Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: aquino

Re: aquino

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Let's talk this out with the assumption that Aristides Aquino has indeed been struggling at Prasco Park

Your argument is that the pitchers not good enough to be in the big leagues can get him out and make him look bad, but the pitchers better than that who are in the big leagues would perform worse against him and or he'd perform better against them?

The practice field is basically Double-A/Triple-A. Would you ever argue a guy in the minor leagues struggling should be called up because he once upon a time performed very well for 5 weeks in the Major Leagues?

Again, I want to be sure that I'm pointing out that I have no clue at all how Aquino has performed at Prasco. This is simply talking out the idea that teams shouldn't actually pay attention to what's happening at their alternate sites with regards to performance.
    I didn’t say to ignore what is happening at Prasco. Just that it shouldn’t be more important than what is happened at the MLB level.

It’s a completely different environment, a completely different situation at Prasco from MLB.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    What Aquino has done at the MLB level surely should speak much louder than what he does on a practice field. I can’t believe any team is putting much value in what players are doing on their practice fields.
    The issue is that he's not someone like Eugenio Suarez that has earned the benefit of the doubt. With a small sample size, practice and spring training are going to matter.

I have no idea why he's not at the MLB level. When it became clear Ervin was not hitting LHP, I'd have brought him up. Same with injuries opening up OF/DH ABs.

Maybe he's been terrible at Prasco, had an attitude/work ethic problem, etc. Who knows.

The only thing I'm sure of is that the Reds want to win. They know that if they start hitting, this starting rotation can carry them deep into the playoffs. If they felt Aquino was the answer, he'd have been up there long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    what do you think instead of bothering me what is your opinion besides exercising your extensive vocabulary of jabroni what do you think, sure I was wrong on winker at least I had an opinion what is your opinion besides saying were good again or were bad again!!!!!!!!!!!!!I was wrong on winker and right on colon, the bullpen,. vanmeter, ervin, jankowski, shogo payton etc
    I don’t think anyone would say my problem is a lack of opinions. I like that you’re upset about “jabroni” though, I should definitely put my English major to use and shoehorn in more arcane words while posting diatribes about how Jesse Biddle lacks the brio of a Chris Michalak.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

MR X (08-30-2020),OGB (08-30-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-30-2020)

I’m good on Payton. Please give his ABs to AA

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-30-2020)

he also lacks the je ne sais quoi of chris bushing , and the savoir faire of jon noriega

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sure, this year in his 9 at-bats that we've been able to see, he's been good. The Reds have probably watched him have 250 at-bats this year, though. Just incredibly tough to imagine he's out there crushing it and this is how they've decided to play things.

Given the information I have available to me, I'd probably have had him on the roster a long time ago. But I'm not ready to destroy the front office over not having him up, either.
    9 at bats and a historic month of August last year. He does not only have 9 at bats in the bigs. Sure, his September wasn’t great and neither was his winter or spring....but he has certainly shown flashes he can get it done at this level other than just his 9 AB’s this year.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwdoc77 View Post
    9 at bats and a historic month of August last year. He does not only have 9 at bats in the bigs. Sure, his September wasn’t great and neither was his winter or spring....but he has certainly shown flashes he can get it done at this level other than just his 9 AB’s this year.
    Absolutely agree with all of this.

I guess my point is: If he's looked terrible since August ended, that data is probably more important than the data from August when it comes to what to expect him to do today.

Unfortunately we don't really have any of the data since about March 10th.

yes but we have data on the other junk thats trotted out there

This is the problem with a strictly macro-level data driving analysis.

Maybe AA gets some kind of adrenaline rush during actual MLB games that he doesn't get other times, and that impacts his performance?

Maybe he's just hot right now, and will fall back to Earth soon.

Maybe, maybe maybe.

None of it matters. He had a good game last night. Looked the part more than the other subs. And they sent him back.

Stupid.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

13. Likes:

757690 (08-30-2020),Kc61 (08-30-2020),Old school 1983 (08-30-2020),Shoeless Jeff (08-31-2020),TexasRedsFan (08-30-2020),wally post (08-31-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-30-2020)

I just think the Reds are prioritizing option status and handedness over talent. I think those things do matter, but they are more "other considerations" when the talent is similar. whena guy clearly belongs, it doesn't make sense to take so many who clearly don't no matter what the options are or which hand they hit with .
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-30-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-30-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I just think the Reds are prioritizing option status and handedness over talent. I think those things do matter, but they are more "other considerations" when the talent is similar. whena guy clearly belongs, it doesn't make sense to take so many who clearly don't no matter what the options are or which hand they hit with .
    I do think they are being very deeply stupid about the platoon business. I don’t care if Mark Payton hits left handed, he shouldn’t ever be starting.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    The issue is that he's not someone like Eugenio Suarez that has earned the benefit of the doubt. With a small sample size, practice and spring training are going to matter

I believe Aquino has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Right now, in his major league career, he has 237 PAs with an .888 OPS. Plus good speed and a rocket arm. I think that gets you the benefit of the doubt.

Josh Van Meter had a great July 2019 and got the benefit of the doubt, months of playing time.

Bell said that they don’t want Aquino sitting on the MLB bench. Then play him. You’re offense is not exactly the ‘27 Yankees.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-30-2020 at 05:48 PM.

19. Likes:

membengal (08-31-2020),mth123 (08-30-2020),Old school 1983 (08-30-2020),wally post (08-30-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    here s a great bit of reasoning by someone "perhaps hes not that good" maybe not but not that good is light years and eons better than ervin van meter jankowski and payton to the third expoenential power
    Are you actually Aquino?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    This is the problem with a strictly macro-level data driving analysis.

Maybe AA gets some kind of adrenaline rush during actual MLB games that he doesn't get other times, and that impacts his performance?

Maybe he's just hot right now, and will fall back to Earth soon.

Maybe, maybe maybe.

None of it matters. He had a good game last night. Looked the part more than the other subs. And they sent him back.

Stupid.
    In all sports, at all levels, there are a few guys who are mediocre practice players, but can dial it up a notch or three in the games. Maybe AA is one of those guys... clearly, doing well at the MLB level is all about focus... and for some, to their detriment, the level of focus deemed necessary by the club is just a bit higher that he can achieve. He may be one of the exceptions to the coaches' rule that "you earn your playing time in practice". AI: "We talkin bout practice???"

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I believe Aquino has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Right now, in his major league career, he has 237 PAs with an .888 OPS. Plus good speed and a rocket arm. I think that gets you the benefit of the doubt.

Josh Van Meter had a great July 2019 and got the benefit of the doubt, months of playing time.

Bell said that they don’t want Aquino sitting on the MLB bench. Then play him. You’re offense is not exactly the ‘27 Yankees.
    JVM was with the Reds because position versatility, nothing more. I don't think he deserved the benefit of the doubt either.

Ervin was the guy on the roster taking ABs from Aquino, not him. If Ervin hits LHP in 2020 as good as he did last year, I don't think this would be as big of an issue.

23. Likes:

OGB (08-30-2020),Ron Madden (08-30-2020)

Turn Off Ads?