Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PIck One to Jettison.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: PIck One to Jettison.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The answer always has been and always will be The Eagles.
    I'll get hammered for this, but I Iike Eagles, Henley and Frey solo work. I do, however, HATE Hotel California - The track, not the album.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    It's the one choice for me that doesn't exactly scream Rock. Buh-bye, Beach Boys.

"Rock". Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    "Rock". Who cares?
    Yeah, I don't consider Dylan "rock."

One of the great misconceptions of the world (US) is that the Beach Boys are the "Surfin USA/Surfin Safari" guys. They are so much more.

6. Likes:

Rojo (08-30-2020)

"Rock". Who cares?
    It's kind of a personal thing for me. I like very little Pop music anymore that does not cross over to some type of Rock radio format. And I'm basing this around Satellite Radio, as I very rarely listen to terrestrial radio anymore. And the type of Pop that I listened to in my earlier days sounds too dated for me.

So it's not that I dislike the Beach Boys, I just like them less than the others, including Dylan, who is still a classic rock staple.

Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

So it's not that I dislike the Beach Boys, I just like them less than the others, including Dylan, who is still a classic rock staple.

You're free to dislike them. But like Dylan they are still "rock". It's about the time signature.

But I actually don't care if they are or not. As Duke Ellington said there's two kinds of music -- good and bad.

Last edited by Rojo; 08-30-2020 at 01:56 AM.

I'll get hammered for this, but I Iike Eagles, Henley and Frey solo work. I do, however, HATE Hotel California - The track, not the album.

Maybe we can still be friends

(I, like Kal, do like most of their solo work, including Joe Walsh)
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-30-2020)

Sunflower is the best!

You're free to dislike them. But like Dylan they are still "rock". It's about the time signature.

But I actually don't care if they are or not. As Duke Ellington said there's two kinds of music -- good and bad.

FWIW, I definitely do not dislike the Beach Boys. In fact, my first concert I attended as a 13 year old was a Beach Boys concert with the opening act - talk about a rock band from the past - Red Rider. And I've been informed by others that they're the type of band in which the singles - catchy as they are - don't fully illustrate the band's versatility. To that end, I'll make it a point to delve deeper into their catalog via Spotify, as the videos that you have posted in this thread are really good.

13. Likes:

Rojo (08-30-2020)

FWIW, I definitely do not dislike the Beach Boys. In fact, my first concert I attended as a 13 year old was a Beach Boys concert with the opening act - talk about a rock band from the past - Red Rider. And I've been informed by others that they're the type of band in which the singles - catchy as they are - don't fully illustrate the band's versatility. To that end, I'll make it a point to delve deeper into their catalog via Spotify, as the videos that you have posted in this thread are really good.

Yeah, everybody sees them at county fairs and baseball games and such.

And their name is dumb, it sounds like "boy band".

And a lot of there tracks are crap.

So what's you're point Rojo?

My point is that, besides Pet Sounds, which a lot of people think is great -- and it is, that they're is actually more great stuff than that. I'd suggest Surf's Up and Sunflower. It's pop-rock, but there's nothing wrong with that. I think it's actually pretty great,

The stones are not in the same sentence with those other names. Exile on Main Street is their highlight.
    I prefer other, more authentic, blues artists.
    What happened to Brian Jones always bothered me.
    Last edited by Betterread; 08-30-2020 at 09:23 AM.

I have over 5,000 songs on my phone. Not one is by Dylan. Already jettisoned.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

17. Likes:

Danny Serafini (09-09-2020),Red in Chicago (09-07-2020)

I have all these guys on my phone, and maybe more Dylan than the others, at least on my current playlist. I think I mostly agree with Betterread in that you don't lose much that's authentic if you lose the Stones; you've still got the blues. Otoh, I enjoy them and haven't dived in as deep as I should have, maybe. Just yesterday I was listening to Let it Bleed and trying to figure out who was playing the slide guitar, looked it up, and was surprised to find out it was Ry Cooder. Seems like something I should have known.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Hard for me to imaging a world without the Beatles, Beach Boys or the Stones. If I can keep Dylan's songs but do away with his performances it would be an easy choice.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Stones.

Don't like them. Never have. Sounds like asian screechy noises.

Could think of three thousand other groups/individuals I'd keep over The Beach Boys.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-31-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?