Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Hoppe first American to score Bundesliga hat trick

https://www.espn.com/soccer/schalke-...liga-hat-trick
    So, there's Hoppe for the future of American soccer afterall.

2. Likes:

M2 (01-09-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Celtic has 13 players isolating heading into today's game against Hibs - https://www.espn.com/soccer/celtic/s...ter-dubai-trip.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

In 2007/8 Newcastle was the only club to lose to Derby. Last week it become the only club (so far) to lose to Sheffield.

Goal of the year so far. Pretty ridiculous.

https://youtu.be/1hQSrTa2zAY
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

7. Likes:

M2 (01-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Goal of the year so far. Pretty ridiculous.

https://youtu.be/1hQSrTa2zAY
    Video was removed

Edit: found it on Twitter....yeah that’s insane
    Last edited by BuckeyeRed27; 01-19-2021 at 08:18 PM.

Man, that goal.

Also, Leicester's top of the table after beating Chelsea today.

Alaves 1: Real Madrid 4.
    This score line looks like a typical Giant destroying a minnow match, but there were 3 significant story lines here:
    1. Alaves took it to the kings for the first 15 minutes. No Zidane due to COVID. It took a quality Casemiro header off a perfect Kroos CK to alter the Alaves dominance.
    2. The goal to go up 2-0 was important. Kroos had the ball and needed guidance, so he looked for Modric. Modric was on the opposite site of the field, but Kroos found him and made the delivery. It was like he was saying “you take it, I don’t see a route to goal”. Luka saw Hazard and benzema and quickly played a perfect ball that Hazard dummied or slightly flicked to Bezema - goal.
    3. Then Kroos (with newfound confidence) played in Hazard with a beautiful ball for goal #3 and Modric opened up the defense with a pass to Bezema for goal #4.
    Kroos and Modric were sublime, and Hazard showed his quality, for the first time in a long time. This was a commanding performance, against a squad that never gave up. Kudos to Alaves in a losing effort as all Madrid’s goals were clinical finishes. They had to be.
    Last edited by Betterread; 01-23-2021 at 09:24 PM.

11. Likes:

M2 (01-24-2021)

Lampard is out, Tuchel in at Chelsea. He did a good job during the no-transfers year, but once Chelsea opened the checkbook this summer, expectations changed. He did not get the expected production from Havertz and Werner, which Tuchel will be expected to unleash.
    Big Q for me- who is the team leader in the field? Who is the alpha?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Lampard is out, Tuchel in at Chelsea. He did a good job during the no-transfers year, but once Chelsea opened the checkbook this summer, expectations changed. He did not get the expected production from Havertz and Werner, which Tuchel will be expected to unleash.
    Big Q for me- who is the team leader in the field? Who is the alpha?
    Odd team. High possession, low shots allowed, but fairly high goals allowed (10th in the league). Could be a keeper issue, but when I've seen them they seem to have a knack for giving up absurdly good chances. That can happen with high possession teams. I kind of wonder if Lampard was pulling at the right thread, but it was going to take some time to fit together that many new pieces. Helps to have a volume scorer in those situations, covers for the glitches in the matrix.

Sevilla signed Papu Gomez for only $5 million transfer fee. I think he can really help them in a creative midfield role. Excellent business from a pragmatic club.
    This is sad for Atalanta, who are weakened by his departure. They have a number of talented players but Papu was definitely their heart and soul. Really surprised Roma or Milan didn’t capture him. They need more quality to keep up with Inter and Juve’s talent level.

15. Likes:

M2 (01-31-2021)

I just realized that Athletico Madrid has 50 points from 19 matches, and has given up 10 goals so far. It is their title to lose. Luis Suarez’s goals have made that squad go from a defense first fortress to a balanced off/def juggernaut.

17. Likes:

M2 (02-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I just realized that Athletico Madrid has 50 points from 19 matches, and has given up 10 goals so far. It is their title to lose. Luis Suarez’s goals have made that squad go from a defense first fortress to a balanced off/def juggernaut.
    And Marcos Llorente and Joao Felix have provided all sorts of danger around Suarez too. With Madrid's recent stumble it looks like smooth sailing for Atletico. Will be interesting to see how the Colchoneros do against Chelsea in the CL. Technically, this should be their year.
    Last edited by M2; 02-05-2021 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    And Marcos Llorente and Joao Felix have provided all sorts of danger around Suarez too. With Madrid's recent stumble it looks like smooth sailing for Atletico. Will be interesting to see how the Colchoneros do against Chelsea in the CL. Technically, this should be their year.
    I will have to make sure to watch that one.

This is more world soccer than Euro soccer, but Tigres just became the first CONCACAF team to progress to the FIFA Club World Cup finals. The beat South America's entry Palmeiras 1-0 on a penalty by Andre-Pierre Gignac (who has scored all their goals in this competition so far and has over the years became a French talisman at the Mexican club). Everyone on the planet assumes they'll meet Bayern in the final. That would be a giant mountain for Tigres to climb, but Tigres has some of Mexico's top defenders anchoring the back line and pretty capable international mix of talent in the midfield and attack. They didn't smash-and-grab against Palmeiras. They went at the Brazilian club and created the better chances. So they've got a chance in the final even if it's a small one.

FA cup match at Goodison Park, Liverpool, Everton 5: Tottenham 4. Great match (even for a Spurs fan) Great games for Calvert-Lewis, and Richardson. They could not defend Corner kicks. Bernard got the game winner in extra time.

22. Likes:

M2 (02-10-2021)

Turn Off Ads?