Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: aquino

Re: aquino

What AA did last year was not good it was great.

He’s fun to watch. So much so my sons and I tuned in especially to watch him play in a year that was otherwise forgettable. Sometimes (and I hate admit it but it’s true) we would mostly just watch his at bats. This is coming from a 40-year Reds fan who watches every game.

It’s been very limited but he’s shown more discipline at the plate.

The Reds brass is so low on him that they almost lost him couple years back. And they continue to screw him around this year too. I’m almost convinced it’s just a personal thing between AA and somebody.

Maybe if he played every day he would end up sucking. But he has not shown it at the MLB level. I don’t know what his splits are but good big league hitters play every day.

My lineup would feature AA until he proved he could NOT hit or play defense. Not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes:

Kc61 (08-30-2020),Old school 1983 (08-31-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    JVM was with the Reds because position versatility, nothing more. I don't think he deserved the benefit of the doubt either.

Ervin was the guy on the roster taking ABs from Aquino, not him. If Ervin hits LHP in 2020 as good as he did last year, I don't think this would be as big of an issue.
    I didn’t say JVM took ABs from Aquino. It’s that both players had one good MLB month in 2019, followed by cooling off. But Aquino did not get the same benefit of the doubt JVM received. JVM became first lefty hitter off Reds’ bench. Aquino went to Prasco.

As for Ervin, that calculus was flawed from the start. Aquino too hits lefties well, yet has a higher ceiling. As was pointed out by some of us this past off-season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-30-2020 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Red View Post
    He should play over Shogo because Shogo essentially has given the Reds nothing. That was a bad signing I didn’t see coming
    This guy picked his family up and moved halfway across the globe for a job where he doesn't know anyone, speak the language, or have many people in the city speak his language, and then a global pandemic happens and turns the world and the sport on its head.

Maybe give him more than 30 games before coming to that conclusion.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

6. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (08-30-2020),HammerTime (08-31-2020),Old school 1983 (08-31-2020),Ron Madden (08-30-2020),StRedlegs900 (08-31-2020),Tom Servo (08-30-2020),Tuff Nut (08-30-2020)

Not saying this is for sure the case. But it's the only thing that makes sense. Maybe the Reds feel that AA is better right now than some they have on their roster. Maybe they also feel he's only say 60 percent of what they expect him to be and he needs more specific work to reach his potential. So their choice is use him now at the risk of not getting the training in he needs to be the more consistent star player they foresee in the future. And it doesn't hurt to send him out to play in a game here and there as part of his curriculum.

Or maybe it’s player development. Aquino maybe not separating himself from the pack at Prasco, and rather than force him on the roster when he has holes they will be exploited liked the other duds that they can coax more out of him. I think
    they are simply treating him like a prospect with an eye on the bigger picture rather than as a journeyman like the other guys. Player development does matter, and is generally not fully appreciated by this board, in general. Aquino coming up and performing could actually be evidence of intelligence, not stupidity.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-31-2020),Ron Madden (08-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I didn’t say JVM took ABs from Aquino. It’s that both players had one good MLB month in 2019, followed by cooling off. But Aquino did not get the same benefit of the doubt JVM received. JVM became first lefty hitter off Reds’ bench. Aquino went to Prasco.

As for Ervin, that calculus was flawed from the start. Aquino too hits lefties well, yet has a higher ceiling. As was pointed out by some of us this past off-season.
    You're comparing apples and oranges. JVM benefited from the lack of 1B/2B/3B depth and Moustakas' Corona scare/subsequent injury.

Aquino had Winker, Castellanos and Shogo in front of him. Then there was Ervin, who destroyed LHP pitching last year (1.038 OPS), more than 150 points higher than Aquino. For that reason, combined with Aquino's preseason performance, it's not surprising he got the nod to start the season.

11. Likes:

OGB (08-31-2020),Ron Madden (08-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Or maybe it’s player development. Aquino maybe not separating himself from the pack at Prasco, and rather than force him on the roster when he has holes they will be exploited liked the other duds that they can coax more out of him. I think
    they are simply treating him like a prospect with an eye on the bigger picture rather than as a journeyman like the other guys. Player development does matter, and is generally not fully appreciated by this board, in general. Aquino coming up and performing could actually be evidence of intelligence, not stupidity.

This would make more sense if he were 22 or even 24. Aquino is 26.

This also would make more sense if the Reds hadn’t brought him up briefly twice now.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

13. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-31-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-30-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

This also would make more sense if the Reds hadn’t brought him up briefly twice now.
    And also I thought the conventional wisdom was that there was much development going on down at Prasco anyway. If that were a good spot for a developing player, I imagine Garcia would still be there.

I wonder if Reds haven't already decided to trade Aquino for a more established player once they decide who that player should be (or consider what they've been offered). Not playing him more in order to keep his trade value higher (in case he flails like he did in early September again) is all that makes sense to me given who's gotten time ahead of him in 2020.

I can see Aquino ending up hitting 50 hr's for whatever team gets him from the Reds for spare change.

Also can see why the Reds are doing what they do, versatility is most important to them.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

They brought him up briefly in the past out of need than anything. He was then demoted for non performance related reasons.

26 or not, he is a late bloomer, and still a player with some unrefined qualities. He is less of a finished product than other guys his age, and with 6 years of control remaining, a good choice to try and get things right. It’s not like they are giving him away in trades because they think he’s useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    And also I thought the conventional wisdom was that there was much development going on down at Prasco anyway. If that were a good spot for a developing player, I imagine Garcia would still be there.
    I think Garcia did spend another month there to work and develop and was brought up when they felt he was ready to contribute to the lineup most days. With galvis performing ok and Moose back, they didn’t NEED to bring up Garcia, they chose to based on his perceived readiness.

19. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-31-2020)

If I were Aquino I would demand a trade. I know the Reds would not have to do it, but this is ridiculous and they pretty clearly do not value him. I bet someone like the Royals or Tigers would play him every day.

I wonder if that’s partially what is going on. They see him as a trade chip.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

21. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (08-30-2020)

They brought him up briefly in the past out of need than anything. He was then demoted for non performance related reasons.

26 or not, he is a late bloomer, and still a player with some unrefined qualities. He is less of a finished product than other guys his age, and with 6 years of control remaining, a good choice to try and get things right. It’s not like they are giving him away in trades because they think he’s useless.

Lol to the notion that there hasn't been a need for him for most if not all of this season. But regardless, if they are willing to hurt his development by calling him up twice now, it's clear this isn't about his development.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

23. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-30-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-30-2020)

It’s just mental gymnastics at this point as to justifying why the Reds haven’t called him up and made him an every day OF. We will probably never know the real reason, but there’s no way it has anything to do with development.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

25. Likes:

Bob Sheed (08-31-2020),Mitri (08-30-2020),Old school 1983 (08-31-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-30-2020)

Turn Off Ads?