Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PIck One to Jettison.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: PIck One to Jettison.

I've never understood the love for the Stones. In my mind, Gimme Shelter is their one great song, and it's solely because of Merry Clayton.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-31-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I love the Beach Boys (post surfing songs) and Dylan, I would never give up The Beatles or the Stones.

I'd give up the Beach Boys and maybe Dylan for the Kinks any day of the year

5. Likes:

mth123 (08-31-2020),Revering4Blue (09-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I saw this on twitter.

Get rid of one: Beatles, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan or Beach Boys.
    Beach Boys.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I have all these guys on my phone, and maybe more Dylan than the others, at least on my current playlist. I think I mostly agree with Betterread in that you don't lose much that's authentic if you lose the Stones; you've still got the blues. Otoh, I enjoy them and haven't dived in as deep as I should have, maybe. Just yesterday I was listening to Let it Bleed and trying to figure out who was playing the slide guitar, looked it up, and was surprised to find out it was Ry Cooder. Seems like something I should have known.
    Ry Cooder is excellent on Sister Morphine as well. Makes the song. Sounds like I'm a bigger Stones fan than most of the people on here. but I can listen for hours and frequently do. For me it's basically the Beatles and the Stones and everybody else as far as music is concerned. I'd drop the Beach Boys of those four, but I like them a lot. I also like the Eagles who are probably third for me behind the Beatles and the Stones.

If I had to list my top 10 musical "acts" (Group, Artist, whatever). I don't think either Dylan or the Beach Boys would make my list, but I have a lot of both and like them both.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

marcshoe (08-31-2020)

I love The Beach Boys starting at my orange and yellow 45’s through Little Deuce Coupe album (with the cool customized 32 Ford coupe on the cover), Pet Sounds, and the underrated Sunflower and Surf’s Up.

But the Beatles, Stones, and Dylan are on my Mt Rushmore of rock artists. I can’t imagine my life with them. So The Beach Boys gotta go.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-31-2020),RFS62 (09-05-2020),westofyou (08-31-2020)

I love the Stones as a blues band and I think they've got a handful of really great, original songs. Dylan took up the mantle of Woody Guthrie, became the soul of folk music and through his transition to rock provided a bridge between the two forms. It's hard to deny the brilliance of Pet Sounds or that the Beach Boys were the epitome of a sub genre. And if you think the Beatles should be jettisoned, well you're just wrong.

I choose the Stones.

I also can't stand Don Henley's solo work, maybe less so Glenn Frey. But I am unapologetically a fan of early Jackson Browne inspired (and written!) Eagles country rock.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

12. Likes:

westofyou (09-09-2020)

Easy: The Beatles.

The Stones had more of an edge, which I loved. They relied more on the blues, and it influenced songs like Angie and the smooth riffs in Beast of Burden. Paint It Black, although not meant to be a war reference, fit perfectly with the times.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    ....Dylan are on my Mt Rushmore of rock artists...
    Dylan truly had a gift as a songwriter, and it seemed like everything he touched turned to gold. Jimi Hendrix, Darius Rucker, and Adele owe him a lot.

The Beach Boys replaced by The Who.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I think the only one of them that I’d actually care if I could never listen to them again is The Beach Boys honestly.

I like the Stones well enough, but they're the ones I'd turn loose if I had to choose.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I saw Dylan at the Garden State Arts Center in Holmdel NJ in the late 80s. The Alarm opened and were incredible. Dylan was backed by GE Smith and the SNL Band and was just awful. He went more acoustic towards the end of the set but prior to that it was just unintelligible mush. My memory is that I may have dozed off it was so bad.

My favorite Beach Boys moment was seeing them on TV play a July 4 concert in Philadelphia. They had a giant banner across the stage that said "Sea to Shinning Sea." I imagine a poor intern got the boot for that.

Turn Off Ads?