Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: aquino

Re: aquino

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Personally I believe that Aquino might be Spanish for Incaviglia
    Not a bad comp, offensively. Incaviglia put up a career .748 OPS 104 OPS+

He was around a 2 fWAR player during his prime as a DH level defensive player.

I’d be happy with that from Aquino over the next few years, but it should be better, considering his defense.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-01-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Joey Gallo is a career .210 hitter .330 OBP and has put up around 3 fWAR a season for three seasons.
    If Aquino walks enough for a .330 OBP, that’s fine.

But generally .210 or .230 hitters don’t do it for me in the corner OF.

Aquino has NEVER displayed a sufficient walk rate to get to a 330 OBP with his strikeout rates.

He has the look to me right now of being something like a 240/290/470/760 guy with good defense and speed,

The package at the plate reminds me of Wily Mo... and he had his good times as well... but because of that contract situation, he probably didnt really get the full development he needed and ended up stunting at the majors... never improved his discipline and couldnt tap into his natural talents. I hope the Reds patience and extra development with Aquino will end with a different conclusion. If he can convert a few K's into walks, and better identify pitches he can hit, then there is a real upside here.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

6. Likes:

757690 (09-01-2020),OGB (09-14-2020),Revering4Blue (09-01-2020),Ron Madden (09-01-2020),SirFelixCat (09-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Aquino has NEVER displayed a sufficient walk rate to get to a 330 OBP with his strikeout rates.

He has the look to me right now of being something like a 240/290/470/760 guy with good defense and speed,

The package at the plate reminds me of Wily Mo... and he had his good times as well... but because of that contract situation, he probably didnt really get the full development he needed and ended up stunting at the majors... never improved his discipline and couldnt tap into his natural talents. I hope the Reds patience and extra development with Aquino will end with a different conclusion. If he can convert a few K's into walks, and better identify pitches he can hit, then there is a real upside here.
    That’s similar to what RMR projected last year for Aquino, comparing him to Adam Duvall.

I think Aquino’s biggest problem was having such an outstanding August last year. Now, if he is just a decent MLB OF, people are disappointed. But if he can be what you projected, at least until he hits arbitration, he’ll be quite valuable. Considering the Reds let him go at the beginning of last year, I’ll be happy if he achieves that.

8. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (09-01-2020),Revering4Blue (09-01-2020)

Not a bad comp, offensively. Incaviglia put up a career .748 OPS 104 OPS+

He was around a 2 fWAR player during his prime as a DH level defensive player.

I’d be happy with that from Aquino over the next few years, but it should be better, considering his defense.
    A pretty good comp as a hitter. Aquino can run pretty fast and is a good defender. If he hits like Inky, he should put up more WAR.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

They'll love him in Korea

11. Likes:

mgbrown66 (09-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaReds View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20, but 90% of the posters here could see that Aquino would produce and help more than Ervin/Van Meter/Payton/etc. The sad thing is that the front office that is paid millions of dollars to identify the best roster can't see it. Unfathomable.
    My point about hindsight had more to do with the fact that this spring, there was a good argument to be made that AA should start the year in Louisville playing full time, particularly with a 25 man roster, no DH, and Ervin coming off an 800 OPS 2019.

I'm firmly in agreement that he should've been up here for a while now.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

He didn’t do it during August of last year. Just for a two week period in September. He didn’t do it in his first 6 games this year, just in yesterday’s game.
    You keep citing this and ignoring that the period of success in September also came with a sub .300 OBP and 30% K rate.
    He ran into a few more HRs but he still had his warts.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    You keep citing this and ignoring that the period of success in September also came with a sub .300 OBP and 30% K rate.
    He ran into a few more HRs but he still had his warts.
    I am not one who thinks he is wart free. Just that warts and all, he’s still a valuable player. I mean, he put up an .800+ OPS with a 30% K rate.

Aquino with his first HR of 2020.

He now has a .754 OPS which is higher than the 2020 OPS of Ervin and VanMeter combined.

16. Likes:

jwdoc77 (09-13-2020)

I have posted this 400 times since last year,, why did the whole season have to go by It makes me wish I did not care

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    I have posted this 400 times since last year,, why did the whole season have to go by It makes me wish I did not care
    Because time exists and we can't pause it.

nice response how about saying that you wish he would have played more speak to the issue not me do you want t he team to win or do you want to see m ore of payton

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    nice response how about saying that you wish he would have played more speak to the issue not me do you want t he team to win or do you want to see m ore of payton
    I thought it was funny response to a rather silly post on your part, Bruce.

and I thought my response was germane to a rather inane and tangential reply by you,, Here is a simple question dont you think aquino should have played ahead of ervin, van meter, jankowski, payton a simple question

Turn Off Ads?