Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 317

Thread: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

  1. #61
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    41,218

    Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    FA cup match at Goodison Park, Liverpool, Everton 5: Tottenham 4. Great match (even for a Spurs fan) Great games for Calvert-Lewis, and Richardson. They could not defend Corner kicks. Bernard got the game winner in extra time.
    Carlo > Mou.

    One thing I've noticed with cup games in general in recent years, regardless of the league, is teams are giving themselves more license to play attacking football in those contests. Teams don't really fear the loss, so they just go for it. It's really entertaining.
    The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
    In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there

  2. Likes:

    schmidty622 (02-11-2021)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #62
    Are we not men? Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    The Rubber City
    Posts
    7,411

    Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

    FC Bayern beat Tigres for the Club World Cup. Hansi Flick has now lost 5 games as manager of Bayern and won 6 cups.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

  5. Likes:

    M2 (02-11-2021)

  6. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,131

    Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

    Liverpool in absolute free fall. Lots of blame to go around but I think it's clear that when you remove two (three if you rate Matip) of the best CBs in the league from the team everything else starts to feel the impact.

    Honestly think they'll be lucky to make the Europa league and could see some significant outgoing player moves in the Summer.

  7. Likes:

    M2 (02-13-2021)

  8. #64
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    41,218

    Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Liverpool in absolute free fall. Lots of blame to go around but I think it's clear that when you remove two (three if you rate Matip) of the best CBs in the league from the team everything else starts to feel the impact.

    Honestly think they'll be lucky to make the Europa league and could see some significant outgoing player moves in the Summer.
    Losing their CBs is a major blow, and it would fell most clubs. The gap between their starting pairing and the backups is vast. They've been relying on Fabinho (though he was injured today) and I remember when he couldn't get a sniff for Madrid. It is going to be difficult for them to get a CL spot. Once everyone's level on games, they very well could be in 7th. Klopp, whom I think is a great manager, isn't helping of late. He keeps blaming the refs or the scheduling or the weather rather than putting the onus on his team and his game plan. The reality might be Liverpool needs to shift from a high block to a mid or low block in order to protect the back line.

    It's looking like the top four right now might be the Manchesters, Leicester and Everton. Everton's got a little work to do with three games in hand, but the other three have staked out their places out front. City is going to win the league. If you want to watch a clinic on how to football, spend a game watching Rodri. Can't say enough glowing things about Leicester. They're the mouse that continues to roar. Ole doesn't get enough credit for what he's done with a highly flawed ManU roster and Carlo Ancelotti is giving everyone a reminder he's one of the best managers on the planet. That Everton's even in the picture at this juncture is amazing.

    If those clubs close out the season and take the CL spots, not only would it mean no Liverpool (and the city would be filled with blue shirts lording it over them), it would also mean no London club in the CL for, I think, the first time since they shifted to this format. And the top team from London could end up being West Ham. Allow that to blow some bubbles through your mind for a moment.
    The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
    In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there

  9. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,131

    Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Losing their CBs is a major blow, and it would fell most clubs. The gap between their starting pairing and the backups is vast. They've been relying on Fabinho (though he was injured today) and I remember when he couldn't get a sniff for Madrid. It is going to be difficult for them to get a CL spot. Once everyone's level on games, they very well could be in 7th.
    It's this exactly. What gets under my skin a bit as a Liverpool supporter is the continuing commentary of some sort of fatal flaw with the construction of the team without recognizing the toll that losing Virg and Gomez has had. But that's life in the big city. You're always going to be held to a higher standard.

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Klopp, whom I think is a great manager, isn't helping of late. He keeps blaming the refs or the scheduling or the weather rather than putting the onus on his team and his game plan. The reality might be Liverpool needs to shift from a high block to a mid or low block in order to protect the back line.
    Agree 100% and its for sure his worst trait as a manager. I think he wants to be the guy that absorbs all the criticism and protect his players but then he projects it outward way too much. He's a bit too much like Mourinho in that regard.


    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's looking like the top four right now might be the Manchesters, Leicester and Everton. Everton's got a little work to do with three games in hand, but the other three have staked out their places out front. City is going to win the league. If you want to watch a clinic on how to football, spend a game watching Rodri. Can't say enough glowing things about Leicester. They're the mouse that continues to roar. Ole doesn't get enough credit for what he's done with a highly flawed ManU roster and Carlo Ancelotti is giving everyone a reminder he's one of the best managers on the planet. That Everton's even in the picture at this juncture is amazing.

    If those clubs close out the season and take the CL spots, not only would it mean no Liverpool (and the city would be filled with blue shirts lording it over them), it would also mean no London club in the CL for, I think, the first time since they shifted to this format. And the top team from London could end up being West Ham. Allow that to blow some bubbles through your mind for a moment.
    Rodri is excellent. Brilliant successor to Fernandinho but with a bit less blunt force.

    Everton has constructed an excellent roster. I don't know how much Carlo is behind that in the same way that I don't know how much Klopp is behind Liverpool's roster. Both, I think, are excellent managers of people and that's what has taken their respective sides to the next level.

    I would love to see West Ham start to make some noise. While I didn't enjoy their fans throwing bottles at us at Anfield, I won't deny their passion. Having another legit big club in the hunt every year can only be good for the league.

  10. Likes:

    M2 (02-13-2021)

  11. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

    In the premier league, ManCity has the lead with a strong wind behind them. I think positions 2-6 will change a lot until the end.
    West Ham above Chelsea? Chelsea is loaded with talent. Hasn’t been used well so far, but they made a big change. I feel safe in betting in them on being top London Squad. But I am no Chelsea fan. If I am wrong, I will be happy to point out their failure to Chelsea fans in my neighborhood.

    Liverpool has it’s problems, but Spurs are in worse shape. If they finish outside of the Europa league, big changes are coming to that club.
    I know Leicester are in 2nd and that is good in and of itself because of their payroll and their authenticity but who would you bet on going forward to score more: Jamie Vardy or Mo Salah?
    I do think Mo salah wants to play in Spain so he could be gone next year per Schmitty.

    Who is going to sign Jadon Sancho? He is the successor to Eden Hazard and he could affect the race for British clubs seeking European club honors. I still don’t get why he plays in Germany.
    Last edited by Betterread; 02-13-2021 at 10:58 PM.

  12. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

    Lukaku drove Inter past Lazio 3-1 with two goals, 1 asst. Inter go to top of the serie A table with the win. Lukaku is the MVP as well as top scorer in the league, so far.

  13. #68
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    41,218

    Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

    PSG beat Barcelona 4-1, led by a hat trick from Kylian Mbappe. This isn't the first time PSG has jumped all over Barca in the first leg of a Champions League matchup, but it's hard to imagine this version of Barca scoring four road goals to swing the tie. Now feed me more Mbappe to Madrid rumors.
    The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
    In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there

  14. #69
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    41,218

    Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

    Jordan Henderson just limped off for Liverpool. They're currently down 1-0 to Everton. They'll be effectively in 7th (Everton level on points with a game in hand) and in danger of dropping to 9th if Villa and Tottenham do all right with their games in hand.
    The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
    In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there

  15. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,131

    Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Jordan Henderson just limped off for Liverpool. They're currently down 1-0 to Everton. They'll be effectively in 7th (Everton level on points with a game in hand) and in danger of dropping to 9th if Villa and Tottenham do all right with their games in hand.
    This likely, effectively, marks the end of Klopp at Liverpool. It shouldn't because what is happening is pretty explainable due to injury, but that's not how Soccer works. I bet Stevie G is in as Liverpool manager before Christmas 2021 and fired by Christmas 2022.

  16. #71
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    41,218

    Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    This likely, effectively, marks the end of Klopp at Liverpool. It shouldn't because what is happening is pretty explainable due to injury, but that's not how Soccer works. I bet Stevie G is in as Liverpool manager before Christmas 2021 and fired by Christmas 2022.
    That would be a shame. Given what Klopp's won at Liverpool, he should be their manager for at least a couple of decades.
    The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
    In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there

  17. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,131

    Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That would be a shame. Given what Klopp's won at Liverpool, he should be their manager for at least a couple of decades.
    He doesn't want that (I think he set his end date at Liverpool for like 2024), and in the modern game I don't think it's really possible. Social media has a much bigger impact these days and when they have to sell a Salah or Mane this summer to make up for lost revenue someone's head will have to roll. It aint gonna be John Henry's...

  18. #73
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    41,218

    Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    He doesn't want that (I think he set his end date at Liverpool for like 2024), and in the modern game I don't think it's really possible. Social media has a much bigger impact these days and when they have to sell a Salah or Mane this summer to make up for lost revenue someone's head will have to roll. It aint gonna be John Henry's...
    Wish we had more managers like Diego Simeone at Atletico Madrid. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, because Henry's name will become a curse word in Liverpool if the situation you present plays out.
    The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
    In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there

  19. Likes:

    Betterread (02-21-2021),schmidty622 (02-21-2021)

  20. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That would be a shame. Given what Klopp's won at Liverpool, he should be their manager for at least a couple of decades.
    I agree with your main point, but right now Klopp is not tactically strategic. I know that Liverpool’s strength is in their attacking talent, but with all the injuries, it is clear they should bunker down and play for the counter. Salah has been a counter attacking demon with his speed and Mane is not bad either. I watched, and turned off the derby because watching Liverpool try to break down Everton unsuccessfully over and over was the definition of stubbornness.

  21. Likes:

    schmidty622 (02-21-2021)

  22. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,131

    Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Wish we had more managers like Diego Simeone at Atletico Madrid. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, because Henry's name will become a curse word in Liverpool if the situation you present plays out.
    Obviously would love to see Klopp stay at Liverpool. It's a rare fit in terms of managerial ethos and club identity. He's a force for good in the soccer world and with Liverpool's socialist adjacent (or just outright under Shankly) history, a perfect fit for the city and club. I just can't see the owners not taking what they see as the easy way out. They always do.
    Last edited by schmidty622; 02-21-2021 at 01:13 PM.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator