Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do w Joey Votto

Re: What to do w Joey Votto

Every time I see one of these Votto threads I feel like I'm in the movie "Groundhog Day"! LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

NebraskaRed (08-22-2020),RedsBaron (08-22-2020),Revering4Blue (08-22-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Joey needs to be moved to DH and get him off the field. (the DH is not going away in the NL)

Joey's deal was a great deal for 5 or 6 years, but not 10, thats where the Reds screwed up, on purpose in my opinion as this ownership really doesn't want to win.
    Perhaps they should have signed him for 1 year at $5M with a series of 12 one year team options at the same amount?

Why didn’t they think of that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (08-22-2020)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    this ownership hasnt done anything to show they want to win have they?
    dont.......feeeeeeeed......the.....troll....must .....resist!!!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

7. Likes:

HammerTime (08-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SacFly View Post
    I would say one thing to Votto. STOP using the worlds worst baseball swing that you have been using for over 2 years and have not been successful with it. His swing looks like if a T-Rex played baseball. If he swung like this in High School he never would have been drafted. He still has enough power and bat speed but it is not going to happen with that swing. He has mentioned how much he hates striking out, the way he now approaches his AB it appears his only goal is not striking out. I know he felt they all began busting him inside. So he made this adjustment. Problem now is he can't hit any pitches that are not inside. and for the most part he can't hit inside pitches either. He has always waited to swing to see the pitch as long as he could. He still has enough bat speed but not enough to continue to wait as long as he previously did. He still seems to be doing that and now he is swinging and missing on pitches he used to crush because he too late.
    Thank you! Someone with some authority should tell him point blank that his adjustments experiments are not only hurting him but, they are hurting the team. That ridiculous looking Cricket style practice swing he uses between pitches is training himself to swing, as you so eloquently stated, "like if a T-Rex played baseball." And what's with the super crouch? The choking up? Not helping either. Joey didn't come into MLB and become a production machine with that style. Surely he has seen videos of when he stood taller, slightly bent knees, bat higher and farther back, arms extended when he swings and driving the hell out of the ball. He seems to be overthinking and overcompensating trying to avoid striking out but, at the same time cannot admit to himself that his present approach is not working.

Sometimes it's hard for people to admit to themselves that the way they're doing something may not be the right or most effective approach. That's where hitting coach, Alan Zinter should step in. It's his job to notice and do something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedForLife View Post
    Thank you! Someone with some authority should tell him point blank that his adjustments experiments are not only hurting him but, they are hurting the team. That ridiculous looking Cricket style practice swing he uses between pitches is training himself to swing, as you so eloquently stated, "like if a T-Rex played baseball." And what's with the super crouch? The choking up? Not helping either. Joey didn't come into MLB and become a production machine with that style. Surely he has seen videos of when he stood taller, slightly bent knees, bat higher and farther back, arms extended when he swings and driving the hell out of the ball. He seems to be overthinking and overcompensating trying to avoid striking out but, at the same time cannot admit to himself that his present approach is not working.

Sometimes it's hard for people to admit to themselves that the way they're doing something may not be the right or most effective approach. That's where hitting coach, Alan Zinter should step in. It's his job to notice and do something about it.
    Joey Votto is not the same Joey Votto that came up in 2007. 13 years ago!

I don't think that I understand hitting better than Votto. Why do you think that you do?

10. Likes:

GAC (08-23-2020),westofyou (08-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Joey Votto is not the same Joey Votto that came up in 2007. 13 years ago!

I don't think that I understand hitting better than Votto. Why do you think that you do?
    Observation, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by RedForLife View Post
    Observation, maybe?
    Perhaps write him a letter with your observations?

I know it's unfortunate Votto doesn't mash like he did in 2010, but he's 36. I don't know why he does the little quirky warm up swing, but I trust the most meticulous and studious hitter since Ted Williams to find an approach that prolongs his productivity in his mid-30s.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

13. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (08-22-2020)

I'm hoping they sit him today. We're facing a lefty and he's hitting .188 so far against lefties.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I don't pretend to know what the results would look like. But what I'd give to watch Votto spend a season trying to murder the ball, relying on his well-honed eye to keep up a solid contact rate, instead of playing the game of 'don't-let-the-ball-touch-the-strike-zone'.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

16. Likes:

Boss-Hog (08-22-2020),Bunting Bad (08-22-2020),Edd Roush (08-22-2020),Gunner44 (08-22-2020),redhawkfish (08-22-2020),Ron Madden (08-22-2020),Tony Cloninger (08-22-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-22-2020)

I believe Votto understands the art of hitting more than most. In his prime it looked like his bat was an extension of his mind. I think his skills have diminished and he is trying to adapt to those skills. He is a proud guy. When he said if he couldn't a productive player he would walk away, i believed him.

On the other hand he would be foolish to walk away from money that he has earned. A decision has to be made because right now, by playing every day, he is hurting the teams chances to win. Whatever decision that is, i hope it is handled in the most respectful way possible. The Reds absolutely wasted Votto's prime with the teams they put around him.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunting Bad View Post
    When he said if he couldn't a productive player he would walk away, i believed him.
    IMO, there is no way he'll walk away from the money, no matter how much his productivity plummets. He basically implied as much in an interview with Day.

He's on the team and probably the starting 1B or DH at least through 2023. Because I don't see the Reds paying him off to (pay to) play someone else in his place.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

19. Likes:

Bunting Bad (08-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Perhaps write him a letter with your observations?

I know it's unfortunate Votto doesn't mash like he did in 2010, but he's 36. I don't know why he does the little quirky warm up swing, but I trust the most meticulous and studious hitter since Ted Williams to find an approach that prolongs his productivity in his mid-30s.
    Joey Votto is no Ted Williams right now, nor was he ever. Ted concentrated on making contact on a good pitch and hitting it hard. Votto could do that to some extent when he was young just out of raw talent, but now as he has aged, he can’t compensate. He has tried with that silly stance and choppy swing, but if you watch videos of Ted, he had that long beautiful swing right up until his last game. He could still hit right up until the end, but the rest of his body couldn’t keep up. I know people like to call Votto very cerebral and a student of hitting, but I don’t see it. He declined just as fast as many other players have.

Renegotiate his contract.
    Trade him.
    Coach him and he adjusts to the game.
    He coaches himself and gets better on his own.
    He retires.

Seems simple to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Joey Votto is no Ted Williams right now, nor was he ever. Ted concentrated on making contact on a good pitch and hitting it hard. Votto could do that to some extent when he was young just out of raw talent, but now as he has aged, he can’t compensate. He has tried with that silly stance and choppy swing, but if you watch videos of Ted, he had that long beautiful swing right up until his last game. He could still hit right up until the end, but the rest of his body couldn’t keep up. I know people like to call Votto very cerebral and a student of hitting, but I don’t see it. He declined just as fast as many other players have.
    The people who call him that are his peers, opposing managers, and the pitchers he's faced. I'll go with what they've experienced.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

23. Likes:

GullyFoyle (08-22-2020)

.356 OBP is still helping the team.

25. Likes:

GullyFoyle (08-22-2020),NebraskaRed (08-22-2020),Ron Madden (08-22-2020)

Turn Off Ads?