Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: aquino

Re: aquino

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    It's just one game, but not a great showing from AA. 0 for 4 with 3 strikeouts.
    Plus all of September last season
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Plus all of September last season
    he had a rough September, but it was not the end of the world bad....for example, he had an OPS of .619 in September which is not great....but is better than Shogo and Tucker have this season, and was only slightly lower than Farmer and Moustakas have this season. Also, he hit 5 HR's in September which is as many or more than everyone on this roster this season expect Winker, Castellanos, Geno and Galvis. His 14 RBI's in September is more than everyone on this roster this season except Winker, Castellanos and Geno. He was clearly no longer on fire and struggled with the strike out in September, but I think the narrative of how bad he was has grown to be worse than it actually was for Aquino.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    he had a rough September, but it was not the end of the world bad....for example, he had an OPS of .619 in September which is not great....but is better than Shogo and Tucker have this season, and was only slightly lower than Farmer and Moustakas have this season. Also, he hit 5 HR's in September which is as many or more than everyone on this roster this season expect Winker, Castellanos, Geno and Galvis. His 14 RBI's in September is more than everyone on this roster this season except Winker, Castellanos and Geno. He was clearly no longer on fire and struggled with the strike out in September, but I think the narrative of how bad he was has grown to be worse than it actually was for Aquino.
    Babe Ruth would have cooled off after the scorching hot August 2019. Well, maybe not the Babe. Most players would have. And pitchers do adjust.

Just give Aquino chances, maybe more often against lefties, let him get into his comfort zone. The trade deadline has passed, there are no more ready outfielders (except Senzel), this is the team for 25 more games, don’t change the roster every day, just let the guys play ball.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-01-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Wow Aquino is still absolutely clueless on hitting breaking balls. Hoping an extended look will assist in his development.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRed44 View Post
    Wow Aquino is still absolutely clueless on hitting breaking balls. Hoping an extended look will assist in his development.
    Let’s give him the remaining few weeks and see how Aquino does.

Looking forward, when ready, Jonathan India could give Aquino a battle for a roster spot. Both RH power hitters. India though plays infield positions and could be a valuable utility bat/DH. He could replace Aquino or Davidson. Just looking forward, speculation, possibilities.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-01-2020 at 09:39 AM.

Not just hitting breaking balls but knowing when to lay off of them. That final at-bat last night was cringe worthy.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

He was last year as well. Nothing has changed. He's probably a .230 hitter with plus power.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    He was last year as well. Nothing has changed. He's probably a .230 hitter with plus power.
    I am not going to draw conclusions after one game.

But if he’s a .230 hitter with plus power, with his defense, he should be starting in LF everyday.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

10. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

But if he’s a .230 hitter with plus power, with his defense, he should be starting in LF everyday.
    On this team, yes, but it doesn’t bode well for the future. .230 BA corner OFers shouldn’t be full time starters going forward. Maybe yes if he had a high walk rate and OBP.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

He did it last year and all during ST too. That's been his issue since day 1.

He did it last year and all during ST too. That's been his issue since day 1.
    He didn’t do it during August of last year. Just for a two week period in September. He didn’t do it in his first 6 games this year, just in yesterday’s game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    On this team, yes, but it doesn’t bode well for the future. .230 BA corner OFers shouldn’t be full time starters going forward. Maybe yes if he had a high walk rate and OBP.
    Joey Gallo is a career .210 hitter .330 OBP and has put up around 3 fWAR a season for three seasons.

Sure. Given his speed and defense, that makes him one of the team's top 5 or 6 players. I don't see many guys better than that. Aquino should be the RH half of a platoon in LF with Brian Goodwin. Even when Senzel returns, that should be the platoon. Shogo can be the bench guy.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Sure. Given his speed and defense, that makes him one of the team's top 5 or 6 players. I don't see many guys better than that. Aquino should be the RH half of a platoon in LF with Brian Goodwin. Even when Senzel returns, that should be the platoon. Shogo can be the bench guy.
    I never said he shouldn't, just looking at the reality of his skill set. I'd be fine with his as a 850-880 OPS bat regardless of his BA. Well see if he can be that. I'm skeptical.

I never said he shouldn't, just looking at the reality of his skill set. I'd be fine with his as a 850-880 OPS bat regardless of his BA. Well see if he can be that. I'm skeptical.
    Personally I believe that Aquino might be Spanish for Incaviglia

Turn Off Ads?