Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142

Thread: Reds @ St. Louis 8-20-20

Re: Reds @ St. Louis 8-20-20

Hate to tell Bell the cardinals weren’t done scoring so we may have needed a lot more runs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama Red View Post
    Hate to tell Bell the cardinals weren’t done scoring so we may have needed a lot more runs.
    Bell specifically asked Suarez to get a hit in the 9th. He didn't listen.

When Suarez starts hitting, this team gets substantially better. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that day will come.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Well...could be worse. The Phillies blew a 7-0 lead and lost 8-7 to lose both games of their DH.
    Living in Eastern Ontario, the Blue Jays are the daily serving......I watched the first game......Biggio with a key hit in the ninth......as for the second game....I had to snooze......but came back for the ninth with the Blue Jays ahead by two.

Suarez earns all exemptions because of the contract. His average is far below adequate but he must be played because of the contract.

VanMeter is a joke.......the numerator will always a positive number (he did have a hit) but the denominator grows with no increase in the numerator. Start him tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Umkubas View Post
    Suarez earns all exemptions because of the contract. His average is far below adequate but he must be played because of the contract.
    He's not playing because of his contract. He's playing because he's supposed to be the best offensive player in the Reds lineup and they're hoping he comes out of his funk every time he steps to the plate.

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-21-2020)

By my count the Reds have been tied or leading after six innings in 14 out of the 23 games this year. I’m beyond frustrated with Bell and the bullpen.

8. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (08-21-2020),REDREAD (08-21-2020)

Apathy...I guess it’s the best way to describe it. I thought the off-season pickups were a good start, but felt like they had needs in the bullpen, an every day catcher and top flight shortstop that didn’t get addressed. This team relies to heavily on the home run, lacks a true lead off hitter, defensively is not strong enough and being managed by the next coming of Bob Boone. The minor leagues have a handful of interesting talents, but we really should be seeing some prospects knocking on the door based on drafting at the top the last 5-6 years. The Cubs and Astros put on a clinic for maximizing your train wreck years. We don’t have a single prospect that can rival those two organizations output. We have gotten so little out of the trades that have been made that I have to believe other GM’s must be smiling like the Cheshire Cat when we call expressing interest in making a deal. This year has just been pure disappointment from game #2 to today’s debacle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-21-2020),HammerTime (08-21-2020),Jomama (08-21-2020),REDREAD (08-21-2020)

The people saying Sims should be the closer or someone else should be the closer are ignoring more than half of the problem. We lost this game because David Bell has a designated closer, and managed the game to get to the closer instead of just pitching his best people. Sims is a long man. Perfectly capable of going three innings.

He was dealing out there. They weren't touching him. But instead of letting him stay in the game, Bell followed a defined pattern to get to his closer.

Take out a guy who is cruising for no reason, then replace him with a guy to get one out against a lefty (which he did), then replace him for no reason, even though 2 of 3 scheduled hitters in the next inning were lefties.

Instead of just letting Sims complete the game. And having a guy ready in case he started becoming ineffective.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

12. Likes:

forfreelin04 (08-21-2020),HammerTime (08-21-2020),Ironman92 (08-21-2020),Jomama (08-21-2020),Rantly (08-21-2020),REDREAD (08-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The people saying Sims should be the closer or someone else should be the closer are ignoring more than half of the problem. We lost this game because David Bell has a designated closer, and managed the game to get to the closer instead of just pitching his best people. Sims is a long man. Perfectly capable of going three innings.

He was dealing out there. They weren't touching him. But instead of letting him stay in the game, Bell followed a defined pattern to get to his closer.

Take out a guy who is cruising for no reason, then replace him with a guy to get one out against a lefty (which he did), then replace him for no reason, even though 2 of 3 scheduled hitters in the next inning were lefties.

Instead of just letting Sims complete the game. And having a guy ready in case he started becoming ineffective.
    I don't think many managers would leave Sims in there to pitch all three innings. And even though Sims, like many relievers, has started in the past he is not stretched out as a long man like Mahle is.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't think many managers would leave Sims in there to pitch all three innings. And even though Sims, like many relievers, has started in the past he is not stretched out as a long man like Mahle is.
    I know it isn't exactly what Jax suggested, but I wondered before the ninth about letting Sims finish the eighth and Garrett close things out against primarily lefties.

15. Likes:

757690 (08-21-2020),Ironman92 (08-21-2020),REDREAD (08-21-2020),Revering4Blue (08-21-2020),Tom Servo (08-21-2020)

If a pitcher is obtaining outs it is nonsensical to remove that pitcher,, since when did this become a reasonable course of action

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

Your post speaks to the complexity of the situation related to the disaster that is the Reds bullpen and Bell as a manager, but there is worth in the simplistic eye-test opinion that the current closer can't get the job done. Thus, suggesting Sims for closer is fair.

Turn Off Ads?