Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 252

Thread: aquino

  1. #166
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    13,559

    Re: aquino

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    Too bad we had to go through paytonn and the junk du jour
    Aquino has pretty much been just as bad as the junk du jour to be fair.
    What would you say.....ya do here?


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #167
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    32,740

    Re: aquino

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Aquino has pretty much been just as bad as the junk du jour to be fair.
    Take victory laps where you can get them, even if it's from HRs off of great MLB relievers like Nabil Crismatt and Ross Detwiler.

    I like how the Reds are using Aquino of late, thought Bell used him really well today with the HR just being the capper.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

  4. Likes:

    Edd Roush (09-20-2020),Revering4Blue (09-20-2020)

  5. #168
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,145

    Re: aquino

    he would have performed better if given consistent playing time it was worth the gamble given the offensive ineptitude

  6. Likes:

    AlaskaReds (09-20-2020),JarrodOnVinyl (09-20-2020),mth123 (09-20-2020),Revering4Blue (09-20-2020),zigbeenuthouse (09-20-2020)

  7. #169
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,900

    Re: aquino

    Personally, I think the whole "sent down to work on things" business is just a story. The Reds kept lesser players based on secondary criteria, like experience at a certain position, what hand they hit with, whether they can steal bases and whether or not they had options. Keep your best guys and find a way to get them on the field.

    The Reds have outsmarted themselves frequently this year. I think how they've handled Aquino is one of those times.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  8. Likes:

    757690 (09-20-2020),AlaskaReds (09-20-2020),membengal (09-20-2020),Revering4Blue (09-20-2020),Roy Tucker (09-20-2020),Wonderful Monds (09-20-2020),zigbeenuthouse (09-20-2020)

  9. #170
    Savant zigbeenuthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    94

    Re: aquino

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Personally, I think the whole "sent down to work on things" business is just a story. The Reds kept lesser players based on secondary criteria, like experience at a certain position, what hand they hit with, whether they can steal bases and whether or not they had options. Keep your best guys and find a way to get them on the field.

    The Reds have outsmarted themselves frequently this year. I think how they've handled Aquino is one of those times.
    They have DFA guys who had chances Aquino did not have. He's starting to hit and needs to see plate appearances.
    Last edited by zigbeenuthouse; 09-20-2020 at 08:45 PM.

  10. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (09-20-2020)

  11. #171
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    25,359

    Re: aquino

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Aquino has pretty much been just as bad as the junk du jour to be fair.
    Not even close to being accurate.

    Aquino - .749 OPS

    Jankowski - .243 OPS
    Ervin - .324 OPS
    VanMeter - .334 OPS
    Colon - .341 OPS
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

  12. Likes:

    AlaskaReds (09-20-2020),alwaysawarrior (09-21-2020),Griffey012 (09-20-2020),Revering4Blue (09-20-2020),Roy Tucker (09-20-2020),zigbeenuthouse (09-20-2020)

  13. #172
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,145

    Re: aquino

    the comment by red team go is beyond asinitity

    - - - Updated - - -

    he is almost as prolific as three of these "players added"together

  14. #173
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7,125

    Re: aquino

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Not even close to being accurate.

    Aquino - .749 OPS

    Jankowski - .243 OPS
    Ervin - .324 OPS
    VanMeter - .334 OPS
    Colon - .341 OPS
    I am still fine with Ervin and JVM getting their opportunities. But in what world did Jankowski ever make sense?
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

  15. Likes:

    alwaysawarrior (09-21-2020)

  16. #174
    Go Reds Go! UKFlounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    2,326

    Re: aquino

    Maybe in the 1980s AstroTurf world? Maybe?


    Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I am still fine with Ervin and JVM getting their opportunities. But in what world did Jankowski ever make sense?

  17. Likes:

    Griffey012 (09-21-2020)

  18. #175
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    11,958

    Re: aquino

    We can't compare VanMeter to Aquino.
    VanMeter was here to be a back up infielder, the reason he got playing time was because Moose missed so many games early in the year. Aquino wasn't going to play infield.

    Jankowski had just 15 ABs. Ervin had 35 ABs but he was the LHH off the bench.

    It was Davidson who was in the role Aquino has now.
    Davidson had 43 ABs, Aquino has had 35 if ya wanna throw a fit over Davidsons 43 ABs a difference of 8 ABs knock yourself out.

    I Like Aquino
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 09-20-2020 at 10:58 PM.

  19. Likes:

    Bruce Berenyi (09-20-2020),Cursh14 (09-21-2020),fondfoat (09-21-2020)

  20. #176
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,145

    Re: aquino

    davidson should have had zero

  21. #177
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,793

    Re: aquino

    Realized today that is you crossed Foster and Davis’ plate approach and swing.....you end up with Aquino.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

  22. Likes:

    757690 (09-20-2020),zigbeenuthouse (09-20-2020)

  23. #178
    Savant zigbeenuthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    94

    Re: aquino

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    We can't compare VanMeter to Aquino.
    VanMeter was here to be a back up infielder, the reason he got playing time was because Moose missed so many games early in the year. Aquino wasn't going to play infield.

    Jankowski had just 15 ABs. Ervin had 35 ABs but he was the LHH off the bench.

    It was Davidson who was in the role Aquino has now.
    Davidson had 43 ABs, Aquino has had 35 if ya wanna throw a fit over Davidsons 43 ABs a difference of 8 ABs knock yourself out.

    I Like Aquino
    Ervin was LHH off bench? I thought he hit Right Handed...did I misread this?

  24. #179
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    28,735

    Re: aquino

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Personally, I think the whole "sent down to work on things" business is just a story. The Reds kept lesser players based on secondary criteria, like experience at a certain position, what hand they hit with, whether they can steal bases and whether or not they had options. Keep your best guys and find a way to get them on the field.

    The Reds have outsmarted themselves frequently this year. I think how they've handled Aquino is one of those times.
    Going back to the off-season, Reds didn’t see a major role for Aquino. With Senzel and Winker already set for starting time, they signed Castellanos and Akiyama. If they viewed Aquino as a serious candidate for major playing time, they would have saved some money.

    Reds probably did use secondary criteria in filling out the roster. But in terms of the primary outfield spots, they clearly didn’t think Aquino was ready. They wanted to work with him more and eventually moved him into Ervin’s platoon role.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-20-2020 at 11:38 PM.

  25. Likes:

    OGB (09-21-2020)

  26. #180
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    25,359

    Re: aquino

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Going back to the off-season, Reds didn’t see a major role for Aquino. With Senzel and Winker already set for starting time, they signed Castellanos and Akiyama. If they viewed Aquino as a serious candidate for major playing time, they would have saved their money.

    They probably did use secondary criteria in filling out the roster. But in terms of the primary outfield spots, they didn’t think Aquino could handle it and did want to work with him more at Prasco. And eventually decided he could handle a platoon spot, which he now has.
    Let’s be clear, they decided he deserved his sorta platoon role only after they tried every other carbon based person in their system in that role and they all failed miserably.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator