Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Reds trade for Angels' OF Brian Goodwin

Re: Reds trade for Angels' OF Brian Goodwin

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    They did not give him a “huge” contract, and his salary isn’t remotely comparable to Milton’s given that 25 million in 2020 is not the same as 25 million in 2005 in MLB dollars.
    7 million dollars for a 4th OF is a big contract. Yes, I am aware of inflation, so in real dollars, it's more than a 3 million difference, but the point remains.

Only 1 of the 5 primary free agents that Williams has signed has worked out.
    Shogo was a dumb signing, probably motivated by panic, as Williams was unsure if he could sign a big OF bat like Ozuna, Castellnos, etc.

Let me put it this way, if you had a time machine and could undo the Shogo signing and use that 7 million elsewhere, would you? I am guessing you would.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

malcontent (09-09-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    7 million dollars for a 4th OF is a big contract. Yes, I am aware of inflation, so in real dollars, it's more than a 3 million difference, but the point remains.

Only 1 of the 5 primary free agents that Williams has signed has worked out.
    Shogo was a dumb signing, probably motivated by panic, as Williams was unsure if he could sign a big OF bat like Ozuna, Castellnos, etc.

Let me put it this way, if you had a time machine and could undo the Shogo signing and use that 7 million elsewhere, would you? I am guessing you would.
    I think Shogo was signed with an eye towards him being a 4th OF/Insurance Policy. Senzel was coming off an injury and they needed an alternative to play CF. There weren't any real options on the FA market. Shogo came along and seemed to fit. He was coming from Japan, so there was a bit of a bidding war and the Reds probably over-paid, but they wanted a foot in the door in the Japanese market, so, they paid a premium because at the time they really needed him and they wanted to join in on the Japanese player market.

I always thought he was a question mark. Japan is a much lesser league. Minor league cast-offs go over there an become stars. On top of that, at 32, he's entering the decline phase of his career. Shogo as a puzzle piece to deepen the roster made sense. Shogo as a mainstay on the offense seemed pretty iffy all along.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

CaiGuy (09-15-2020),Patrick Bateman (09-09-2020),Revering4Blue (09-09-2020)

Since it is reasonable to call Shogo a flop so quickly, can we now call him a success?

Last 7 games: .318/.483/.364
    Last 15 games: .289/.460/.342

Of course, this is a bit tongue in cheek, but things are looking promising.
    Last edited by fondfoat; 09-15-2020 at 05:52 AM. Reason: spelling

7. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-15-2020),CaiGuy (09-15-2020),Kc61 (09-15-2020),StRedlegs900 (09-15-2020),wally post (09-15-2020)

A core outfield for next year of Shogo, Castellanos, Senzel, and Goodwin is well balanced. Of course, Cast has to hit better, he’s the “big bat” of the group.

Winker as DH who plays OF in a pinch. Maybe a RHH fifth OFer or utility player, could be Aquino or Jonathan India or a new guy.

Like the balance Shogo and Goodwin add. Have to work on another good infielder to deepen that group.

Quote Originally Posted by fondfoat View Post
    Since it is reasonable to call Shogo a flop so quickly, can we now call him a success?

Last 7 games: .318/.483/.364
    Last 15 games: .289/.460/.342

Of course, this is a bit tongue in cheek, but things are looking promising.
    Dude is having some seriously nice at bats as of late. The lack of power really doesn’t bug me. Reds have plenty of power elsewhere. Watching a batter work the pitcher and getting on base is fun as opposed to the current 3 outcome state of the game.

10. Likes:

HammerTime (09-15-2020),paulrichjr (09-15-2020),Revering4Blue (09-15-2020),Tuff Nut (09-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Dude is having some seriously nice at bats as of late. The lack of power really doesn’t bug me. Reds have plenty of power elsewhere. Watching a batter work the pitcher and getting on base is fun as opposed to the current 3 outcome state of the game.
    Exactly. If anyone needs a guy like Shogo, it's the Reds.

A baserunner? What on Earth is that? I thought you had to hit the ball over the fence for any runs to count.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-15-2020)

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

While Jeff Brantley is not the world's foremost expert on outfielders, he has been very bullish on Shogo lately. I can see why. He is putting the bat on the ball and taking walks to get on base. He is a tough out, normally, and he gets the pitch count up for opposing starters. He is not the full package, but I do not see him as a flop.

If I could undo a free agent contract at this point, it would be Nick Cast. He doesn't want to DH, but his is not a good outfielder. I don't get into the metrics, I trust more what I see and I do not see him as a starting OF'er. His bat has also been very iffy since the first 10 games. I think the Reds could spend his promised money for next year better. I hope he opts out.

The ball was hit to him recently in a sac fly situation, not very deep. The announcer for the other team said, "They are going to challenge his arm!" The throw barely made it past first base and almost rolled to Tucker. I miss Jay.

14. Likes:

BillDoran (09-15-2020),Chip R (09-15-2020),onehand (09-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Larkin View Post
    I think the Reds could spend his promised money for next year better. I hope he opts out.
    While I can see there may be a better use for his promised money, do we really want to trust the Reds brain trust to find that better use?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think Shogo was signed with an eye towards him being a 4th OF/Insurance Policy. Senzel was coming off an injury and they needed an alternative to play CF. There weren't any real options on the FA market. Shogo came along and seemed to fit. He was coming from Japan, so there was a bit of a bidding war and the Reds probably over-paid, but they wanted a foot in the door in the Japanese market, so, they paid a premium because at the time they really needed him and they wanted to join in on the Japanese player market.

I always thought he was a question mark. Japan is a much lesser league. Minor league cast-offs go over there an become stars. On top of that, at 32, he's entering the decline phase of his career. Shogo as a puzzle piece to deepen the roster made sense. Shogo as a mainstay on the offense seemed pretty iffy all along.
    I see what you're saying, but it seems foolish to pay 21 million dollars to get the foot in the door in Japan.
    I really don't see how signing Shogo is going to bring more Japaneese talent here. Most of these guys are going to the highest
    bidder, or if they want fame, they go to the bigger markets.
    It seems to me that people are giving the Front office a lot of extra leeway just because Shogo is Japaneese.
    If the Reds signed an American player to the same contract, I think this move would be highly criticized.

Even with Shogo's recent hot streak, he's still got a 630 OPS. That's just not acceptable, especially for a guy as well
    paid as Shogo is.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

its lower than aquino who is batting .179,, hideki matsui could come out of retirement and beat that

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I see what you're saying, but it seems foolish to pay 21 million dollars to get the foot in the door in Japan.
    I really don't see how signing Shogo is going to bring more Japaneese talent here. Most of these guys are going to the highest
    bidder, or if they want fame, they go to the bigger markets.
    It seems to me that people are giving the Front office a lot of extra leeway just because Shogo is Japaneese.
    If the Reds signed an American player to the same contract, I think this move would be highly criticized.

Even with Shogo's recent hot streak, he's still got a 630 OPS. That's just not acceptable, especially for a guy as well
    paid as Shogo is.
    I don't think the point is that his overall play has been acceptable...it really hasn't.

I think the point is that it's baseball, so you need more than a ~30 game sample of Corona-Baseball to make a declaration. Especially guys first 30 games in the league.

It would be nice if he flashed a little power.

19. Likes:

HammerTime (09-15-2020),Old school 1983 (09-15-2020),REDREAD (09-15-2020),Tom Servo (09-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    I don't think the point is that his overall play has been acceptable...it really hasn't.

I think the point is that it's baseball, so you need more than a ~30 game sample of Corona-Baseball to make a declaration. Especially guys first 30 games in the league.

It would be nice if he flashed a little power.
    Agreed, I hope he gets better next year too. I doubt he suddenly discovers power though.
    Hopefully he raise the batting average up next year, and get some value that way.
    He's going to have the problem that a lot of fleas have though. If he has no power, the walks will likely dry up, and
    he's going to have to have a high batting average to drive his OBP.

21. Likes:

CaiGuy (09-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    He's had excellent at bats. If he keeps working the count and getting on base I don't care if he ever has a 2B or better. We have been missing a true lead-off hitter for a long time. He seems to be coming around.

23. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-15-2020),SirFelixCat (09-15-2020)

Turn Off Ads?