Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: aquino

Re: aquino

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    It is possible the Aquino situation is simply Occam's Razor. They said it's because they didn't think he'd get enough ABs with Senzel/Winker/Shogo/Castellanos getting most of the time and rather he'd face live pitching regularly than be a bench player, and maybe that is just it.
    That was my assumption at the beginning of the season (particularly in March when we thought they'd play minor league games) and the reason I was fine with him not making the 25 man roster. I wanted him to play and didn't see him getting the time at mlb level, especially with no DH.
    It's been pretty clear for weeks now he should be on this team.
    I'm still not convinced he'll be close to August '19 Aquino, but I'm definitely rooting hard for him. Hopefully he's kept making the adjustments that will turn him into a legit big league hitter. Tonight's at bats were a great start.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

2. Likes:

goreds2 (08-30-2020),Tom Servo (08-30-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I guess it's harder to judge when they're at Prasco and nobody knows what is happening there. If he was struggling in AA/AAA then we'd have a better understanding why Bell obstinately refused to use him.

Reds site says AA optioned back to Prasco today. Don't get it...

He should play over Shogo because Shogo essentially has given the Reds nothing. That was a bad signing I didn’t see coming

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by onehand View Post
    What a complete and utter joke.

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by onehand View Post
    Seriously? So odd.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Seriously, what the bleep is going on here?
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

11. Likes:

There has to be more than meets the eye here. Something unusual in his contract, some behind the scenes or something? The Reds can't be that stupid, can they?
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

13. Likes:

They brought him up as the 29th man on the roster for the doubleheader then had to send him back when the dh was over. I think he'll be back up here

15. Likes:

Stray (08-30-2020)

He needs to be starting in LF until he shows differently. The end

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless Jeff View Post
    There has to be more than meets the eye here. Something unusual in his contract, some behind the scenes or something? The Reds can't be that stupid, can they?
    Maybe he's just not that good?

I mean let's look at the evidence: He was terrible in September. He was terrible in spring training. He's been at Prasco and we have no clue how he's performed there - but the Reds do. And they've consistently said, by their actions, that other players were better options. So much so that even Mark Payton was taken over him, and Payton wasn't even on the 40-man roster - meaning they not only thought Payton was better, but that he was so much better that it was also worth designating someone else for assignment better.

Sure, maybe the Reds are just incredibly stupid. Like, mind numbingly stupid. But that's probably not the case. It's far more likely that Aquino simply hasn't looked good at Prasco and others have looked a lot better.

As someone else mentioned earlier, the problem here is that none of us have any idea of how he's been performing for the last 8 weeks. So all it does is bring up wild speculation.

I just struggle to see how if he were performing well at Prasco, he'd have just 9 at-bats this season. It simply doesn't add up, especially when there actually has been some playing time available with Senzel now out of the lineup and a spot being opened up at either the DH spot or left field. Then again, maybe I'm right there with the Reds front office being the dumbest person alive, too - I've certainly been accused of such a mental state.

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-30-2020),Just Sayin (08-30-2020),Ron Madden (08-30-2020)

impossible to root for this dross of a team

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

I mean let's look at the evidence: He was terrible in September. He was terrible in spring training. He's been at Prasco and we have no clue how he's performed there - but the Reds do. And they've consistently said, by their actions, that other players were better options. So much so that even Mark Payton was taken over him, and Payton wasn't even on the 40-man roster - meaning they not only thought Payton was better, but that he was so much better that it was also worth designating someone else for assignment better.

Sure, maybe the Reds are just incredibly stupid. Like, mind numbingly stupid. But that's probably not the case. It's far more likely that Aquino simply hasn't looked good at Prasco and others have looked a lot better.

As someone else mentioned earlier, the problem here is that none of us have any idea of how he's been performing for the last 8 weeks. So all it does is bring up wild speculation.

I just struggle to see how if he were performing well at Prasco, he'd have just 9 at-bats this season. It simply doesn't add up, especially when there actually has been some playing time available with Senzel now out of the lineup and a spot being opened up at either the DH spot or left field. Then again, maybe I'm right there with the Reds front office being the dumbest person alive, too - I've certainly been accused of such a mental state.
    You can say all of this...and it’s seems a logical conclusion to make....yet when the guy steps on the big league field he certainly looks the part and has an impact. It’s hard to make sense of.

21. Likes:

757690 (08-30-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-30-2020)

by what measurement is he not that good,, not better than van meter?
    not better than jankowski? not better than shogo?
    not better than ervin? beleive your eyes,, these other retreads are execrable

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

I mean let's look at the evidence: He was terrible in September.
    He was terrible for two weeks in September. This has been the biggest misconception about Aquino.

I posted this earlier.

He had a 1.158 OPS in 30 games in August.
    Then a .437 OPS in 16 games in beginning of September
    Then a .874 OPS in 11 games at the end of September.

Logic suggests that the 16 games in the middle were a normal slump. Yet, so many want to define him by those 16 games and act as if the 41 other games were a mirage.

Look at what he has done this year. 6 games, .899 OPS. So that is now 47 games vs. 16 games.

It’s hard to argue that he’s not good at the MLB level.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

24. Likes:

Shoeless Jeff (08-31-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-30-2020)

Turn Off Ads?