Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds trade for Angels' OF Brian Goodwin

Re: Reds trade for Angels' OF Brian Goodwin

I'd like to point out that Brian Goodwin has a higher career OPS than every OF option we have except for Castellanos, Winker, and Aquino. Castellanos and Winker are both DH candidates and Aquino is a really small sample size.

2. Likes:

malcontent (08-31-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Given the two players the Reds picked up today, I'm assuming beards are the new market inefficiency.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 08-31-2020 at 06:01 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

5. Likes:

JaxRed (08-31-2020),Redeyecat (08-31-2020)

I love this move. As for how they fit:

Senzel CF
    Votto 1B
    Castellanos RF
    Winker DH
    Suarez 3B
    Moustakas 2B
    Goodwin/Aquino LF
    Barnhart/Casali C
    Garcia SS

Shogo, Galvis, Farmer round out the bench. That's 14 position players and a much improved roster with depth and guys who can actually play if teh need to be used.

I think this move improves the team more than the Bradley acquisition. .
    Last edited by mth123; 08-31-2020 at 06:39 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Jamie Ramsey
    @Jamieblog
    Goodwin at GABP: 10g, .922ops

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-31-2020)

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    GM Dick Williams stated that the trade came together rather easily, stating "Really, there was Naughton to it."
    “It was a Good win for us.”

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-02-2020),alwaysawarrior (09-03-2020),Edd Roush (08-31-2020),OGB (09-03-2020),Redeyecat (08-31-2020),Revering4Blue (09-02-2020),UKFlounder (08-31-2020)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Career 0.783 OPS. Akiyama will never even approach that.

Don't like losing another LHP in Naughton, but I'll gladly take this deal.

An OF of Aquino/Goodwin/Castellanos is what I'd like to see.
    Last edited by malcontent; 08-31-2020 at 06:46 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Dick Williams was eating cereal in the kitchen, when his wife asked him who he traded away.

Attachment 16483
    Sadly he had a different cereal earlier in the year.

13. Likes:

MrRedSkull (08-31-2020),Old school 1983 (08-31-2020)

C. トレント・ローズクランズ
    @ctrent
    From #Reds: Sent to the Angels minor league LHP Jose Salvador to complete Monday’s trade in which the Reds acquired OF Brian Goodwin from LAA for minor league LHP Packy Naughton and a player to be named.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Career 0.783 OPS. Akiyama will never even approach that.

Don't like losing another LHP in Naughton, but I'll gladly take this deal.

An OF of Aquino/Goodwin/Castellanos is what I'd like to see.
    Akiyama may fail, but I'm consistently amazed at people judging a guy moving halfway around the world in a pandemic with no support system after less than 40 games.
    He literally has zero people he can talk to right now.
    Imagine going through your everyday where you can only nod and smile at the people you work closely with.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

16. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-03-2020),CaiGuy (09-03-2020),HammerTime (09-09-2020),ochoa30 (09-03-2020),Old school 1983 (09-03-2020),RedlegJake (09-03-2020),Revering4Blue (09-03-2020),SirFelixCat (09-08-2020),Tom Servo (09-03-2020),Tony Cloninger (09-08-2020),wolfboy (09-03-2020),Wonderful Monds (09-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Akiyama may fail, but I'm consistently amazed at people judging a guy moving halfway around the world in a pandemic with no support system after less than 40 games.
    Imagine going through your everyday where you can only nod and smile at the people you work closely with.
    Shogo does have his family to talk to, I think. Wasn't there a picture of Shogo and his entire family at one of the American Airports when he came over? Plus, there's a translator for him too, isn't there? I am not sure about that, but I assume there would be if he can't speak English.

Yes, it's hard to adjust from the Japaneese to the American baseball. But that doesn't change the fact that the front office gave him a huge contract and he flopped. Nothing personal against him, just like there was nothing personal against Milton either.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

18. Likes:

malcontent (09-08-2020)

He hasn’t flopped after playing less than 50 games. Eric Davis was a flop based on that rational.

20. Likes:

fondfoat (09-15-2020),SirFelixCat (09-08-2020)

From Cincinnati.com in February:
    The 31-year-old Akiyama admitted he was a little nervous, but he thought it was a good thing. ... One thing that's surprised coaches and teammates is how well Akiyama speaks English. Akiyama said he hasn't been able to practice his English much since he arrived in Arizona, but he's been able to hold conversations.

22. Likes:

malcontent (09-08-2020),REDREAD (09-09-2020)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    He's 32. Not a rookie. I'm looking at his swing, his propensity to hit it on the ground (not a great outcome for today's LHHs), and the complete lack of power.

I've already said that he seems like a great guy, so I wish he did succeed. I just don't see it happening to any appreciable degree.

Then there is the fact that he's preventing Aquino from getting more playing time. We can go the Peraza route all over again, hoping and praying for the best, and refusing to believe our lying eyes.

I fully expect we will.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

24. Likes:

REDREAD (09-09-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Shogo does have his family to talk to, I think. Wasn't there a picture of Shogo and his entire family at one of the American Airports when he came over? Plus, there's a translator for him too, isn't there? I am not sure about that, but I assume there would be if he can't speak English.

Yes, it's hard to adjust from the Japaneese to the American baseball. But that doesn't change the fact that the front office gave him a huge contract and he flopped. Nothing personal against him, just like there was nothing personal against Milton either.
    They did not give him a “huge” contract, and his salary isn’t remotely comparable to Milton’s given that 25 million in 2020 is not the same as 25 million in 2005 in MLB dollars.
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 09-08-2020 at 06:41 PM.

26. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-08-2020),wolfboy (09-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    He hasn’t flopped after playing less than 50 games. Eric Davis was a flop based on that rational.
    Shogo is a flop until he proves otherwise. If he starts hitting, I will say he's a good player.
    We are allowed to judge players based on their results, as long as we are open minded and willing to change our mind based on more results.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

28. Likes:

malcontent (09-09-2020)

Turn Off Ads?