Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

Neymar should have five goals right now. He has none. PSG still has its nose in front because of away goals, but Neymar's wastefulness is killing them.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

PSG and Chelsea through to the semis of the CL. No repeat winner this year.

4. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (04-14-2021)

Side note on Champions League broadcasting: I didn't think it was possible for CBS Sports to be worse than the TNT-B/R partnership, but they are. They didn't air a single live game this week on their regular channel. They had last year's finalists playing yesterday. Madrid plays Liverpool today, and the EPL leaders Man City are also in action. The Madrid-Liverpool contest will run at 9 p.m. Instead they're running today's super compelling installment of Tiki & Tierney. They aren't even airing CL studio shows where they break in on the action or wrap up the day's events. You've got to subscribe to Paramount+ to see the games. Well, or you can just use the hack of watching them on Univision, which is supposedly what most people are doing.

When they've aired broadcasts, they've been fairly good, but they are strangling the product in the U.S. market in order to run a streaming service ponzi scheme. My only hope is CBS is taking a bath on this.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    PSG and Chelsea through to the semis of the CL. No repeat winner this year.

I want PSG to win so Dembele will want to stay and win at PSG instead of trying to do it at Real. That club is so self entitled to everything that they think it’s a given that he goes there. You can win at PSG. They have the resources. It’s Paris. I know the mentality of a footballer though in Europe is to play for RM however. I just get tired of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I want PSG to win so Dembele will want to stay and win at PSG instead of trying to do it at Real. That club is so self entitled to everything that they think it’s a given that he goes there. You can win at PSG. They have the resources. It’s Paris. I know the mentality of a footballer though in Europe is to play for RM however. I just get tired of it.
    I think you mean Mbappe. Honestly, I don't think it matters whether PSG wins or loses. He grew up a massive Cristiano Ronaldo fan and he wants to play for Zidane. Also, having watched some PSG games this season, he doesn't hide his frustration during games with Neymar. Really seems like a matter of whether Madrid and PSG can agree on a price and a payment schedule. If they can't, I assume he's going to somewhere in England, probably ManU. PSG isn't going to risk riding out the final year of his contract and losing him for nothing.

I think you mean Mbappe. Honestly, I don't think it matters whether PSG wins or loses. He grew up a massive Cristiano Ronaldo fan and he wants to play for Zidane. Also, having watched some PSG games this season, he doesn't hide his frustration during games with Neymar. Really seems like a matter of whether Madrid and PSG can agree on a price and a payment schedule. If they can't, I assume he's going to somewhere in England, probably ManU. PSG isn't going to risk riding out the final year of his contract and losing him for nothing.
    Right. Dembele is with Barcelona and injury prone.

Yes EPL can afford it more. RM would have to give up players.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Right. Dembele is with Barcelona and injury prone.

Yes EPL can afford it more. RM would have to give up players.
    As I understand it, Madrid will look to buy players on installment plans so they leverage expected revenues from their new stadium, which opens at the start of this next season. They're also going to sell a few players (and cross their fingers someone will loan out Gareth Bale and Eden Hazard). Sounds like Mbappe, Camavinga and Alaba is Plan A.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

No surprises today, Real and Man City deservedly through to the semifinals. Liverpool performed much better today relative to last week's slop show, but couldn't find the back of the net. Indicative of how things have been since Christmas, really. Can't finish = can't win.

But the next several weeks should be fun. Seven EPL games left and teams 3-6 in the table are separated by four points, Tottenham and Everton still in range also. Yes, please.
    Last edited by IslandRed; 04-14-2021 at 05:23 PM.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

11. Likes:

M2 (04-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    No surprises today, Real and Man City deservedly through to the semifinals. Liverpool performed much better today relative to last week's slop show, but couldn't find the back of the net. Indicative of how things have been since Christmas, really. Can't finish = can't win.

But the next several weeks should be fun. Seven EPL games left and teams 3-6 in the table are separated by four points, Tottenham and Everton still in range also. Yes, please.
    Also can't say enough nice things about the defense of Eder Militao and Nacho Fernandez.

On the Liverpool side, it was both the good and bad of Firmino on display. He did a ton of work, but when the chances fell to him he didn't pose a lot of danger.

So what are the chances this European Super League actually happens?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    So what are the chances this European Super League actually happens?
    I'm hoping zero. If FIFA holds to banning anyone who plays in it from international play, then I don't see how it's supposed to work. Like, if you can't play for Italy, who's going to Juve and the Milan clubs? Same for the English and Spanish club. On top of everything else, I think this league would destroy the traditions built by the clubs who join. Kind of erases everything they've done because it's like they don't value it.

15. Likes:

Chip R (04-19-2021),dabvu2498 (04-18-2021),schmidty622 (04-19-2021)

I'm hoping zero. If FIFA holds to banning anyone who plays in it from international play, then I don't see how it's supposed to work. Like, if you can't play for Italy, who's going to Juve and the Milan clubs? Same for the English and Spanish club. On top of everything else, I think this league would destroy the traditions built by the clubs who join. Kind of erases everything they've done because it's like they don't value it.
    3 of the 4 teams left in the UCL Semis don't value the competition (they sure as hell value the money they get from it). UEFA should just award it to PSG for this season and ban the teams involved in this going forward. They probably can't because they're also just about money and sponsorship but they need to make some sort of stand.

Small potatoes but our Liverpool group is advising people of the dates for the club's Official Membership renewal this year in case they want to cancel the auto renewal. I suspect that is happening in groups all across the world for these clubs. Who cares though... we're just legacy fans.
    Last edited by schmidty622; 04-19-2021 at 09:31 AM.

17. Likes:

M2 (04-19-2021)

Such a stupid idea. Hopefully it’s just a massive negotiation tool to get more money from UEFA.

19. Likes:

Betterread (04-19-2021)

If they actually say they won’t allow players to play in the World Cup would players demand their release from these clubs?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

This is what can happen when you have owners from the US who don’t really like soccer. Definitely big money owners from anywhere who only buy a club because they can.

You can make a super league. They play each other 2x. Then the bottom 4 get relegated back to their leagues. The winners of the EPL. La Liga. Italy and Germany go up. If it’s 2 teams from the same league then 2 from that league go up? But then you leave out good teams from France. Portugal. Porto and Benfica. You leave out Ajax. Who I realize are like Monaco. Selling everyone off and turning to crap.

Do you never relegate then? Since it’s about big money teams only.

Turn Off Ads?