Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: aquino

Re: aquino

Quote Originally Posted by zigbeenuthouse View Post
    Ervin was LHH off bench? I thought he hit Right Handed...did I misread this?
    You're right.
    I was meaning to say he was a bench player to hit against LHP and be 5th OFer

2. Likes:

zigbeenuthouse (09-20-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Let’s be clear, they decided he deserved his sorta platoon role only after they tried every other carbon based person in their system in that role and they all failed miserably.
    I’m sorry, I must have forgotten. After Ervin was cut - other than Aquino - who played the RH corner OF platoon role against LHP?
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-20-2020 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I’m sorry, I must have forgotten. After Ervin was cut - other than Aquino - who played the RH OF platoon role against LHP?
    No one, but that was the problem with the Reds plan. They were so focused on handedness and defensive flexibility, that they played far inferior players like Payton, VanMeter, Jankowski, and Colon over Aquino. They also clearly valued Davidson over Aquino as the RH power bat off the bench and to DH. As mth123 points out, they outsmarted themselves.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

No one, but that was the problem with the Reds plan. They were so focused on handedness and defensive flexibility, that they played far inferior players like Payton, VanMeter, Jankowski, and Colon over Aquino. They also clearly valued Davidson over Aquino as the RH power bat off the bench and to DH. As mth123 points out, they outsmarted themselves.
    You have shown nothing to indicate that Reds’ decision on Aquino was based on secondary factors. The Reds, like a number of posters, judged Aquino as not ready to contribute and needing work. They signed other primary OFers.

They didn’t “outsmart themselves.” They made a talent and readiness assessment with which you disagree. Nothing more or less.

They did work with Aquino. And then, when they decided to cut Ervin, Aquino was deemed ready to contribute in a suitable role.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-21-2020 at 12:11 AM.

7. Likes:

fondfoat (09-21-2020)

Not even close to being accurate.

Aquino - .749 OPS

Jankowski - .243 OPS
    Ervin - .324 OPS
    VanMeter - .334 OPS
    Colon - .341 OPS
    Before the HR today it was like .650.

To be clear: I have wanted Aquino playing all year over those guys. I just grow tired of the Aquino is Hank Aaron stuff from Bruce. Sue me.

Also: JVM and Colon were not playing over Aquino. Those guys are infielders.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

9. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-21-2020),Cursh14 (09-21-2020),fondfoat (09-21-2020),OGB (09-20-2020),RedsManRick (09-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    he would have performed better if given consistent playing time it was worth the gamble given the offensive ineptitude
    This is/was not an "experiment with a young guy who has potential but a ton of flaws at the plate" season, particularly when you started the year with Shogo, Senzel, Winker, Castellanos, and Ervin coming off an .800 OPS season, and then added Goodwin 3 weeks ago.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    he would have performed better if given consistent playing time it was worth the gamble given the offensive ineptitude
    Josh Van Meter would have performed better if given consistent playing time. Phil Ervin would have performed better if given consistent playing time. That playing time was not available for them. Nor would it have been available for Aquino had he been on the roster in their stead.

"It was worth the gamble given the offensive ineptitude." I'm not sure you appreciate the illogic of that statement. You are asserting that the Reds should have known in advance that two players slotted for backup OF duty and who projected to perform at roughly the same level as Aquino would, in practice, horrifically stink up in the joint. Further, you suggest that, predicated on that bit of clairvoyance, the Reds therefore should have been willing to "gamble" and give Aquino consistent playing time which was not available to the guys who he would have replaced.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

12. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-21-2020),OGB (09-21-2020),Patrick Bateman (09-21-2020),Ron Madden (09-21-2020)

For all this back and forth on Aquino this year, just don’t lose sight of the fact that you are arguing about the 5th outfielder on the team.

14. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-21-2020),Cursh14 (09-21-2020),Edd Roush (09-21-2020),MikeS21 (09-21-2020),Ron Madden (09-21-2020),westofyou (09-21-2020)

He has game changing power. Considering the state of our offense, it shouldn't be hard to find the guy at bats. And I agree he shoulda been on this team all season.

But with Shogo coming around and being one of our top two guys who we can rely on to get on base, I don't know that I like Aquino getting at bats at his expense. As guys heat up and cool down my opinion can change, but with what's on the line I want Shogo getting as many at bats as possible.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Realized today that is you crossed Foster and Davis’ plate approach and swing.....you end up with Aquino.
    I don't even know how much Foster DNA you need. The MLB mobile game I play released a Special Edition Aquino last year for his POM stats, and then released a Legend Eric Davis during the off-season. I made sure to get them both.

I think they both have the same custom animation. They both look right to me.

Also: just to amuse myself, I went ahead and got the Adam Dunn SE, so I could have an all #44 outfield (even though the version of Shin-Soo Choo I have is a better fit for LF, since he can hit lead-off or #2, but the version of Suarez I have suffices if I bat Votto lead-off). Good times, good times....

17. Likes:

VR (09-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Before the HR today it was like .650.

To be clear: I have wanted Aquino playing all year over those guys. I just grow tired of the Aquino is Hank Aaron stuff from Bruce. Sue me.

Also: JVM and Colon were not playing over Aquino. Those guys are infielders.
    JVM and Colon both were the DH for two games. The Reds had a 30 man roster with plenty of infielders. They easily could have had Aquino replace either one and been fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    You have shown nothing to indicate that Reds’ decision on Aquino was based on secondary factors. The Reds, like a number of posters, judged Aquino as not ready to contribute and needing work. They signed other primary OFers.

They didn’t “outsmart themselves.” They made a talent and readiness assessment with which you disagree. Nothing more or less.

They did work with Aquino. And then, when they decided to cut Ervin, Aquino was deemed ready to contribute in a suitable role.
    Aquino was recalled from Prasco four time this season, the first time in July, just a few games into the season, and received starts every time he was called up. He even was sent down and called up the same day last week when a spot suddenly opened up. He was called up because he was deemed ready to contribute. He was sent down, because the Reds believed that they had better players. This was all with 30 and 28 man rosters, so there was room for him every time.

The facts don’t support your narrative. The facts are clear. The Reds felt Aquino was ready, but also felt that other players were better. They valued most of the other players because they batted left handed or played other positions, even though they were redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    For all this back and forth on Aquino this year, just don’t lose sight of the fact that you are arguing about the 5th outfielder on the team.
    With a DH, and Senzel out a good chunk of the year, that spot received plenty of playing time this season.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Josh Van Meter would have performed better if given consistent playing time.
    JVM played in 14 of the 24 games the Reds played this season while he was on the team. He received consistent playing time.

When Senzel was injured, there was plenty of playing time for Aquino. Aquino in LF, Shogo in CF, Cast in RF and Winker at DH. If the Reds weren’t so obsessed with handedness, and insisted on playing JVM and Payton when Senzel went down, every time there was a RHP on the mound, they easily could have had given that OF plenty of starts.

And we really don’t know if JVM would have been better or if Ervin would have been better or if Aquino would have been better. None of them had enough MLB time for anyone to accurately predict how they would perform this season. But we do know that Aquino was the only one with actual potential and power to be better than a backup.

22. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    This is/was not an "experiment with a young guy who has potential but a ton of flaws at the plate" season, particularly when you started the year with Shogo, Senzel, Winker, Castellanos, and Ervin coming off an .800 OPS season, and then added Goodwin 3 weeks ago.
    Again, when Senzel went down, there was room for Aquino to start. I actually didn’t complain when Aquino started the season at Prasco. But when Senzel went down, and JVM and Payton started to get starts over Aquino, I knew the Reds just didn’t like Aquino.

24. Likes:

Redsfan6272 (09-21-2020)

Turn Off Ads?