Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

Re: 2020-21 Euro soccer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Forgot about Donnarumma. Chiesa and Zaniolo have potential, but not there yet.
    Yeah, they might have the right keeper with Donnarumma. They'll build out of the back. Maybe it's time to hand the keys to Bastoni and Mancini and see if that re-establishes their impenetrable identity.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This one is up there with the best.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/31188068
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

4. Likes:

Betterread (04-03-2021),M2 (04-03-2021)

Big day for Liverpool. They stomped Arsenal and moved to within 2 points of Chelsea for the final CL slot in the EPL.

Meanwhile in Spain, Real Sociedad beat Athletic Bilbao to win the 2020 (no, that's not a typo) Copa del Rey final.

Vinicius picked a good time to play the best game of his career.

7. Likes:

Betterread (04-07-2021)

PSG and Bayern are going at each other. It's 2-2 and they've still got 30 minutes to play.

I don’t understand how they come up with these things but how does Bayern and PSG get matched together in a Quarters while Chelsea gets Porto.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I don’t understand how they come up with these things but how does Bayern and PSG get matched together in a Quarters while Chelsea gets Porto.
    It's a random draw. Always has been. Only rule is you can't play someone from your own country or a group stage opponent until you hit the semis. Sometimes you get a hard road. Sometimes you get an easy one, though those easy matchups have a habit of not being so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's a random draw. Always has been. Only rule is you can't play someone from your own country or a group stage opponent until you hit the semis. Sometimes you get a hard road. Sometimes you get an easy one, though those easy matchups have a habit of not being so easy.
    Ok. I thought they did it based on rankings of the teams based on their Group game production. I know it’s harder to group these games when you can’t play someone from your own country. Which the EPL has enough of.

Ok. I thought they did it based on rankings of the teams based on their Group game production. I know it’s harder to group these games when you can’t play someone from your own country. Which the EPL has enough of.
    In the round of 16 the 1st place teams from the groups play the 2nd place teams from the groups, but I think that all gets tossed out for the round of 8.

In the round of 16 the 1st place teams from the groups play the 2nd place teams from the groups, but I think that all gets tossed out for the round of 8.
    Yes. That part I know unless of course with the same league issues. I just thought into the quarters they would go more for avoiding what looks like a final matchups in the quarters.

Not a knock on Porto who has fielded good teams but like Benfica they get raided for players.

Yes. That part I know unless of course with the same league issues. I just thought into the quarters they would go more for avoiding what looks like a final matchups in the quarters.

Not a knock on Porto who has fielded good teams but like Benfica they get raided for players.
    I like that they don't play favorites. Also it's pretty cool that we get last year's final and the 2018 final in this year's quarterfinals.

If you're into tactics, this is an outstanding breakdown of the Madrid-Liverpool game.

16. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (04-08-2021)

I like that they don't play favorites. Also it's pretty cool that we get last year's final and the 2018 final in this year's quarterfinals.
    I’m a bit salty over AM starting to choke away their best chance to win La Liga since 2014.

I’m a bit salty over AM starting to choke away their best chance to win La Liga since 2014.
    That's the Atleti brand. They do a lot of heartbreaking. We'll always have 92:48.

19. Likes:

Betterread (04-09-2021)

West Ham beat Leicester 3-2 today, making them 3rd (Leicester) and 4th (West Ham) in the table. Though Chelsea and Liverpool (and possibly Tottenham and Everton) are right on their heels. Rooting hard for Leicester to finish strong and secure a Champions League spot.

And Madrid won El Clasico 2-1 over Barca yesterday, ending Barca's run of 19 straight unbeaten in the league. Karim Benzema scored an absolutely sick back heel goal (and what the video doesn't show is it all started thanks to a smart play out of the back by Eder Militao):

Turn Off Ads?