Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

Spurs trying to defend their way to some silverware. There have been some bad games between some of the big EPL clubs this year. Today and the recent Liverpool-Man City game come to mind.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Likes:

Betterread (11-29-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Spurs trying to defend their way to some silverware. There have been some bad games between some of the big EPL clubs this year. Today and the recent Liverpool-Man City game come to mind.
    If you are referring to Chelsea : Tottenham today, I thoroughly agree. I think this is the way Jose likes to approach key matches and it is ugly football. The best talent wasted on tactical, pragmatic football.
    I wish they would let Deli Alli go somewhere where he can play.

5. Likes:

M2 (11-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    If you are referring to Chelsea : Tottenham today, I thoroughly agree. I think this is the way Jose likes to approach key matches and it is ugly football. The best talent wasted on tactical, pragmatic football.
    I wish they would let Deli Alli go somewhere where he can play.
    Mou makes the game dreadful. Most cynical manager on the planet.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I actively root against Barcelona, but Leo Messi's goal scoring tribute to Diego Maradona was pretty awesome - https://sports.yahoo.com/lionel-mess...153232600.html.

8. Likes:

MWM (12-01-2020)

Just finished watching "The Empire Strikes Back".

Scratch that, turns out I just finished watching Real Madrid beat league leaders Atletico Madrid.

The EPL is fascinating. Tottenham and Liverpool share a lead neither one of them seems to want. Leicester, whom everyone should be rooting for, is one point off the pace, followed by Southampton. Chelsea is lurking in 5th. The Manchesters are slightly off the pace, but they've both got a game in hand. If they each win that game, they're in the hunt. Villa also could be in the hunt if it wins its two games in hand. Meanwhile, Arsenal sits in 15th (17th in goals scored). Gunners fans owe Unai Emery an apology. Also might want to send out a search party for Mesut Ozil.

11. Likes:

IslandRed (12-13-2020)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The EPL is fascinating. Tottenham and Liverpool share a lead neither one of them seems to want. Leicester, whom everyone should be rooting for, is one point off the pace, followed by Southampton. Chelsea is lurking in 5th. The Manchesters are slightly off the pace, but they've both got a game in hand. If they each win that game, they're in the hunt. Villa also could be in the hunt if it wins its two games in hand. Meanwhile, Arsenal sits in 15th (17th in goals scored). Gunners fans owe Unai Emery an apology. Also might want to send out a search party for Mesut Ozil.
    At least it's not going to be a one- or two-team runaway again. Which makes sense, I guess. With the super-compressed schedule, everyone playing in Europe is dealing with injury and depth and squad rotation issues. There's just no consistency. I'm most familiar with Liverpool's numerous issues, obviously, but it's affecting all the big clubs to some degree.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

13. Likes:

schmidty622 (12-17-2020)

Tottenham's flirtation with the top of the table has ended. Leicester just beat them 2-0 and leapfrogged them into 2nd place. If ManU holds its early 3-0 lead against Leeds, Spurs will drop to 5th place.

Meanwhile, Italy and France are clogged at the tops of their tables. Juve and PSG are not having their usual cakewalks. Makes for plenty of intrigue, not just for the league title, but also the Champions League places.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Tottenham's flirtation with the top of the table has ended. Leicester just beat them 2-0 and leapfrogged them into 2nd place. If ManU holds its early 3-0 lead against Leeds, Spurs will drop to 5th place.

Meanwhile, Italy and France are clogged at the tops of their tables. Juve and PSG are not having their usual cakewalks. Makes for plenty of intrigue, not just for the league title, but also the Champions League places.
    Spurs had an awful week. But I am not giving up. Bale and Allie are underutilized to this point, and if they are healthy and committed, will make a difference in the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Spurs had an awful week. But I am not giving up. Bale and Allie are underutilized to this point, and if they are healthy and committed, will make a difference in the campaign.
    I highly recommend not putting your faith in this version of Gareth Bale. And I'm really rooting for him to have a big season to keep him from returning to Madrid's payroll, but he didn't morph into an in-the-box predator the way many (including me) had hoped.

It's time to start talking about Sheffield United. They've taken 2 points from their first 15 games, putting them on pace to shatter Derby County's all-time Premier League futility record of 11 points in a season (set in 2007/8). I thought that record was close to unbreakable. Yet Sheffield seems to have the requisite amount of awful to get the job done. They've got a soft patch coming up (Burnley, Palace, Newcastle). If they don't take any points from that, then make sure to catch some of the worst team you're ever likely to see.

Was musing in my own head about clubs that I'd like to see back in the top tiers of the Big Five leagues. Curious what picks others here have. Mine:

England - Blackburn Rovers

The club that invented professional football. One of only seven clubs ever to win the Premier League. Also, arguably the best badge in the sport. They're iconic and the EPL could use them.

Spain - RCD Mallorca

There's about a dozen great choices here, but Palma de Mallorca is one of my favorite places on the planet. From a selfish standpoint, I want to go there and see a game.

Germany - Hamburger SV

Famously never relegated until they were in 2018. Six-time German champions, one-time European champion. Also too big a city not to have a top flight team.

Italy - Palermo FC

Currently in Serie C after a promotion from Serie D. They won the Coppa Italia as recently as 2011, 7th oldest club in Italy and Sicily really should have a club competing in the 1st division.

France - Paris FC

It is nearly inconceivable that Paris has been one team town when London and Madrid seem to have a club every stationed inside of every square kilometer. Paris FC have never played top flight, never won anything of note and play in a trash stadium, but French football in general needs them to turn Paris into at least a two team town.

Zach Steffen gets his first PL start for City.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

20. Likes:

Betterread (01-03-2021),M2 (01-03-2021),schmidty622 (01-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Zach Steffen gets his first PL start for City.
    Nearly a shutout! Although the back pass pickup was a little embarrassing...

Frank now officially on the hot seat. Hate to see it.
    Last edited by schmidty622; 01-03-2021 at 04:42 PM.

Hoppe first American to score Bundesliga hat trick

https://www.espn.com/soccer/schalke-...liga-hat-trick
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

23. Likes:

M2 (01-09-2021)

Turn Off Ads?