Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 8-29-20 Reds vs Cubs Game 1

Re: 8-29-20 Reds vs Cubs Game 1

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Hope he sticks around after the DH and they send a pitcher down.
    Me too, but he's probably on the bubble when Senzel returns. Most of the real roster clutter has been cleaned out now. Ervin, VanMeter, Jankowski, Colon all gone. It's like they are a real big league team now.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

8-29-20 Reds vs Cubs Game 1

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Ervin stopped being a guy you think of as a first round talent 2 or 3 years before he made the majors. He's just a guy who can run, has had some success on the short side of a platoon, is gawdawful against RHP and is a terrible defensive player. Payton is also a suspect, but he may be a late bloomer. Davidson took Ervin's job and Aquino may take it long term.

Ervin seems like a good dude. I hope some team has a spot for him, but the Reds don't need him.
    I am not arguing for Ervin. More arguing against Payton starting, I guess.

However, I am pro-Aquino. I already thought he should be playing over Ervin, Davidson, VanMeter, etc.

Maybe Akiyama too. I’d quickly be a big Akiyama guy if he can start getting on base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bigg Red Smokey; 08-29-2020 at 01:51 PM.

4. Likes:

Bruce Berenyi (08-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Red Smokey View Post

However, I am pro-Aquino.

RH on the mound. Somebody needs to play LF. They could stick Winker there and DH Moose or Votto with Galvis at 2B and Garcia at SS. I don't think they want Garcia playing both ends of a DH. My guess is Garcia plays the second game with Votto sitting, Galvis at SS and Moose at 1B.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Me too, but he's probably on the bubble when Senzel returns. Most of the real roster clutter has been cleaned out now. Ervin, VanMeter, Jankowski, Colon all gone. It's like they are a real big league team now.
    If Senzel ever gets back he is in CF. I would platoon Shogo with Aquino in LF. If Aquino got hot and Shogo continues to under preform Aquino would get more PT.
    Winker would be DH and I would sit Votto against LHP for Davidson. Garcia would play SS for me most days. Sitting against the tough RHP.

However, I am pro-Aquino. I already thought he should be playing over Ervin, Davidson, VanMeter, etc.

Maybe Akiyama too. I’d quickly be a big Akiyama guy if he can start getting on base.

Then in terms of not inciting the crowd, just leave off the “first round pick” from now on. It is irrelevant.

You’ve clarified so I know it’s not the case but anyone who makes that remark to help their cause comes off as backwards, not forward looking.

I'd like to see a complete game shutout from Bauer to make lineup questions moot for game 1.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

9. Likes:

mth123 (08-29-2020)

Payton runs well and seems to have a good eye. I would've tried him at leadoff today at least. Still don't have confidence in Votto there, but hopefully the days off will refresh him a little. Shogo's been a bust so far, so I'd keep him around 7th till he starts showing something. Reds really need Senzel back in the lineup.

11. Likes:

ochoa30 (08-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Then in terms of not inciting the crowd, just leave off the “first round pick” from now on. It is irrelevant.

You’ve clarified so I know it’s not the case but anyone who makes that remark to help their cause comes off as backwards, not forward looking.
    That’s why I clarified. We would not be talking about any of this if Senzel were healthy and playing.

I hope Payton plays well and makes it a moot point anyway.

We have a glut of talented OFers so ouch so we DFA’d a former first-round pick and Mark Payton gets the start?

What am I missing?

I hope he has a great day, but come on. Why can’t Moustakas DH and Garcia play?

Phil Ervin had a real good 2013 when he was drafted.

And then proceeded to put up pedestrian numbers every year. He did a little bit in high A and then reached the status of AAAA player. If he hadn't been a first round pick, I don't even think he'd have made it as far as he did. But he spent 7 years here, it's not like he didn't have a shot.

And for some reason the Reds REALLY wanted Mark Payton.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'd like to see a complete game shutout from Bauer to make lineup questions moot for game 1.
    Moot is now the word of the day for the game thread.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Phil Ervin had a real good 2013 when he was drafted.

And then proceeded to put up pedestrian numbers every year. He did a little bit in high A and then reached the status of AAAA player. If he hadn't been a first round pick, I don't even think he'd have made it as far as he did. But he spent 7 years here, it's not like he didn't have a shot.

And for some reason the Reds REALLY wanted Mark Payton.
    The FO made the decision that Payton and Davidson are > Ervin.

I can live with that.

I did like Ervin, but it’s not like he will be missed based on his performance thus far. Even when he payed well he was too inconsistent to be relied upon.

As a fan, I am not a fan of the lineup consistently not having the best players in it and/or being tinkered with so much based on L/R matchups.

Personally, I have wanted to see Aquino play every day. And I may be a total idiot for wanting that. But when he plays I enjoy the games more and by and large in his career as a Red he has performed. He’s fun to watch. Intriguing.

Matt Davidson, Ervin, VanMeter, Payton (I admit I don’t know much about him) etc not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Extra pine tar today, Trevor.

17. Likes:

Banshee (08-29-2020),Tom Servo (08-29-2020)

Extra pine tar today, Trevor.
    When did Pine Tar on the ball become legal? That used to be called doctoring the ball.

When did Pine Tar on the ball become legal? That used to be called doctoring the ball.
    Not legal, just knowingly unenforced.

Dumb rule, but it’s almost as dumb to abide by it when everyone else is doing it.

Not legal, just knowingly unenforced.

Dumb rule, but it’s almost as dumb to abide by it when everyone else is doing it.
    It used to be enforced.

Turn Off Ads?