Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I agree with your main point, but right now Klopp is not tactically strategic. I know that Liverpool’s strength is in their attacking talent, but with all the injuries, it is clear they should bunker down and play for the counter. Salah has been a counter attacking demon with his speed and Mane is not bad either. I watched, and turned off the derby because watching Liverpool try to break down Everton unsuccessfully over and over was the definition of stubbornness.
    This too... It's pretty frustrating to see zero change in tactics. People I watch with are clamoring for a 4-2-3-1 but I dunno how much that does (Liverpool already basically play a 2-3-5 in attack). Like you point out I'd rather see the mentality go back to counter attacking. Hard to strangle a team to death when Virg and Gomez aint back there to ail you out.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I agree with your main point, but right now Klopp is not tactically strategic. I know that Liverpool’s strength is in their attacking talent, but with all the injuries, it is clear they should bunker down and play for the counter. Salah has been a counter attacking demon with his speed and Mane is not bad either. I watched, and turned off the derby because watching Liverpool try to break down Everton unsuccessfully over and over was the definition of stubbornness.
    I've been thinking about this and I'm wondering if maybe he's got his tactics right. Liverpool's front three are the part of their team that's healthy. They can set a mid block and demand Salah and Mane to do more defensive back tracking, but are they going to be any good at that? I'm not sure Klopp's got the personnel to give him effective defense, so it makes the most sense to play to his remaining strength. It's kind of like a serve-and-volley player in tennis. It's higher risk, but you're going to get worn down trying to play on the baseline.

The other thing that fascinates me about Liverpool this season is how important the central defense is to the offense. They don't have CDs making those crucial plays to keep the other team pinned in their own half and they don't have CDs who can break lines with their passing. It translates to fewer opportunities and less space to operate for the attackers. It's changed their whole speed of play. We tend to focus on the goal prevention side of things, but the loss of Gomez and especially van Dijk has blunted their offense as well. A lot of what gets created in this game starts in the back.
    Last edited by M2; 02-22-2021 at 10:43 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Naby Keita is a big miss statistically but they do need to try something different.

Almost see if taking a leaf out of Mourinho book and sit and counter. Treat Bobby like Kane and have the other 2 play like Son.

Its a dice roll every time but break up merchants in the middle and play thru bobby could work. leave FB's to defend if youre weak back there.

5. Likes:

schmidty622 (02-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffawed View Post
    Naby Keita is a big miss statistically but they do need to try something different.

Almost see if taking a leaf out of Mourinho book and sit and counter. Treat Bobby like Kane and have the other 2 play like Son.

Its a dice roll every time but break up merchants in the middle and play thru bobby could work. leave FB's to defend if youre weak back there.
    Except Firmino doesn't score a whole lot. If they pin everybody else back, they might have a fairly toothless attack. I'm just not convinced they can Sam Allardyce their way into a Champions League slot.
    Last edited by M2; 02-22-2021 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Except Firmino doesn't score a whole lot. If they pin everybody else back, they might have a fairly toothless attack. I'm just not convinced they an Sam Allardyce their way into a Champions League slot.
    They are toothless now... might as well throw everything at the wall and see if anything sticks.

8. Likes:

Betterread (02-23-2021)

And Marcos Llorente and Joao Felix have provided all sorts of danger around Suarez too. With Madrid's recent stumble it looks like smooth sailing for Atletico. Will be interesting to see how the Colchoneros do against Chelsea in the CL. Technically, this should be their year.
    They didn’t do enough. A well played match. Chelsea deserved a 0-1 win. Both sides played crisp passes around, but the defenses stayed organized. Chelsea played as well as I have seen this year.
    Giroud scored a wonderful overhead goal.
    Suarez and Werner each performed some pathetic dives.
    Llorente is a classy player.
    I liked Mount over Behar.
    Joao Felix seemed disinterested.

They didn’t do enough. A well played match. Chelsea deserved a 0-1 win. Both sides played crisp passes around, but the defenses stayed organized. Chelsea played as well as I have seen this year.
    Giroud scored a wonderful overhead goal.
    Suarez and Werner each performed some pathetic dives.
    Llorente is a classy player.
    I liked Mount over Behar.
    Joao Felix seemed disinterested.
    Joao definitely has slipped from his early form. Didn't see today's game, but were they playing Llorente as a wing back again? He can play all over the place (one of his strengths), but it takes away an essential part of their attack.

11. Likes:

Betterread (02-23-2021)

Joao definitely has slipped from his early form. Didn't see today's game, but were they playing Llorente as a wing back again? He can play all over the place (one of his strengths), but it takes away an essential part of their attack.
    Yes, Llorente played right back. They played through Correa on the right. Felix was the playmaker in the center of the field, and he showed a lot of skill but Chelsea fouled him everytime he beat his man off the dribble.

Yes, Llorente played right back. They played through Correa on the right. Felix was the playmaker in the center of the field, and he showed a lot of skill but Chelsea fouled him everytime he beat his man off the dribble.
    Good plan by Chelsea. Correa isn't much of a creator. Give Llorente the ball in those areas and he's liable to do something special at some point. Just looking at some coverage of the game, sounds like Kovacic played well for Chelsea.

There has been very little joy in being an Arsenal fan this year...but that was awesome!

15. Likes:

M2 (02-25-2021)

ManU and Chelsea tied 0-0. This is the third scoreless draw Manu has had in the last seven other two were against Liverpool and the Gooners.
    What a total uncreative, unskilled boring match from the British giants(2nd in the league) - again.
    The premier league suffers when the class of the league repeatedly plays like this. Shaw and Maguire spent the whole game playing undecisively back to the fullbacks and when they tried to pass incisively, consistently gave it away. And dribbling? Neither one shows any skill in that area. But they do know how to foul, and they have figured out that the Refs indulge ManU so they can foul all game and get called for about 5-10 fouls a game. And Fred? Another butcher. He has worst technical ability I have seen in a champions league club Brazilian player.
    Rashford got no service because James consistently tried and failed through the defense, ignoring his teammates.

Rangers won the Scottish league today and haven’t lost a game all season. Pretty wild considering what happened to that club.

Fulham steal three points at Anfield. Have to think the Cottagers are showing enough quality and determination to stay up. And Liverpool? Does Klopp survive yet another home defeat?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Fulham steal three points at Anfield. Have to think the Cottagers are showing enough quality and determination to stay up. And Liverpool? Does Klopp survive yet another home defeat?
    Is he really in trouble? There issues are pretty obviously injury related. I can’t believe they’d be dumb enough to fire him.

20. Likes:

Betterread (03-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Klopp's probably not in any danger until after they're out of the Champions League. Yet Liverpool's chances finishing top four are getting remote. They could be in 9th when everyone gets level with them on games. It's probably CL or bust for them. Quick question for anyone who watched the game, was Salah as bad as what I'm reading?

Meanwhile, Chelsea vs. Everton tomorrow is all kinds of high stakes.

Turn Off Ads?