Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

Jose has a new job at AS Roma. The Friedkins are owners. Will they allow him to spend money in players that will suit his system?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Jose has a new job at AS Roma. The Friedkins are owners. Will they allow him to spend money in players that will suit his system?
    I’m always amazed at the soccer coach carousel. All sports have them, but soccer has never found a failed manager that can’t almost immediately get another job.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

So, Leicester and Liverpool both beat United, Chelsea loses to Arsenal... and next up, Chelsea hosts Leicester. Extra hot sauce for those last two spots. Liverpool has a game in hand and is almost certain (but not guaranteed) to get in if it wins out, but could still sneak in if either of the other two clubs can't put up a W in the last two. Chelsea beating Leicester is the worst scenario for Liverpool math-wise because it could potentially force them to beat out Leicester on goal differential.

(Assuming I'm reading the table correctly, never mind if I'm not)
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

That Alisson header... might be a season saver.

6. Likes:

IslandRed (05-17-2021),M2 (05-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    That Alisson header... might be a season saver.
    That was amazing. Given that at least one of Chelsea and Leister are dropping points on Tuesday, it puts Liverpool in position to grab that #4 slot.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

IslandRed (05-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That was amazing. Given that at least one of Chelsea and Leister are dropping points on Tuesday, it puts Liverpool in position to grab that #4 slot.
    Yup... there is still some hope!

Alisson seems like a stand up guy too. Gave one of the better PL interviews I've seen in awhile. I had read that his dad had passed in an accident while swimming but didn't put 2+2 together that he couldn't travel home to mourn with his family. He mentioned letters he's gotten from around the Prem as being very helpful in his healing and said something along the lines of 'God shows us love through people'... while I don't share his religious leanings I would cosign the sentiment.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

And in the alternate history where Alisson's header doesn't happen but everything else stays the same, Liverpool finishes third anyway. Of course, no one was really expecting both Chelsea and Leicester to lose on the final day.

Otherwise in Europe, it was a good year for those who get bored seeing the same team or two finish at the top every year. Congrats to Inter, Atletico and Lille. Now, if we could just find somebody to take a bite out of Bayern...
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

11. Likes:

schmidty622 (05-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    And in the alternate history where Alisson's header doesn't happen but everything else stays the same, Liverpool finishes third anyway. Of course, no one was really expecting both Chelsea and Leicester to lose on the final day.

Otherwise in Europe, it was a good year for those who get bored seeing the same team or two finish at the top every year. Congrats to Inter, Atletico and Lille. Now, if we could just find somebody to take a bite out of Bayern...
    Gotta feel for The Brodge. Winning the FA Cup is a great achievement but had he topped it with a UCL bid it would have been so big for Leicester. With the way they identify talent, that extra bit in the purse could have seen them churn the roster in a much bigger way.

13. Likes:

IslandRed (05-25-2021),M2 (05-24-2021)

It's now 16 consecutive wins and 20 years since a Spanish club lost a European cup final to a non-Spanish club. Went 11 rounds of penalties and Villareal wins its first major trophy. Decided by a keeper-on-keeper save.

Huge win for Villareal, which will play in the Champions League next year thanks to this win.

15. Likes:

Betterread (05-26-2021)

We all live in a yellow submarine. Congratulations Villarreal.

17. Likes:

M2 (05-26-2021)

Good Ebening indeed!

The managers of the league champs in Germany, Italy and France are all leaving their clubs, which is kind of shocking.

Also, it's blowing y mind that Gianluigi Donnaruma is leaving AC Milan. I really expected him to be there for his whole career.

There will be a lot of changes to Real Madrid’s aging roster this offseason. I will be surprised if both Kroos and Modric both return, even though they are still at the top of their game - Modric is 35!
    Ramos, Hazard, Jovic, Isco, Ramos, Marcelo, Odegaard, Bale could all leave.
    With the big Alaba signing, does that mean Varane is gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    There will be a lot of changes to Real Madrid’s aging roster this offseason. I will be surprised if both Kroos and Modric both return, even though they are still at the top of their game - Modric is 35!
    Ramos, Hazard, Jovic, Isco, Ramos, Marcelo, Odegaard, Bale could all leave.
    With the big Alaba signing, does that mean Varane is gone?
    Modric just signed a contract extension for another year. There's talk Bale could retire after the Euros. If there's a taker for Hazard, he's gone. And, yes, Varane seems highly likely to be sold. I still think rumors of Ramos leaving are puppet theater. If Varane is going, the new manager will want Sergio to help lock down the back line. David Alaba, who just signed, is more of a multi-position floater.

Mind you, a lot of what they do will hinge on how hard UEFA lowers the boom on them for the Super League fiasco.

Chelsea wins the Champions League. City's sure thing did not come through. Also, 10 years since Pep hoisted the trophy.

Turn Off Ads?