Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PIck One to Jettison.

PIck One to Jettison.

I saw this on twitter.

Get rid of one: Beatles, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan or Beach Boys.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: PIck One to Jettison.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I saw this on twitter.

Get rid of one: Beatles, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan or Beach Boys.
    I could listen to Pet Sounds on an infinite loop, but The Beach Boys have to go.

4. Likes:

westofyou (08-31-2020)

Easy one, so long Stones.
    Go Gators!

6. Likes:

Rojo (08-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I could listen to Pet Sounds on an infinite loop, but The Beach Boys have to go.
    What? I mean I get you but Pet Sounds is liquid Thorazine. It really makes it hard to jettison. I'm ditching the Stones.

And there's actually a lot of other great Beach Boys tracks, and admittedly a lot of crap.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

I'm very familiar with the "Beatles vs. Stones" debate, but I'm not quite sure how you just add Dylan and the Beach Boys. If the assumption is that you hold the former two in super-high-esteem, it's because they are cut of the same jib.

Dylan is a different jib. The Beach Boys are a 3rd jib, entirely.

I have records by all four, but it quickly comes down to "OK, ain't no way it's the Stones or Beatles, so which of the Dylan of the Beach Boys am I most ambivalent to at the present time?" Upwards of 75% of the time, I'll jettison the Beach Boys.

But that's only because I count the Traveling Willburys as part of Dylan's argot. So good.

Also, full disclosure: I can't even count the number of times I've had the friendly bar debate "Beatles or Stones?" But I can assure you that every time I am asked the question, I give the same answer:

The Who.

9. Likes:

919191 (09-01-2020)

Easily Stones gone.

Pet Sounds is incredible + a lot of good songs

Beatles...I don’t feel like I need to say anything to defend them.

Dylan: just so much iconic american music. Hurricane alone is better than anything the Stones have done and it’s not his best song.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

11. Likes:

Rojo (08-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    What? I mean I get you but Pet Sounds is liquid Thorazine. It really makes it hard to jettison. I'm ditching the Stones.

And there's actually a lot of other great Beach Boys tracks, and admittedly a lot of crap.
    I’ve been digging some Stones stuff lately so maybe I’m biased in the present. Pet Sounds (IMO) is the best album of the 4 groups/Dylan, probably of all-time, which throws a wrench into the question.

Beatles/Dylan are untouchable here. Comes down to Stones vs Beach Boys.

13. Likes:

marcshoe (08-30-2020)

The answer always has been and always will be The Eagles.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

15. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-30-2020),Rojo (08-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The answer always has been and always will be The Eagles.
    Did we just become best friends?

I hate the eagles
    What would you say.....ya do here?

17. Likes:

757690 (08-30-2020)

Can I hate the Eagles but love Don Henley’s solo stuff?

19. Likes:

757690 (08-30-2020)

I don't hate the Eagles, but I don't have to hear them again.

Besides Pet Sound and the great surf rock hits before that, the Beach Boys recording a bunch of overlooked great tracks in the late 60's/70's.

Rolling Stones. Though I wouldn't miss Dylan either. I understand they're all critical in history, but I've never enjoyed either of their music.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm a big fan of both the Beach Boys and the Beatles. Bit the idea that the late-era Beatles wouldn't have been the late-era Beatles without Pet Sounds is a bit much.

The story I've read is that while the Beatles were touring Australia, they hear Pet Sounds and were blown away by Brian Wilson's studio approach -- bringing in ambient sound effects, echos, symphonic instrumentation, etc...

That sounds right. But McCartney, Lennon and Harrison are incredible song-writers and then there's George Martin. I gotta believe the Beatles were going to do their later albums -- Sgt. Peppers, White Album, Let it Be. Abby Road -- before Pet Sounds.

But it's hardly fair. Brian Wilson was a lone nutter, who was beat nearly def by his father, and had to deal with Manson, versus a hyper-talented quartet.

The Sunflower album might be more beautiful than Pet Sounds. And Pet Sound is near perfect.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

It's the one choice for me that doesn't exactly scream Rock. Buh-bye, Beach Boys.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

24. Likes:

texasdave (08-30-2020)

Turn Off Ads?