have to replace a bad player I guess

Name:  F8FD4D9B-A09D-4201-B380-1482121A793D.jpeg
Views: 324
Size:  70.1 KB

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-21-2020),Slyder (08-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Junkhead/Bresser
    I always nail this.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-21-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-20-2020)

Ignoring the junk in this thread...sometimes I do wonder what the Reds are thinking about the Votto succession plan. Suarez to first for the end of his contract and India at third?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Ignoring the junk in this thread...sometimes I do wonder what the Reds are thinking about the Votto succession plan. Suarez to first for the end of his contract and India at third?
    Get Winker the 1B globe.
    Go Gators!

23. Likes:

Crosley58 (09-06-2020),Revering4Blue (08-21-2020)

Turn Off Ads?