Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

2020-21 Euro soccer thread

The new season has started. They're playing league games in France (watch Eduardo Camavinga on Rennes if you want to see the newest superman) and Scotland.

Thiago Silva just joined Chelsea on a free transfer - https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-t...-free-transfer. That club is loading up.

Weston McKennie is finalizing a loan transfer to Juve - https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-t...-juventus-move. That's an important development for U.S. soccer if he gets a regular run with that team.

And supposedly Man City and Leo Messi have agreed to personal terms - https://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2...l-terms-report.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

Scottish Prem now on ESPN+. My father-in-law is the happiest man in America today. He’s done a lot of law-breaking to watch Hibs over the years.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

4. Likes:

schmidty622 (08-28-2020),ScotlandRed (08-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Scottish Prem now on ESPN+. My father-in-law is the happiest man in America today. He’s done a lot of law-breaking to watch Hibs over the years.
    Speaking as a Hibs fan, it probably wasn’t worth the risk.

6. Likes:

dabvu2498 (08-31-2020),M2 (08-28-2020),schmidty622 (08-28-2020)

I don't really get the Thiago Silva deal. I get that it's a free, but a 35 year old, under 6 foot, CB? My buddy suggested that maybe Silva's agent has first rights on one for the future that Chelsea has their eyes on? Agent gets a nice payday, Chelsea get first dibs on a future signing? I guess that's plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    I don't really get the Thiago Silva deal. I get that it's a free, but a 35 year old, under 6 foot, CB? My buddy suggested that maybe Silva's agent has first rights on one for the future that Chelsea has their eyes on? Agent gets a nice payday, Chelsea get first dibs on a future signing? I guess that's plausible.
    I think it’s a good deal for Chelsea. They’ve been crying out for an experienced CB to nurture the kids through. If he can provide help to Sarr, Zouma, Tomori and Christensen it will be worth it. May not play every game but seems in good condition and a quality player.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    I think it’s a good deal for Chelsea. They’ve been crying out for an experienced CB to nurture the kids through. If he can provide help to Sarr, Zouma, Tomori and Christensen it will be worth it. May not play every game but seems in good condition and a quality player.
    I suppose. I'd just be worried that the leadership qualities are going to be undercut by the decline due to age.

As a side bar I think Zouma and Christensen are not top 6 defenders. Sarr and Tomori have potential, but Chelsea should keep Rudiger and maybe move Azpi to full time CB.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    I suppose. I'd just be worried that the leadership qualities are going to be undercut by the decline due to age.

As a side bar I think Zouma and Christensen are not top 6 defenders. Sarr and Tomori have potential, but Chelsea should keep Rudiger and maybe move Azpi to full time CB.
    Zouma I still have hope for he was pretty good after the break. I do agree with Christensen.

I think Azoi will see a lot less game time as Lampard tries to phase him out and move on with James and Chilwell.

Will be interesting to see McKennie with Juve. Seems like that’s a bit over his head to me.
    Last edited by MWM; 08-29-2020 at 03:20 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Will be interesting to see McKennie with June. Seems like that’s a bit over his head to me.
    Yeah, it all hinges on whether he plays. Hopefully he's going there because Pirlo really likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Yeah, it all hinges on whether he plays. Hopefully he's going there because Pirlo really likes him.
    Pirlo one of my favorite all time players. If I could be a soccer player, that’s who I’d want to be.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Messi now says he's staying in Barcelona for the next season to avoid a legal dispute and that the club management is a disaster. And their team President just got arrested on corruption charges. There's going to be so much drama with that team this season.

I'm a fan of the UEFA League of Nations. Among other things, we finally get to sort out who's the worst out of San Marino, Andorra, Gibraltar, Malta, Liechtenstein and the Faeroe Islands (it's got to be San Marino).

I'm marking out for Portugal's new kit.

And with two goals against Ukraine, Sergio Ramos just passed Daniel Passarella as the top scoring defender in international football history (23 goals).

16. Likes:

MWM (09-06-2020)

Cristiano Ronaldo scored his 100th international goal on a free kick. He's only nine back of the all-time record of Iran's Ali Daei.

Update: And now he's at 101.
    Last edited by M2; 09-08-2020 at 04:20 PM.

Ferland Mendy (Real Madrid) and Dayot Upamecano (Leipzig) were standouts in today’s Nation’s league match France v Croatia. They are players to watch for in the future. Very physical with a very fast pace of play.

19. Likes:

M2 (09-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Ferland Mendy (Real Madrid) and Dayot Upamecano (Leipzig) were standouts in today’s Nation’s league match France v Croatia. They are players to watch for in the future. Very physical with a very fast pace of play.
    Madrid has Mendy, Marcelo and Reguilon at left back. It's an embarrassment of riches. As you noted, Mendy has some torrid pace. Love that guy.

Turn Off Ads?