Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: aquino

Re: aquino

listen guys, if aquino didn't punch david bell in the face, didn't tell the media that the castellinis and the williams have no clue what they are doing, and then didn't kick david bell in the nuts for good measure, then he would be on the roster and playing. it's as simple as that.

oh wait, he didn't do any of those things.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The main question with Aquino is talent evaluation. But there’s also a team structuring issues with the Reds. I debated this all winter and still see an issue.

The team had a glut of OFers and maybe some prospects to trade. They should have traded off the surplus to bolster the pen and infield depth. Those needs have shown up this season and have diminished Reds chances.

It might not have worked. Reds could have made bad trades; the virus hiatus maybe made trades too difficult. They might traded the wrong guys - Winker before the DH was settled upon or Aquino due to Reds’ apparent concerns.

Still, while the talent improved this year, didn’t think Reds finished off the team. In terms of Aquino, they might have had room for him if they structured things differently.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-31-2020 at 11:34 AM.

I don't understand why Payton is getting at-bats and Aquino isn't. It's weird.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

5. Likes:

Bob Sheed (08-31-2020),Old school 1983 (08-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I believe Aquino has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Right now, in his major league career, he has 237 PAs with an .888 OPS. Plus good speed and a rocket arm. I think that gets you the benefit of the doubt.

Josh Van Meter had a great July 2019 and got the benefit of the doubt, months of playing time.

Bell said that they donít want Aquino sitting on the MLB bench. Then play him. Youíre offense is not exactly the Ď27 Yankees.
    This.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    The thing about Aquino is that there are obvious parts of his game that are just so clearly above average. He can hit a baseball harder than most humans can. He can throw a baseball from the outfield harder than most humans can. He can do both of these things better than each and every other outfielder within the Reds organization. It's fairly hard to dispute either of those two comments. And it's not like his other tools are lacking so far behind to drag down the power those two tools hold. On top of all this he has charisma, seems like a really good kid. Other teammates seem to like him.

But something he's doing at Prasco is holding all of this back, for the likes of Phil Ervin and Mark Payton?
    This post is so good, I give it an internet high five.

Quote Originally Posted by larry schuler View Post
    my uneducated guess is itís a cultural thing. The evaluators on the reds may value certain personality types and temperaments and aquino might not check those boxes. He may not be a great self-advocate in the clubhouse. In my personal experience, iíve seen groups ice out productive and capable workers, teammates, and/or performers just because they donít quite fit in with the greater culture of an institution (and, conversely, iíve seen mediocre people succeed at an institution because they are great at fitting in with the culture).
    nods vigorously

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The thing is, it isn't hindsight. It's current events. The Reds tried Ervin, Jankowski, VanMeter, Colon. They are still giving the nod to Payton and Davidson over Aquino. Davidson has hit a couple of timely HR, but he's still hitting .211 with an OBP of .278 (even Billy Hamilton can do better than that) while adding very little defensive value. Yet Aquino is still not on the roster. Are they concerned he might only be a guy who will hit an occasional HR while having a low BA and OBP? Seems like that's exactly what they have with Davidson. Of course, Aquino would be one of their better defensive OF and has well above average speed.

I said it earlier. This is because of options, handedness and position. It isn't because those other guys are better players. I'm not even a huge Aquino fan, but I think he'd provide more than those other guys and the Reds need more than what they've been getting.
    Takes this post to a covid-safe outdoor seating restaurant and buys it a thank you glass of wine.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I don't understand why Payton is getting at-bats and Aquino isn't. It's weird.
    Ya despite what I have said above, it is time. The players they thought could fill the roles have not worked. I think Aquino has had more than enough time to work things out and there is ample playing time for him here. Miscalculation on the front office to this point that alternatives could do the job. Its time to go with the most talented player, be damned if there are some lumps along the way.... as we have already been hit repeatedly with the ugly stick to this point of the year.

11. Likes:

membengal (08-31-2020),Old school 1983 (08-31-2020),Tom Servo (08-31-2020),wolfboy (08-31-2020)

Down at the end of this article, it talks about Aquino. Nothing earthshaking but at least Nightengale is mystified as well.

Cincinnati Reds show they have Bell's back in bench-clearer vs. Cubs, but could it mean suspensions?

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...bs/5674227002/
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Bingo all day long on that last sentence. Itís like they wonít put the best team on the field. Right now that team has Aquino in left. Just by watching Shogos approach, I think heís better than his numbers have shown, but he really should be a platoon guy and spot starter when Senzel comes back. Itís crazy how Aquino isnít out there. He doesnít have to be august 2019 Aquino to be productive, let alone better than whatís out there.

Donít even get me started on Stephenson either. Barnhart swings a wet noodle and Casali is the prototypical personal catcher that wonít kill you at the plate.

Garcia, Aquino, and Stephenson need to play everyday until they show they canít or someone else knocks down the door and wins their job. Itís mind numbing how the Reds wonít put the best team they have on the field.
    Iím on this train. Find another reliever, and a LH bat like Murphy that can offer something at the plate. Moving Iglesias might be needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

It just seems like they are holding Aquino to some standard that does NOT apply to everyone else they are giving playing time to in his potential spot. Weird.

15. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-31-2020),Wonderful Monds (08-31-2020)

It just seems like they are holding Aquino to some standard that does NOT apply to everyone else they are giving playing time to in his potential spot. Weird.
    It’s extremely weird and it borderline comes off as problematic.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

17. Likes:

membengal (08-31-2020),Old school 1983 (08-31-2020)

I feel like it’s fairly obvious to some degree also that Stephenson should be up here instead of Barnhart if they’re actually trying to win, but he doesn’t have the limited track record Aquino does either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I feel like it’s fairly obvious to some degree also that Stephenson should be up here instead of Barnhart if they’re actually trying to win, but he doesn’t have the limited track record Aquino does either.
    I think Stephenson is 90% service time manipulation and 10% Barnhart and Casali have good rapport with the SPs.

Aquino makes absolutely no logical sense. None.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

21. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (08-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think Stephenson is 90% service time manipulation and 10% Barnhart and Casali have good rapport with the SPs.

Aquino makes absolutely no logical sense. None.
    Yeah definitely, I feel like it’s starting to be insulting to my intelligence as a fan that he’s not up here by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

23. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-31-2020),RedTeamGo! (08-31-2020)

Turn Off Ads?